User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Police Officers and Indentifying themselves

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Natalka, FallenPixels and erin9mmm like this.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

I have respect for any police officer that shows me respect, and by refusing to identify yourself when asked politely to do so they are not showing me any respect. Also when you are in a large crowd that is either hostile or you view has the ability to become hostile, why wouldn't you take every measure to calm them? And if simply giving them your name or badge number when asked could calm them, why wouldn't you? Seems to me more of a control issue on their part or they are looking for violence.
    glowworm2k likes this.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

a police officer has to show his or her information if they do not have it displayed. If a cop comes to your door and they say they are the police, before letting them in, by law, they must show their ID that they are a police office and the reason they are on your property, if you request it. If they do that just going to your door, they should do that if they are there trying to arrest people. People have the right to know their info so if they feel they were arrested without cause they have the info the file a complaint etc. I to agree that cops sometimes go on power trips. But there are good cops out there, just some give them all a bad rep.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
    TaraF likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 08:14 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ You don't have to no, but if you don't have anything to hide than you can at least ask for idea and the reason why. But if I was arrested by a police officer for no reason, than honestly i wont be trusting the police period. For my own peace of mind I would want to know their info. So that way any paper work I do get I know it has the proper info of that person.
    TaraF likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jul 20th, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

^ I agree with you, that if someone is breaking the law yes they should be arrested, but you have to understand something, when a bunch of cops come up to you (when you think your not doing anything wrong) and start getting into your face and then arrest you, what would you like to know? The police officer or officers info that arrested you. Meaning physically hurting you to arrest you and to take you away. What if your injured during this? You need to know. Because if you do have a case against the officer or officers than you have the info yourself.

I am just saying, this is just my thought, just like the comment above is yours. Like i said before not all cops are bad, but hey if you feel your rights were not read or if you feel your rights were hinder because of a cop not knowing how to do their job than of course you should know all the info for them. It's like getting into a car accident? Don't you want to know the info of the driver who hit you? Of course it is common sense.

Also, yes the world needs to know, like your lawyer, the police department your filing the complaint with and the media outlets if needed to get you point across. ( I don't thnk it is wrong getting the media involved to make a situation right)

I respect your thought but i don't have to agree with it.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

For most forces, they only have to identify themselves and give you a badge number if they are actually arresting you (asking a random cop for his badge number is like me stopping you in the street and demanding to know your name IMO).

The person arrested at the beginning has every right to ask, those asking the officer directing traffic not so much (and I would be interested to see if the police asked for a protest permit since at the beginning, they obviously were not blocking traffic for the protest which is part of the permit)
    Also when on government property or within a certain distance of their properties, there are special services who protect politicians, they would come under different rules.

As far as would I give a hostile crowd a badge number? Nope. Do you know how many false accusations are made about police officers? Why give them a badge number to use against you when its none of their business until he is enforcing a law against you other than just directing traffic and keeping you off the road?
    Natalka likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Yes, people make flase claims about police officers all the time and it is wrong. But also there are the complaints that are true and vaild and should be looked at and dealt with. Also, cops pull over people who don't do nothing wrong for no reason. It has happen to me before, not doing anything wrong and getting pulled over for no reason??? You wasted my time and your time when you could be pulling over a drunk driver or someone breaking the law? "Oh just doing a random check?" Come on. I just think the protesters were just trying to help out the person. I don't think they would go and file a complain right away about the cop.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I respect everyones thoughts and views on the subject. That is what makes Canada great we can have different views and still get along and share those views.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Well I won't allow any person simply dressed as a cop to cuff me and haul me off without identifying themselves. Anyone can rent a cop uniform and police in this country have been found to infiltrate peaceful protesters to cause crap. And even if you don't agree with the chants that were being chanted, the protest was civil and fine but once Derek was arrested on the bogus count of "inciting a riot" and police wouldn't give up names, people got upset.

Oh and lecale, if they wanted to arrest Derek for blocking the street that is FINE with me, arrest him for Jaywalking even, but to arrest him for inciting a riot is BOGUS. Those charges are hefty ones and won't stick since there is video evidence to the contrary.

Derek is no stranger to criticism and he knows what people think of him, and I know what peoples opinions of me are as well since being vocal. The threats are unnerving but I also know that when people start threatening you that you've struck a nerve and are on to something Also another reason why if I was confronted by a cop I'd want ID is that I had someone post on the FB page for the last rally that they were only coming to the event to find me, so yes I expect police to identify themselves when asked.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
    FallenPixels likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First and foremost. No one can just up and rent a Police uniform or any other piece of equipment (yellow vest with Police on it). That is a false argument. If you are willing to kick an Officer in the nuts, then be prepared to get thrown to the ground. HARD! You say you have respect, but I do not see it in your posts. Yes, I would expect them to give their name and badge number, but to go on and on and harass them for it is only making the situation vol-ital. The clip is conveniently edited to only show the last few seconds before he is arrested. He had to have done something (or maybe not done what the Officer instructed him to do) to warrant an arrest. To say it was all video taped is incorrect as there are portions missing or not recorded. If they would not give their names, simply file a complaint with the attached video and leave it at that.

From what it appears, it looks like they were trying to get the protesters off the street for which they were blocking traffic on Sussex. This is Ottawa and the PM lives on Sussex. I would expect them to ensure the road way was clear not just for the PM, but for all who want to drive through.

And and by no means is this a Police State. Most do not know what a true Police State is like.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Actually it isn't a false argument Jadzia, how many times have you heard of uniforms or weapons going missing at police stations? How does the Military misplace weapons? Happens more often than you'd think. I didn't start this thread to dissect what happened but simply to see if anyone knew protocol for officers wearing badges/name tags and asking them to Identify themselves if they aren't. I have respect for anyone in uniform that follows the rules and gives me due respect, when they don't, they won't get it in return.

It was a bogus arrest fitting of a bogus Government and the "Police" were only instigating the peaceful protesters.
    Last edited by TaraF; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am all for peaceful protests, but not in the middle of an intersection that hasn't been shut down. This can be terrifying for motorists, and very dangerous. Also, roads and intersections should not be blocked, as this can especially interfere with ambulance, fire, and police getting to emergencies. Perhaps, the next peaceful protest should be planned on the sidewalk or in a large public place that can hold a sizable group.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information