User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: OMG!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! I DID IT!!! I got my license!!!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Thank you all for the hints and words of encouragement. 6 more days to go - I really hope I can change the thread next monday from I'm finally gonna do it to I DID IT!!! I feel I am a good driver, I just hope the nerves dont get the better of me and I end up making mistakes like not checking the mirror, or run down some poor pedestrian (LOL - JUst kidding!). But thanks for everything guys!
    glowworm2k likes this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

If you're worried about forgetting stuff, you might try what I did, which was to say out loud what you have to do just before you do it. This worked like a charm for me... instructor said to change lanes, so I nodded, said "mirrors, blinker, shoulder check, move, mirrors" and did it all. Then again, I was doing a motorcycle test, so I got the commands through a little earpiece while the examiners tailed (well, tailgated if you want to get technical, LOL) me in a car a few feet back. It might be a bit weird with the examiner right there beside you. You could always try saying it under your breath if you think it might help

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Woohoo! Good for you, and good luck.
    DiamondLil likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

while most teenagers when they hit 16 go for their G1(written test) I was like naah i'll do it later LOl
    at 19, I decided to go for it, I went to driving school, and passed my G1, then 8 months later I went for my G2 (first road test) and I passed with flying colours.
    I then waited about a year and a half before going for my full license G(second road test)
    I failed. I hit the curb while parallell parking, therefore apparently I cant drive properly. My tester didnt even bother to tell me until we get back to the test centre that i failed.
    I told him to get the ******* out of my car.
    i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo mad.
    I waited another full year and abit before going again.
    I decided theres no way im failing this year, so i coughed up $300 for 5 refresher lessons with my driving school and im so glad i did!
    I passed! with flying colours!

So just relax, take a deep breath, and dont think of it as a test.
    easier said than done I know, but during my test I pretended I was driving by myself, and I felt much more confident!
    AmberLab and DiamondLil like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Use the "think system", if you think you can, you will.

So important advice:

- wear proper footwear, no sandals
    - come to complete and total stops at stop signs, do not "roll" your stops
    - ask if there will be anything asked of you that is not on the up and up, no tricks
    - do not rush it, drive carefully and remember to breathe, keep calm as possible
    - shut off your cell phone and put it in the back seat
    and the most important is constantly check your blind spots, and make sure to make sure they see you do it. They will be looking at their clipboard during the test so you may have to over-emphasize the action.

And have a bathroom break before you go out on the road.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
    DiamondLil and Natalka like this.
    I feel evil !!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by c_mcarthur View Post
    I failed. I hit the curb while parallell parking, therefore apparently I cant drive properly. My tester didnt even bother to tell me until we get back to the test centre that i failed.
    That happened to me too! Well, not in the same exact words.. but she failed me for "stopping too slow". I thought I had passed but when we got back to the centre the wench said "congratulations, you failed" !! I was devastated
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    That happened to me too! Well, not in the same exact words.. but she failed me for "stopping too slow". I thought I had passed but when we got back to the centre the wench said "congratulations, you failed" !! I was devastated
    Oh, that is just mean.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by evilbon View Post
    Use the "think system", if you think you can, you will.

So important advice:

- wear proper footwear, no sandals
    - come to complete and total stops at stop signs, do not "roll" your stops
    - ask if there will be anything asked of you that is not on the up and up, no tricks
    - do not rush it, drive carefully and remember to breathe, keep calm as possible
    - shut off your cell phone and put it in the back seat
    and the most important is constantly check your blind spots, and make sure to make sure they see you do it. They will be looking at their clipboard during the test so you may have to over-emphasize the action.

And have a bathroom break before you go out on the road.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
    More great hints - and thanks for the one on the footwear. I am now slipping on summer shoes when heading out the door. I gotta remember to wear "real" shoes for this! I've gotten so many good hints and suggestions from you all.... I am definitely gonna use this thread on the weekend when preparing for the test (gonna practice my parallel parking and merging into traffic). THANK YOU ALL!!!!
    Natalka and glowworm2k like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I've got a question for all you savvy test takers..LOL This happened to me during a driving test and always makes me bonkers to think about. Picture this....you are about to begin a driving test....you are parked with your back car end up against a curb with grass and a road sign and a fence behind you. No cars on either side of you. Do you look behind you and check both your blind spots before you pull out forward into the parking lot? Well, I didn't look behind me with my butt up against a curb and no one in sight. I got docked 4 points for it. Every driver I've talked to said they would do the same thing in my situation, and so this situation always stuck in my craw.
    Last edited by AmberLab; Thu, May 10th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    I've got a question for all you savvy test takers..LOL This happened to me during a driving test and always makes me bonkers to think about. Picture this....you are about to begin a driving test....you are parked with your back car end up against a curb with grass and a road sign and a fence behind you. No cars on either side of you. Do you look behind you and check both your blind spots before you pull out forward into the parking lot? Well, I didn't look behind me with my butt up against a curb and no one in sight. I got docked 4 points for it. Every driver I've talked to said they would do the same thing in my situation, and so this situation always stuck in my craw.
    With tests, there's no leeway. Even though I wouldn't check either, I would definitely check while on a test. They don't accept "but I didn't need to in that situation". They want to see you do all the steps all the time. Even if you're about to turn right in an intersection that has no pedistrian crossing allowed, you still have to check your blindspot even though no one should be there.

Kind of like driving with hands at 10/2 for the test but not normally lol. Well, at least I don't :D

That's a really stupid thing to nitpick on though.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lordy..why do they still make people parallel-park?!! I've had my license for 42 years and have NEVER parallel parked! That's what malls are for! And parking garages! Good luck, Sweetie! Just take a few moments before you go to do some imaginary thinking...imagine yourself a success...being handed your "passed" form....and RE-LAX!
    DiamondLil likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I haven't parallel parked since I took my test...I rather walk an extra couple of metres than attempt it.
    DiamondLil likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

lol, I'm always parallel parking. If you live in a big city, it's essential!

But yeah, not necessary in parking lots XD

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Lordy..why do they still make people parallel-park?!! I've had my license for 42 years and have NEVER parallel parked! That's what malls are for! And parking garages! Good luck, Sweetie! Just take a few moments before you go to do some imaginary thinking...imagine yourself a success...being handed your "passed" form....and RE-LAX!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know what you mean, should I pass this test, where the heck am I gonna use that skill again? Good idea though to visualize succeeding - I have to also mentally remind myself when I do this test that in a few minutes, it will be over (used that mental trick when I was delivering each of my 5 babies, so it goes to show, I've been through harder things and made it through - LOL).
    Lynn49 likes this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Oy, we have to parallel park all the time! It's one thing I learned really well and, in turn, my son is totally grateful I taught it to him well, because he has so many friends who can't do it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information