User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 2 Post By Lesley73
  • 1 Post By DaveP

Thread: Not just man's best friend...

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Love your pets like family, 'cause we know they love us like it...
    Christine and her dog Lilly

Last week, an 8-year-old pit bull named Lilly pulled her unconscious owner away from an oncoming freight train.
    Christine Spain, 54, was walking home from her boyfriend's place with her dog just after midnight on May 3rd when she collapsed onto the train tracks in Shirley, Massachusetts...
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    DANGER

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's the pitbull personality I know and adore. . . .

I can no longer own one because Ontario stupidly bans them. We punish the breed here in Ontario, not the criminal bad owners. . .
    Lynn49, GoJays, xox2010 and 1 others like this.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's why I love all those breeds that people seem to "hate". They are strong and their heart beats for one person, their owner. Seriously, pit bulls are awesome dogs. I've never personally owned one but I remember meeting one once and he just licked my face completely, happy that someone was just paying attention to him.

I, too, wish Ontario would lift the ban

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

I too love pit bulls! It's a shame the way they have been branded. Very close to racial discrimination in my view. Law makers across canada and the US need to realize that dogs are animals and will behave as animals, it is the owners responsibility to ensure proper handling and caring! Here is my guy, wouldn't hurt a fly, loves to sit in your lap, extremely loyal and so loving and caring with my 1 and 2 year olds, very thankful we live in Alberta and NL where there is not yet a misguided ban Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337831305.694569.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  44.3 KB
    Lynn49 and DaveP like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

[tin-foilhat]..pits are evil pure ebul, I tells ya![/TFH]

look at dat qutie....snuggles down wif da pitie..

Sadly it's not just USA and canada, the Uk is trying to breed pits out of existance ...which means only the people who keep and breed them really don't give a $h!t about he dogs. They are just a symbol of how bad@$$ the owner is....sigh.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

A 2000 report issued by the Center for Disease and Control (CDC) reviewed a 20-year period to determine the types of dog breeds most responsible for U.S. dog bite fatalities.

• During 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997 and 9 in 1998). At least 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 human dog bite related fatalities during the past 20 years. Pit bulls and rottweilers were involved in over half of these fatalities and from 1997 to 1998 were involved in 67%

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006
    to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in a recent 3-year period. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

• Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
    • The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada,
    September 1982 to December 26, 2011

By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, shows the breeds most responsible for serious injury and death.
    The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids:

• 77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
    • 73% of attacks to children
    • 81% of attack to adults
    • 68% of attacks that result in fatalities
    • 76% that result in maiming

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmel View Post
    A 2000 report issued by the Center for Disease and Control (CDC) reviewed a 20-year period to determine the types of dog breeds most responsible for U.S. dog bite fatalities.

• During 1997 and 1998, at least 27 people died of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997 and 9 in 1998). At least 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 human dog bite related fatalities during the past 20 years. Pit bulls and rottweilers were involved in over half of these fatalities and from 1997 to 1998 were involved in 67%

Report: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006
    to December 2008

A 2009 report issued by DogsBite.org shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 deaths in a recent 3-year period. Pit bulls accounted for 59% followed by rottweilers with 14%.

• Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period.
    • The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada,
    September 1982 to December 26, 2011

By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2011, Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, shows the breeds most responsible for serious injury and death.
    The combination of pit bulls, rottweilers, their close mixes and wolf hybrids:

• 77% of attacks that induce bodily harm
    • 73% of attacks to children
    • 81% of attack to adults
    • 68% of attacks that result in fatalities
    • 76% that result in maiming
    From what I understand. bad owners are the problem, not bad dogs. You need to know what you are doing with some breeds like pit bulls. (bad owners make bad dogs) Raise the dog right and it's harmless to humans. When I was in my mid teens I'd go weightlifting in a neighborhood gym. The owner had two pit bulls, very affectionate dogs.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

t's not only the bad owners the problem with these dogs. It's also the damage they do if they do bite someone.

Through selective breeding, pit bulls have developed enormous jaw strength, as well as a ruinous "hold and shake" bite style, designed to inflict the maximum damage possible on their victims. This bite trait delivered winning results in the fighting pit. When the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the Denver pit bull ban in 2005, the high court set aside characteristics that pit bulls displayed when they attack that differ from all other dog breeds. One of these characteristics was their lethal bite:
    "[pit bulls] inflict more serious wounds than other breeds. They tend to attack the deep muscles, to hold on, to shake, and to cause ripping of tissues. Pit bull attacks were compared to shark attacks."

Leading pit bull education websites, such as Pit Bull Rescue Central, encourage pit bull owners to be responsible and to always carry a "break stick" -- a tool used to pry open a pit bull's jaws -- in case their dog "accidentally" gets into a fight. These same websites also warn that using a break stick on any other dog breed may cause serious injury to the person.12 This is true because no other dog breed possesses the pit bull's tenacity combined with a "hold and shake" bite style.One of the most powerful examples of a pit bull "not letting go" occurred in an Ohio courtroom. During the Toledo v. Tellings trial (Tellings was convicted of violating the City of Toledo's pit bull ordinance), Lucas County Dog Warden Tom Skeldon showed a videotape of a tranquilized pit bull hanging from a steel cable. The dog is essentially unconscious and still does not release its grip. At the time of the taping, the pit bull was being housed at the Lucas County Animal Shelter.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

The owners of these dogs are the problem.
    Not the dogs themselves.
    I would really like to see a study done on the owners that owned these pitbulls that made up the 81%.
    Do Pit Bulls have a strong bite, hell yes. Thus, any owner of one should take the necessary precautions to ensure that there is no chance to allow the dog to get into a situation that would force it to bite.

These dogs have gotten a bad rap due to the fact that they became a popular breed, which means they were over-bred, soon every Tom, Dick & Harry started backyard breeding pitbulls. Mother to son, Father to Daughter etc. which is never a good situation for any breed of dog. It gets popular and then everyone wants to get in on the game.

Don't blame a breed because they are living up to their heritage. We all know what these dogs were used for back in the day.
    Blame the owners for not taking the right precautions with this breed.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

If you talk to dog trainers & vet techs, pitties are not at the top of their list. Among large breeds, Huskies tend to be the ones who bite. Among smaller breeds, cocker spaniels are notorious for unprovoked bites (American cockers vs English - back in 1938, a beautiful but nasty tempered pup named My Own Brucie won at Westminster & as a result of his "championship", went on to sire a whole whack of very pretty but cranky pups - effectively messing up the gene pool due to overbreeding ).

Any dog can cause harm, even a Pomeranian (one killed an infant back in 2001):
    http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...omeranian.html

Pitbulls were originally bred to be dog fighters, but very very people friendly. This is cause the dog owners at these fights didn't trust each other, so the dogs had to be willing to let strangers check them over & wipe them down - this was done in case some unscrupulous owner put poison on the dog's coat which would kill his opponent.

Years later, once the nitwits found something better to do than fight dogs, the breed became popular as "Nanny" dogs, because they were gentle enough to be trusted to take care of the children while the adults went about the running of the household.

Here's an interesting story about the first dog to be given the rank of sergeant:
    http://pitbulladvocate101.com/NoteABull.php

& if you ever watched the Our Gang movies, Pete is a pitbull (& Max Factor was responsible for the distinguished circle round his eye ).

The original Nipper (the pup in the RCA ads) was a pitbull mix.

Better stop now before my mutts get jealous.
    Last edited by Andit; Thu, May 24th, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: formatting went squirrelly

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Myth #1: It's the owner not the breed

The outdated debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 30-year old problem.1 Designed to protect pit bull breeders and owners, the slogan ignores the genetic history of the breed and blames these horrific maulings -- inflicted by the pit bull's genetic "hold and shake" bite style -- on environmental factors. While environment plays a role in a pit bull's behavior, it is genetics that leaves pit bull victims with permanent and disfiguring injury.
    The pit bull's genetic traits are not in dispute. Many U.S. courts agree that pit bulls pose a significant danger to society and can be regulated accordingly. Some of the genetic traits courts have identified include: unpredictability of aggression, tenacity ("gameness" the refusal to give up a fight), high pain tolerance and the pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style.2 According to forensic medical studies, similar injuries have only been found elsewhere on victims of shark attacks.3
    Perpetuators of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which pit bull owners and family members are victimized by their pet dogs. From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 128 Americans, about one citizen every 20 days. Of these attacks, 51% (65) involved a family member and a household pit bull.4 In the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner -- one was even an "avid supporter" of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I feel sorry in many ways for that breed..really i do..i love dogs and it's always so sad when one as to be put down when many times it should be the owners..sorry but i really feel that many owners of these dogs shouldnt even be allowed to own nothing that actually breaths air. But doesnt change the fact that i would never ever have a pitt..just because it's too darn powerful if any that knows pitts, knows that once it bites and locks, you pretty much can kiss your ass goodbye.

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay, It IS the owner not the dog. I'm sorry but this is something I am VERY passionate about. I have two dogs, I LOVE dogs. I'll see one walking in the street and I'll know what breed and I will ask to pet it. If the OWNER (remember, owner is a human, owner is in control) has CONTROL over the dog and the dog has been TRAINED PROPERLY, then the dog will not BITE! Is it that hard to get through some people's heads?! Ugh.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kparker1786 View Post
    Okay, It IS the owner not the dog. I'm sorry but this is something I am VERY passionate about. I have two dogs, I LOVE dogs. I'll see one walking in the street and I'll know what breed and I will ask to pet it. If the OWNER (remember, owner is a human, owner is in control) has CONTROL over the dog and the dog has been TRAINED PROPERLY, then the dog will not BITE! Is it that hard to get through some people's heads?! Ugh.
    Now, now, play nice..

Thread Information