User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Poirot
  • 1 Post By Poirot

Thread: warning about Summit Esso 7111-50 Avenue Red Deer

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was charged tonight $0.75 for buying a $15 Subway gift card there.Don't don't buy any gift cards there!!! I think Sultan who was the cashier thinks he should charge GST on gift cards.I was refused a receipt on this $0.75 charge.I emailed Esso.I'm going to phone Esso tomorrow and if don't get my money back I'm going to contact Canadian Consumer and Corporate Affairs and the tax office.I'm sure they would be interested in a company fraudulently collecting money.
    This thread is currently associated with: Esso - Imperial Oil, Subway
    Shwa Girl likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

how did you make out with calling Esso? Curious

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by trulyblessed View Post
    how did you make out with calling Esso? Curious
    The lady I talked to said every place she goes to taxes gift cards and it's up to the Summit Esso if I get my $0.75 back.I tried to tax office ring and ring then the tax office in Winnipeg busy signal.I emailed Consumer and Corporate Affairs no response yet.
    Last edited by Poirot; Sat, May 26th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I don't believe that. I have never heard of such a thing. Subway will charge you GST while you are there buying your food. So to get taxed twice for the initial money is insane.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by coley3 View Post
    I don't believe that. I have never heard of such a thing. Subway will charge you GST while you are there buying your food. So to get taxed twice for the initial money is insane.
    I couldn't believe it either.I haven't bought any gift cards there for a long time but I have never have been charged money at that location except the face value of the gift card before.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Just curious, why didnt you just throw the card back at him and ask for your money back and go some place else and get your gift card, like SDM or Safeway?

Follow my Beauty Blog on instagram @officialbestofglam
    or on facebook @bestofglam

I write reviews on all new and upcoming beauty products
    Sephora is my grand love

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MostarkaGirl View Post
    Just curious, why didnt you just throw the card back at him and ask for your money back and go some place else and get your gift card, like SDM or Safeway?
    I already paid for the gift card and lottery tickets.You can't get money back on gift cards.I get Aeroplan miles and I needed some more transactions to get 1500 Aeroplan mile bonus.
    Last edited by Poirot; Sun, May 27th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wouldnt classify it as fraudulently collecting money. I would classify it as mis-informed.

First off, if over charged on GST the business doesn't benefit from that. They submit a remittance for GST and all GST taken in the register would be given to the government.

Second off, gift card companies do a terrible job of education on this. GST is charged at the business (so you take the $15 card in, and Subway takes GST off). So gift cardsshould have no GST (I believe within exception for phone card credits because it's instant load on your account...eg) $20+gst gets you $20 credit on Telus )

You can see how people would expect GST on card purchases, because any non-consumable item in Canada has GST guaranteed. GST is to be charged at the redemption though in this case.

I don't think he is honestly trying to dupe you, because GST doesn't benefit him. I think he's just not in the know on this.

Thread Information