User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Do you shred all junk mail with your name on it?

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with the husband...you might be a little too paranoid. Some things you should always remove your info, but i wouldn't worry about it that much.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, it would be so nice to be able to have somewhere to do burning!
    That said, we have bags and bags waiting to be shredded (ours takes forever to do it, so I procrastinate).

When I was growing up, we had a burning barrel in our backyard - used to love doing that with my dad!
    That's where our junk mail goes If it's burnable it goes in the burn barrel. Then we have a compost bin for food stuffs. Then we recycle the rest. We rarely ever have actual garbage once you start composting and burning paper products and recycling the rest there is very little left that doesn't fit into one of the three.
    Kalmel, lecale and DaveP like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, it would be so nice to be able to have somewhere to do burning!
    That said, we have bags and bags waiting to be shredded (ours takes forever to do it, so I procrastinate).

When I was growing up, we had a burning barrel in our backyard - used to love doing that with my dad!
    My shredder only takes up to ten sheets, then it need to cool down. I've taken to just tearing off the names and private info and just shredding that...the rest goes in garbage or recycling. My parents had a burning barrel in their backyard too. I bet people would complain about the smoke now though...

What do you think about the new recycling system that's coming out this Fall? I would be surprised if our city doesn't eventually move towards a user pay system for garbage removal ie. you pay for how many bags you toss. That would really make people think about what gets tossed and what gets composted and recycled!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

marstec, that's how our shredder is, too - I guess that's what we get for buying a cheapie a while back!
    As for a burning barrel, not allowed in our city! I can handle paper being burned by people in their outdoor firepits, but some do sometimes try to burn other stuff (we had to call the fire dept. on a neighbour who was burning green branches - gosh, you should have seen the smoke, and it stunk so much!).

About Saskatoon's coming new recycling system - we do all we can now, so I'm not thrilled they are making it mandatory. Yup, I wouldn't be surprized either if they start limiting bags on regular garbage.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    My shredder only takes up to ten sheets, then it need to cool down. I've taken to just tearing off the names and private info and just shredding that...the rest goes in garbage or recycling. My parents had a burning barrel in their backyard too. I bet people would complain about the smoke now though...

What do you think about the new recycling system that's coming out this Fall? I would be surprised if our city doesn't eventually move towards a user pay system for garbage removal ie. you pay for how many bags you toss. That would really make people think about what gets tossed and what gets composted and recycled!
    We already have to pay for every bag of garbage removed. It's $3/bag so that is why we started composting/burning/recycling everything.
    Natalka and lecale like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    91 (100%)

I did... until I tried to google my address one time and the primary houseowner and phone number showed up! That's when I gave up and only shredded bills/account numbers.

But I'm trying to google it again and I can't find any info so maybe I will start shredding everything again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information