• 1 Post By mrsfreeman
  • 2 Post By Sally888
  • 3 Post By YOU AND ME
  • 3 Post By lecale

Thread: People who cry poverty

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Expired
    There is one rant that I feel should be said. There have been many times on here that I seen people complain about living in poverty. The one thing that really annoys me is that they complain there is no tear pads, yet they go to coupon swaps with many coupons, they complain they have no money for food yet they have cars that need gas and they have internet. As someone who was in the military for 25 years and been all over the world to see horrible poverty, I laugh when I hear this. I know that many people in our country have tough financial problems. But alot of people do something about it to make it better. I do not have any children but I know that if I did, feeding them would be more important than having the internet. I also know that many Scrs do recyle walks and that is fantastic. They are doing something to better themselves, even if it means going through the blue boxes to get coupons or FPCS and pin codes to earn gifts. Yet those same people who always complain about things will say I could never do that or I am to busy to do that. To me if you have no job how can you be to busy to do a walk, some will argue they have kids and cannot do it. I have read on here many times mothers going for recyle walk with their kids in tow. some who even have twins and triplets. By the way to those of you who do it with your children along with you have my highest respect...you are doing something for your family and spending time with your children in the process. I know the endless possiblities of couponing and if these people constantly complain about having it so bad are on here, they also know the endless possiblities of couponing... So my advice to you would be to get off your behind and do something to change your situation. I know how expensive internet and car insurance can be so how can people who are not working afford this. If they can, they are not living in poverty. Sorry if this post offends anyone, but it is just my opinion.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by sharkie; Sun, Jun 10th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
    couponer2 likes this.

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
    There is one rant that I feel should be said. There have been many times on here that I seen people complain about living in poverty. The one thing that really annoys me is that they complain there is no tear pads, yet they go to coupon swaps with many coupons, they complain they have no money for food yet they have cars that need gas and they have internet. As someone who was in the military for 25 years and been all over the world to see horrible poverty, I laugh when I hear this. I know that many people in our country have tough financial problems. But alot of people do something about it to make it better. I do not have any children but I know that if I did, feeding them would be more important than having the internet. I also know that many Scrs do recyle walks and that is fantastic. They are doing something to better themselves, even if it means going through the blue boxes to get coupons or FPCS and pin codes to earn gifts. Yet those same people who always complain about things will say I could never do that or I am to busy to do that. To me if you have no job how can you be to busy to do a walk, some will argue they have kids and cannot do it. I have read on here many times mothers going for recyle walk with their kids in tow. some who even have twins and triplets. By the way to those of you who do it with your children along with you have my highest respect...you are doing something for your family and spending time with your children in the process. I know the endless possiblities of couponing and if these people constantly complain about having it so bad are on here, they also know the endless possiblities of couponing... So my advice to you would be to get off your behind and do something to change your situation. I know how expensive internet and car insurance can be so how can people who are not working afford this. If they can, they are not living in poverty. Sorry if this post offends anyone, but it is just my opinion.
    Poverty here is not the same as it is in undeveloped countries.

People complain theres no tear pads usually when they are unable to get the coupons their family needs and will result taking other coupons to meets to acquire the ones they do.

You mention people living in poverty shouldn't be able to afford cars, internet etc.

Would it be cheaper for these people to use buses, taxis etc to get to appointments, shoppings etc? No, not everyone lives around the corner to shopping centers or doctors.
    Internet? I use it to pay for its self as it saves me time having to travel to pay bills, send letters, order coupons etc...

Poverty is not knowing how someone is going to pay for their rent, heat, hydro, food etc. Unless you've dealt with it firsthand you don't know what poverty means. Would couponing honestly solve this ?

Who by choice lives this way?

i try to provide best i can for my family and do coupon but find its still a struggle at times

Not everyone living in poverty can better themself, for many different reasons
    Couponing is a great tool but it doesn't solve poverty.
    Last edited by dariusz8; Sun, Jun 10th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I think I see what the OP is saying. But dariusz8 has a point too, in that poverty here is not the same as what it is in other countries. We have a social safety net, which for some here in Canada amounts to a social safety hammock, someplace to hang out while you're not making enough money to make ends meet. It used to make me really annoyed when my DS was in daycare, and another woman had two kids there, she worked at Tim Hortons and she received subsidized daycare, she paid less for her two than I did for my one child.

Yes, that's important for people for when the unexpected happens, we need to help those who need help. But not long after, this lady at daycare, she got pregnant with twins and was still unable to support even the children she had. I'd offered her coupons before and she laughed in my face, she didn't want them. She was quite comfortable living with taxpayer help, she didn't want to save any money, didn't feel the need to do it.

I have friends who are struggling to make ends meet, yet still don't feel that they could ever live without a car (as we do). They can't imagine life without a car, while we make a lot more than they do and somehow make do without a vehicle. We know a lot of people in this boat, they don't NEED a vehicle but it makes life convenient, so they can't do without it, despite the fact that it costs so much and makes them do without in some areas.
    sharkie likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I am on medical leave and LTD has denied me. The dr.s will not allow me to return to work. And I am still in the appeal process. No pay since Mar 2011. We struggle but I would not say we are in poverty? We are not allowed to go through garbage/recycling in my region-- it is illegal.
    I think there is a big problem with people spending habits. At the food bank near me (I try to give at least once a month) the people that use it are all different. Some can afford rent and hydro but cannot get to the end of the month for food. Others are addicts and are very sick and would not eat without the bank. Others are seniors and are on fixed incomes and rely on the bank weekly. Others need it for a month or two until they are on their feet again. Others drive in with nice cars, smell of cigarettes and complain there is not the food they want there!
    I also think everyone's idea of poverty is different. Depends where you live. What you have had in the past. How much you struggle.
    I don't think poverty is clear cut.
    sharkie likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

its illegal here to remove items from people's recycling bins because its private property and even if its on the curb that bin is still private property. plus my husband will not allow me to go through recycling bins because of all the germs, bugs, and diseases that might be in the recycling bin. told him him about gloves but that is ok but you open a blue bin lid and the smell from some bins plus some bins are never washed. I can see his point completely.
    I agree with Abby5 on people's spending habits I see it with my friends they buy alcohol and other things but eat Mr Noodle and pizza cause that is all they can afford. My husband before he met me he was the working poor and living day to day getting food from banks, churches etc cause work money would pay for rent in an unsafe area of Toronto. Now he is almost done his PhD we still struggle but we have a house to live in and food on the table.
    Plus it all depends on where you live different areas have a higher or lower cost of living. Rent is cheaper is some areas on the country. I was living in Quebec pay $550 2 bedroom all inclusive then in Ottawa same kind of place $1300. Same with food if we took a poll you would see the price of milk varies from place to place.
    Poverty is not clear cut at all.
    dariusz8 and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I’m a stay-at-home mom, because it would be cheaper than sending the kids to the daycare (yes, subsidy is available but you have to be on a waiting list, and while you’re on the list, you have to pay the daycare fees out of your own pocket, which is non-refundable by the government). We live paycheque to paycheque – some months we actually have money saved up, some months we don’t. We have outstanding debts (credit cards, mortgage, line of credit). We don’t own the “best” of things – but we try to live within our budget. We don’t have a detached house, but we still have a roof over our heads – we don’t own a 2010 or 2011 or 2012 vehicle, but our van still gets us to and from our destinations and for us it is a necessity because hubby needs it for work. We make sacrifices elsewhere to cover the cost of the van insurance. I haven’t owned a cell phone in 4 years, kids get toys only on birthdays/Christmas or if there is a really, really good sale. The only assistance we get from the government is UCB and CCTB.

I don’t do recycle walks – because we live in a small community and I guess my pride gets the best of me. I’m not an avid couponer – after baby #2, the only coupons I have been diligent about are her formula coupons, which have helped us save tons.

I have to cut my rant short because my LO is ready for her milk.

Anyways, do I consider us to be poor? No, I consider us to be “middle-class”.
    anastasia1009 and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

thank you everyone for your comments and views they are greatly appreciated, even if they are not the same as mine it does not mean they are any less important....I do understand what you are all saying...and by all means I do not mean everyone in the poverty level thinks this way.....I guess my frustration comes from the people who complain all the time but do absolutley nothing to change their situation ....those are the people that annoy me....as the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink....

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

This has been seen by some members as attacking other members on the forum because you are referring to other members here rather then just in life in general. Im sorry but we can't judge like this. Even the government has the poverty line just below 20k, so yes you can still work and have the internet and still be considered in poverty.
    Jezebel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    138 (100%)

sharkies right, there are a heck of a lot more opportunity in this country than a lot of others. we are provided with a solid education. this country is far from perfect, but we a certainly lucky to be here. and a lot of people, in the shuffle of everyday life, forget this. i doubt her statement was in referal to people with disabilities, it seems more to target people who have become overentitled. ( i dont know if thats the right word, or if it even is a word, but thats what i mean) poverty is not clear cut, but its pretty obvious who is truly in need, and who is milking the system.
    sharkie likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Please please before posting these kind of threads think of who you may be hurting on here. Approx 10% of people in Canada are below the poverty line. So 1 in 10 Smart Canuckers are in poverty. We are all here with one common goal, to save money.

Here are some stat and numbers
    http://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=...id=306&lang=en

there are a lot more sites on the internet too that can give you the bigger picture.

Last edited by Sally888; Sun, Jun 10th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Jezebel and dariusz8 like this.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Don't get me going on the subject of i'm poor,my SIL is always saying she doesn't have money but eats out often and buys the best of everything .

Also when people say the have no money what the hell are they doing having another kid,people complaint they are in debt,but i guess they don't think babies cost money
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

you just said exactly what I think....I am not judging anyone who is poor..I am only saying that I do not approve of people who do nothing to change their situation.....now my post was removed because they say I was bashing.....

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:21 AM.
    KK7, Abby5 and dariusz8 like this.

Thread Information