User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: huh? what did you say?!?

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caelinsmomma View Post
    As a consumer, I wouldn't want to purchase the ball that had been played with, touched, and bounced around the store. When I go into a store to purchase a new item, that is what I expect. Especially with kids stuff, because they can (and I am saying this as a mom who knows their own kids are germy) have dirty hands, or germs, or carry sicknesses, and put things in their mouths.

I don't think it is at all about how you raise your child, it is not leaving behind "used" merchandise. When my kids were a bit younger, I would have a few things to occupy them in my purse, and if I were intending to purchase something for them, say a ball, only then would I let them play with it.

whats worse is when young children are allowed to suck/chew on stuff and then the parent tried to hand it back to us at the cash... uhhh no, its your now. LOL
    GoJays, Shwa Girl and greencanuck like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Why do some parents think that toy section in stores is playground for their children?
    From my perspective it is not ok to let children play with basketball (or any other toy) in the store. They can brake something, hit other customer, make a mess plus it is harder for retailer to sell product which looks used.

I hate going shopping for toys in store like RCSS, Walmart, Zellers because toy section is usually messy, boxes are opened, I can not find a price because nothing isn't on it's place- everything is moved.

Owen's mommy I'm sorry for not being supportive but on this one I'm taking cashier's side.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Since when did this become a debate section?

Because I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm sure the op didn't come on expecting to be told how to parent
    Last edited by Sally888; Thu, Jun 14th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Hmmm, interesting points on both sides of the fence.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krazytwacy View Post
    I work in retail and where I work they would rather let the child play with ball and the parents leave it where ever they want rather than risk never having them come back.(That is called customer service) Anyone else that works in retail and says different is not really into customer service and shouldn't be in retail. Its a ball not something that can't be resold.
    What about when someone gets hit? knocks over a display of breakables? I've always approached children nicely when I've asked them not to do something. Children need to learn boundaries, there's a fine line between customer service and letting people get away with walking all over store clerks that everyone should realize. (I work at a store with loads of squeaky dog toys, and I've asked on numerous occasions unless you're looking for a specific type of squeaky for your dog to refrain from squeezing them all. I'm only human, and can take it only so much! and most people apologize not having realized it may bother the store clerk )

Also, it's human nature to get defensive when people tell you not to do something! Children should learn at a young age to deal with that so's I'm not getting called a 'dumba$$' or 'b!tch' for asking grown adults to move their smokefest away from the only door into my store during open hours. (they were right in front of my door, people couldn't get in).
    anisa likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Your right Sally! I guess it's hard sometimes to get lost in someones rant and forget that it doesnt matter if you agree with it or not. The rant section is just that...a rant!!
    Sally888 and owen's mommy like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Since when did this become a debate section?

Because I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm sure the op didn't come on expecting to be told how to parent
    I don't particularly like the rant section, most of it can be summed up as the hashtag #firstworldproblems. Everytime I think of a rant I think how silly it is compared to others in the world.

'keep calm and carry on'

Regardless, I responded because this is a mostly a teaching moment, maybe she didn't realize how playing with outdoor toys can be a bad thing indoors? Again the child was only 2 so he probably can't bounce or throw it very far. But it wouldn't take much for someone to fall over it if it rolled out of his way, or if he bounced it high enough near some breakables.

I like to think when I do something wrong someone will correct me... We're only human, we make mistakes, learning from them is half the battle
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    I don't particularly like the rant section, most of it can be summed up as the hashtag #firstworldproblems. Everytime I think of a rant I think how silly it is compared to others in the world.

'keep calm and carry on'

Regardless, I responded because this is a mostly a teaching moment, maybe she didn't realize how playing with outdoor toys can be a bad thing indoors? Again the child was only 2 so he probably can't bounce or throw it very far. But it wouldn't take much for someone to fall over it if it rolled out of his way, or if he bounced it high enough near some breakables.

I like to think when I do something wrong someone will correct me... We're only human, we make mistakes, learning from them is half the battle

Yep! I understand both sides, but when theres tons of reports have to look into things.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

not sure if it is my post but will delete just in case

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I work in retail, and my job is to sort the stuff left behind or dropped and sent it to the right department. If someone is gonna change their mind on something, I'd rather they just give the item to the cashier and say they don't want it. It doesn't bother me when kids play with stuff, as most of our toys come in boxes, so there is never any damage. It's always the food that get's damaged. I sent hundreds of wrapped chocolate bars to claims, all b/c they have little teeth imprints. But Women are worse than kids at our store. we are constantly writing off makeup b/c women open them to see the color, then grab a new one, or open a bottle of nail polish and paint one nail to see how the color looks, open bottles of perfume. No body uses the testers. That's where we loose our money.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

hated the toy section when i was working in a store, so now i always carry a small toy and some snacks to keep my baby busy while i shop
    Shwa Girl likes this.

my trade list and wishlist, check it out, tons of tearpads
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/365260-...ensure-canada/

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't think it is that big of a deal. At the end of the day one ball being placed somewhere it shouldn't be isn't going to make a difference. What I dislike is when people actually open packaged toys to let their kids "play with it" to see if it is what they want. How do they expect stores to resell that product? I am glad I am not working in retail anymore hehe, I always feel bad for them now!

When I worked in retail I just kept my mouth shut and did what I was to do. The lady shouldn't have said anything to you.
    owen's mommy likes this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think it depends. If the child was actually just carrying the ball around....fine. I don't even think an employee needing to put it back is a huge deal.....my only concern would be that accidents do happen and could effect another customer or even employee.

A few years back I was involved in a car accident and about 2 weeks after I finally had to break down and drag myself to walmart to pick up a few things. I was still extremely sore....and poorly balanced with a knee and foot injury. I ended up having to walk by the childrens section and two small kids (around 4 & 6) came tearing out of the end of the aisle playing with something (that wasn't theirs) and almost took me out. They missed....by less than a handful of inches and almost gave me a heart attack in the process. I think the father felt badly after he saw the look of panic on my face and how slowly I was moving.......but there was no way I could have moved away quickly enough and I'm sure I would have gone down had they actually ran into me.

By no means am I saying that the OP was letting her child run a- muck in the store. I'm just trying to share my view as another customer......that sometimes all it would take is one slip of the ball/toy.....one wrongly directed toss etc etc to injure someone.....to cause an elderly person to trip/fall.....
    Last edited by Speckled28; Thu, Jun 14th, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling!
    KK7, Snow Queen and greencanuck like this.

Trading Score
    213 (98%)

the cashier is paid to be there and do the job. Part of that job is returning unwanted merchandise to its original spot.
    If she doesnt want to put the item back or complain about having to. Then maybe Zellers shouldnt be paying her anymore.
    I HATE it when a cashier or stock person acts like your just ruining their day and are rude. you are paid to be here and do this job. If you cant handle a simple customer service job then you might want to explore other employment.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I agree with OP.
    I felt quite badly that she took it personal, and it WAS personal. THAT is the cost of doing business, stores pay employees to have things put back, hung up, whatever. It was NOT that cashier's place to give her opinion of how the ball was left, she is NOT the owner of the store.
    This was NOT food that a customer let their child eat half a pack of and then left the other half on a shelf, I've seen that! This was not a package of meat, or dairy product that was left " anywhere " in the store ( which grown adults do every day)
    This was a small 2 yr old, still learning the ropes of life, give him and his parents a break please?

babies teach us acceptance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information