24 33.33%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Baby it's cold outside tinytina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Well I think of it this way...
    Who am I to say what is right or wrong
    who am I to say who should live and who should not
    I was once in this position and had to decide what to do.
    I chose to go threw with my pregnancy and have a wonderful baby boy!
    But that was my choice.
    everybody has decisions in life to make some of us will regret what we have chosen some of us will be pleased.
    Why must we all be so quick to judge?
    I knew a girl once that was addicted to crack she was also HIV positive
    she shot up every day and drank like it was water.
    she has passed away now and has left behind a very pretty little girl,
    that has FAS and was addicted to crack when she was born.
    she has severe social problems and will be on meds for the rest of her life.
    now you all are thinking should she have been aborted?
    I also know a lady that was or is a victim of rape she decided to keep her baby.she now does not have custody of her child because she became abusive towards the child. she explains that every time she looks at that baby it reminds her of the rape.and that the child looks nothing like her.

anyways I believe that everyone has choices to make in life and that is just that, its there choice!

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First of all, the language used in the title of this thread is very inflammatory and polarizing. I guess this was intentional to encourage people to post?

Anyways, most people I've met have the same general feelings as I do on the subject. Keep in mind, though, that we tend to associate with like-minded people (and maybe not the same type of people as on this board), so who knows what the public really thinks.

I am definitely pro-choice. Let me make it clear. I am pro-choice, BUT NOT pro-abortion. I'm sure many of you will fail to see the difference in these two terms, but I assure you that they are not synonymous.

I do not think that unwanted fetuses should be automatically aborted. I do not think abortion is a pleasant, or even desirable, procedure. However, I do not think that I should be able to tell other women what to do with their bodies and their fetuses. They are the ones who will have to live with the outcomes of their actions, including guilt over aborting or labour and the possible burden of raising children. I'm sure some will say raising children is a blessing and a joy, but for some people, it truly is a burden.

Abortion is not desirable, but I value autonomy and personal freedom much more. Therefore, I am pro-choice.

Who are you to say what I can and cannot do with my body? As long as the fetus is inside, there is no legal obligation for the mother to help the fetus (i.e. afaik, you cannot be charged for failing to provide the necessities of life). Once the fetus is FULLY EXPELLED from the body, the mother (and others) have a legal obligation to provide these necessities.

Once again, it is my body, therefore I may do with it as I want. The reverse is also true. Nobody should force a person to have an abortion.

Finally, this is an emotional issue since humans are programmed to respond to babies. I sometimes find it incomprehensible that so many people get so passionate over other people's unborn fetuses and potential embryos who are not yet even conceived, and at the same time - what about all the living children whose lives are less than ideal? They are here now, and often times they are ignored. Even small amounts of help make very really impacts on their lives. Why is an unborn fetus so much more provocative than an neglected child? Babies are cute? But older children are not-so-cute, and may already be troublemakers with unsavory habits?

Same with organizations like Save the Children, etc. The little kids are cute, and pull at the heart strings, but you need to keep providing funding for older children who are not so cute. It is irresponsible to fund a young child for schooling, and then discontinue this funding when they are no longer "cute".

Who is getting abortions? My friend was certainly surprised. There is a significant number of girls from "well-educated, good families" (what does that really mean anyways?) who end up having abortions. Unwanted pregnancies do not discriminate.
    Last edited by bug; Fri, Oct 12th, 2007 at 03:40 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by koala View Post
    I'm not offended Harkatsmom. Personally I don't know how I feel. It is something I have never dealt with. The one issue I do take a strong stand to is using it as a form of birth control because a girl couldn't keep her legs closed,.... and Whoops look what happened.
    I totally agree with you Koala.

I think it all depends on the circumstance (ie. life threatening). I also don't agree with this being a form of birth control. I knew at least 4 girls who had admitted to me that they aborted because they got pregnant in University and "didn't want to ruin the rest of their life". Personally I don't think a child ruins anyones life but that's the mom coming out of me. If your not ready to have kids then protect your self when having sex (use double barrier method-condom and birth control) OR don't have sex.
    Get Paypal $$$, Gift Cards and Prizes for FREE!http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdnbabybubba

Get $5 FREE for signing up & Money Back when you shop online:https://www.pandacashback.com/?ref=270

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't agree with abortion at all unless the womans life is in danger. I know a few people who have used this method like birth control and it infuriates me to no limit.As there are soooooooooooo many people in this world that want children but are unable to conceive.There is always adoption you don't be stupid and have unprotected sex without suffering the consiquences.Just like breaking the law you do the crime you do the time.If you don't want to get pregnant then use protection(more then just condoms) or obstain from having sex.
    I know a couple people that had abortions and they have regretted it ever since.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

haha...Mistress- looks like we wrote almost the exact same thing at the same time!
    Get Paypal $$$, Gift Cards and Prizes for FREE!http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cdnbabybubba

Get $5 FREE for signing up & Money Back when you shop online:https://www.pandacashback.com/?ref=270

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cdnbabybubba View Post
    haha...Mistress- looks like we wrote almost the exact same thing at the same time!
    great minds think alike

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'd be interested to know people's views on abortion and their status in life (i.e. are you a mother?). Notice a lot of people here have posted pictures of BABIES.

I have never been pregnant, but I wonder if my views will change after I have kids. I am in a profession that required an excessive amount of education. I can say that an unwanted pregnancy now would be personally, professionally, emotionally, and financially devastating.

However, my parents are very religious and my mom does not agree with my views at all. I sometimes wonder if she takes my opinions on abortion as a reflection of her as a homemaker. Does this make sense? I think that by not being totally against abortion, she thinks I'm devaluing mothers, and in particular, homemakers.

As a side note, I used to scoff at abstinence, but now I'm think it's not such a bad idea!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's the woman's body, it's her choice either way. I don't care if it's 'nice' or not. It's the truth hands down.
    As a form of birth control, well of course not. That's what condoms, the pill, depo, etc are for. And here in Canada we have many forms for free if you just ask your doctor so there's no need for it.
    Albiet some people are stupid. That's been true from the beginning of time.
    Only in cases of rape or at risk of the mother's life? I'm unsure about that one. Because if someone gets pregnant and truly doesn't want to have the baby, they're *going* to find a way. Unsanitary procedures from half-baked pseudo doctors or even just at home themselves. (Horror stories of coat hangers floating through my head...)
    There's always going to be young girls that get pregant whom are terrified of their parents finding out/too poor to provide/know they'd make a terrible parent/pick a reason.
    Abortions have been happening for thousands of years. Only now we've been told that we're 'allowed' to have them (isn't that nice of them?), and given trained doctors to perform the procedure safely.

Bug: Interesting view. I think it really does effect the opinion as to wheather or not you are a parent.

bcteagirl
    [quote=bug;190220]I am definitely pro-choice. Let me make it clear. I am pro-choice, BUT NOT pro-abortion. I'm sure many of you will fail to see the difference in these two terms, but I assure you that they are not synonymous.}

Actually, you will find many of us are well educated and have a grasp of the english language thanks

Prue
    Quote Originally Posted by bcteagirl View Post

Actually, you will find many of us are well educated and have a grasp of the english language thanks
    My thoughts exactly!

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bcteagirl View Post
    I'm glad you can, because my parents (and their religious friends) can't. To them, the end result is the same, so therefore there is no material difference. Action/behaviour trumps intention.

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Prue View Post
    My thoughts exactly!
    Relax people. I got a bit carried away typing. I was thinking about my usual audience when I was typing (see above).

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    First of all, the language used in the title of this thread is very inflammatory and polarizing. I guess this was intentional to encourage people to post?
    No I honestly didn't mean it

This thread was started on February 9, 2007... can't remember the reason for the naming.

I enjoy debates... I even used to have a full debate section on SC in 2006 but no one was posting in it (SC had way less members back then) so I removed it.

bcteagirl
    It is most likely because that is the way we are used to hearing these debates phrased rather than one person's attempt to be inflammatory.. it is simply the way we are most familiar with this particular debate.

You will note that many (most) of the responses have been 'in between', so I don't so I don't see this title as having been particularily polarizing in this particular context.

cndlady
    I am a mother and grandmother of 2, soon to be 4 and I too am pro-choice.
    I personally could not have an abortion (and didn't even when they told me that the child I was carrying would probably be born w/ problems..lucky for me he was healthy.)
    But by the same point when my daughter got pregnant and debated the issue of what she would do (no she was not a child or victim of rape) I promised to support her what ever decision she made..she was the one who would have to live with her decision which ever one she chose. In the end she chose life and now has a beautiful 4 yr old daughter and is back w/ the little girls father and they have another on the way.

Had she aborted her daughter she probably never would have gotten back w/ her b/f as the problems would have been magnified.

I would not have loved her any less or thought any less of her had she chosen abortion...I would have supported her and loved her as she would have needed both because it would have been a very hard thing for her.

Ppl have their reasons for choosing abortion and since none of us are them we do not always know why the chose is made so we have no right to sit in judgment...unless you are willing to financially and emotionally support every mother and child who for their reasons may have chosen abortion, you really have no right to make this chose or foster your views on them where this decision is made.

*step down off her soap box*

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information