MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Sorry for the HUMONGOUS pics
    LOL

To answer your question, it depends where the break happened. A lot of annuals will grow new stems at the joints, which is why pinching them back will make them "bushier". I'm not sure if the sunflower will survive if broken near the bottom, I'm sure it would be alright nearer to the top, it would just branch out. Now, last year, I had a dahlia that broke right near the base - one huge branch was almost completely broken off. I took some electrical tape and taped it up and it recovered! So don't give up hope, but perhaps throw another seed or two in that area in case this one doesn't make it. If it does recover, watch that the ties aren't too tight around the stem. I know it's hose, but you still don't want to inhibit the water intake in any way.
    Tbites likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    My clematis "jackmanii" , in front 2 annabelle hydrangeas, and then stella doro daylilies and a few wave petunias
    Your clematis is giant like mine! I have a small Jackmani but it doesn't have the big trellis to grow on at this point. It's only been around for a couple years so it really hasn't taken off yet. My big pink one is probably five years old at least, planted it from roots bought at Costco. In total I have five or six Clematis. Two are pink, one is white, one is dark purple and one has not bloomed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    What's blooming in my yard? Totally the wrong plant! After two years, my peony that I've really been looking forward to bloomed and it's not the label on the plant container. (Yes, I still kept the original pot, so I know I'm not just seeing things.) It was a bit of an expensive plant and I had to wait two whole years to find out it's the exact colour and shape I *didn't* want.
    I have this problem too! In theory, it is what it's called, but the pic in the pot had a plant with kind of 'weeping' branches covered with white flowers, like a veil. What I have is not unattractive, but it doesn't have the weeping kind of veil effect. That must be called something else.
    Last edited by Zonny; Thu, Jun 14th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't like getting mislabeled plants, but it really makes me mad if I've spent a lot of money on it. For the most part, I don't like yellow and orange too much, and usually my mislabeled plants end up being...yellow and orange.

We've had a mixed bag of weather this past week, mostly rain and the odd burst of sunshine. I still need to plant a few things but the soil had to dry a bit first.

Here are a couple blooming today and one picture I took last week of my new daylily Moses Fire that is still waiting to be planted out.
    First Pic is of Moses Fire Daylily. This is what is called a double daylily, meaning there are more petals than usual for a daylily variety.
    Then there's Martagon Lily. I'm surprised it's not grown more often around here. It's very hardy and is sort of neat-looking.
    The last is Calla Lily. I bought this in a pot and I'm most likely going to overwinter it that way...just let the foliage die down and take it down to the basement in a cool, dark area. I have it on the deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

watermelon the size of a pea

japanese maple, hosta, ginko tree

catalpa tree and smoke tree both in full bloom.. the catalpa is only 8 years old - compare the size to the swing set

sea holly

hardy geranium

my crazy bleeding heart - blooms all summer long

Stellaaaaaa!! And friend, can't remember what it is now, comes up every year

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by attitash View Post
    Need some help

Have tried to grow sunflowers. Once they sprut through the ground they are eaten(appears) by something. Any ideas what might be getting them & how to prevent it. They are very small when this happens.
    probably slugs.. i found slime trails on the leaves of my one and only sunflower... well, ds grew that sunflower for me for mother's day, there's no way in hell i was gonna let some slimy invertebrate eat my plant ....i have copper tape that i bought last year from Lee Valley Tools, i cut a bit and wrapped it around the stem and no more chew marks or slime trails

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Marstec... or other greenthumbers around... figured it would be ok to ask this here ? This sunflower was broken 2 days ago (by a squirrel I think).. it wasn't staked yet . The stem was bent at a 90 degree angle but wasn't detached so I staked it and made a bamboo/pantyhose "cast" at the break point and where one leaf was slightly ripped from the stem. Now 2 days later.... this 1 leaf (previously unaffected ? )is totally wilted but the rest of the flower shows new growth Any ideas ?
    looks good to me.. it's not going to hurt the plant if you pinch off that one wilted leaf.. next time something breaks in my garden, i'm calling you for medical sevices lol
    Tbites likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    View from the backyard to the front, in my pots I put Dragon's Wind BEgonia's 1 plant per pot because they grow to 3 feet around I also have in the first pot a pine tree that grew in the rocks in the pool, I transplanted it to a pot and it';s about 5 years old now, my friend is going to give it a good home in the country
    i'm trying a dragon's wing this year also.. i bought it in a 4" pot, curious as to how large mine will get.. i'll take a picture later in the season

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

OMG, GoJays. I envy your zone! You are growing a few plants I can only dream about growing! Your mystery plant by the daylilies is Salvia, btw.

Sea Holly doesn't do well in my yard, although some people say it self seeds to the point of invasiveness in their yards.
    GoJays likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

Your mystery plant looks like a cranesbill geranium.
    It's pretty.
    http://annapolisplants.files.wordpre...anesbill-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Here's my clematis, it's a bit pinker than it appears in the pic and it's REALLY big.

Attachment 120534

And here is my mystery plant, what is this?

Attachment 120535
    The best things in life...aren't things

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    OMG, GoJays. I envy your zone! You are growing a few plants I can only dream about growing! Your mystery plant by the daylilies is Salvia, btw.

Sea Holly doesn't do well in my yard, although some people say it self seeds to the point of invasiveness in their yards.
    We're just west of Toronto (Zone 5) so although the summers are fantastic the winters beat the hell out of my plants LOL! This is my first foray into the land of sea holly.. we'll see what happens with it. I bought two this year - the one in the photo and another one with variegated leaves, it's quite pretty, but I didn't take a picture of it because the top had broken off so there wasn't much to see (but that's why I got it for only five bucks!) . And thank you for salvia.. I knew what it was just couldn't come up with the name

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    We're just west of Toronto (Zone 5) so although the summers are fantastic the winters beat the hell out of my plants LOL! This is my first foray into the land of sea holly.. we'll see what happens with it. I bought two this year - the one in the photo and another one with variegated leaves, it's quite pretty, but I didn't take a picture of it because the top had broken off so there wasn't much to see (but that's why I got it for only five bucks!) . And thank you for salvia.. I knew what it was just couldn't come up with the name
    My winters beat your winters to a pulp.
    GoJays likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Gojays be prepared they get huge, I planted them in July last year because I only expanded this part of the garden in mid season and the plants i got were tall and scraggily. They grew to 3 feet around. I bought 15 of them this year I loved them so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kitty77, GoJays and Tbites like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

fantastic! i put mine in a big ol' iron urn at the front of the house... now grow you little sucker!
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Well, the little stand of lavender has bloomed in May and continues to do so. I had planted the seeds two summers ago, got stems and buds last year around July and now this spring, a foot high stand of the plant. Not superfragrant, just subtle scent when stem or bud is squeezed.
    Spearmint-stuff has to get trimmed every three weeks as it wants to spread.
    Snow white alyssum-a small patch of it appeared last week. This flower can sprawl fairly quickly. When past blooms are dried up, I take out some of the plant and shake the old flowers over bed area where I'd like to see future blooms appear.
    A mystery green stem with leaves suggesting green pepper has appeared by the front step. Could be a seed from random planting last year or year before-no idea.
    Garden-wow, 4 days after planting two rows of radish seeds, I have seen about 7 pairs of tiny green leaves above the soil today-the seed package was right about sprouts 3-4 days after seeding!
    Hope the other seeds put forth their green teams soon. No sign of salad lettuce seeds sprouting yet (planted on Monday too, well before the predicted rain). One Japanese eggplant container of three leaves-two leaves seem more yellow than green since I sunk the container into the ground, despite lots of rain on Monday. Have to watch that plant and maybe water it. Still have space for other veg but am coming up empty-dislike string beans with a passion (used to have to pick, wash, and trim them for Mom for her cooking), am not a tomato fan, want to avoid a zucchini patch as that veg sprawls and takes over gardens and have one bad experience growing sugar snap peas as bottom of plant went rusty/withered while top looked green and produced handful of pods? Someone else has garlic/onions/tomatoes/cukes/melons covered.
    There is a rosemary plant growing and parsley too. Maybe I need to consider herbs--they grow easily.

I *wish* there were raspberry canes to plant and strawberries too (saw a couple of plants at Wal-Mart for $7.99 each).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread Information