User Tag List

Page 13 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

GoJays,

Your garden must be a riot of colour right now...gorgeous flowers, btw. Seeing your Mexican sunflower/tithonia, I regret not buying that packet of seeds this Spring...

Ciel,

About you eggplant. I know someone who grew it and she had potato beetles that ate the plant. You might also check for slugs and earwigs. If the holes are really small, then Tbites is right on the mark with the flea beetle damage.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

lol.. did you happen to notice that all of my pictures are close-ups? there is still a lot of green in amongst the colour

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I uploaded the pics straight from my laptop... maybe that's why they weren't showing....

Marstec, I'm familiar with Bordo... used it once last year when I thought the peppers MIGHT have leaf spot. But the tom leaves don't look like either types of blight or septoria....thought I'd throw it out there.. you never know who might recognize similar edging

I love all your flowers ladies... wish you lived closer so I could make googly eyes Attachment 126399when you divide them
    Last edited by Tbites; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I think I will post some updated pics. I am sooooo disappointed in the tomatoes this year. Not sure if it's because I got them at Costco or it's just not my year. The plants are pale green and baely producing. They started out great but seem to have just stalled . Never had this before so not sure. I gave them a boost of feed about 2 weeks ago hopefully it wans't a bad batch or something although the flowers are ok. Still a little peeved because I dedicated 2 of my nicest planters for toomatoes instead of flowers

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I think I will post some updated pics. I am sooooo disappointed in the tomatoes this year. Not sure if it's because I got them at Costco or it's just not my year. The plants are pale green and baely producing. They started out great but seem to have just stalled . Never had this before so not sure. I gave them a boost of feed about 2 weeks ago hopefully it wans't a bad batch or something although the flowers are ok. Still a little peeved because I dedicated 2 of my nicest planters for toomatoes instead of flowers
    Pale green from the bottom going up OR from the top working it's way down to the older leaves ?

MY WISHLIST

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

just all pale except for the cherry tomoatoes . I am loathe to feed again as i am afraid it may burn the roots or maybe it's too late

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

just all pale except for the cherry tomoatoes . I am loathe to feed again as i am afraid it may burn the roots or maybe it's too late
    I wouldn't feed again either, have you checked for drainage ? Waterlogging causes overall pale green (eventually to turn yellow) and stunting. When it's hard to check if the bottom of a big pot is wet I use a wooden chopstick inserted all the way down and then touch it to my cheek.

MY WISHLIST

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

As usual I am happy with some things others, pfffft. My little pink hydrangea is taking nicely, it's in between the 2 big white ones , second season for it so hopefully next year will be a big growing spurt. Most of the annuals are doing ok although i can now see which planters need new soil as a couple are not so hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images                            
    GoJays, BC Gal, marstec and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Those hydrangeas are freakin' amazing, Patty! So are your dragon wing begonias. I no longer have a dragon wing begonia. Something was digging around in the pot (stupid squirrels - he left the evidence behind... peanut shell) and broke one of the stems off. I took it off thinking that the remaining stem would be fine but a couple of days later it died also. I planted a new hosta with an ivy in the pot. I was bummed but at least the hosta will come back next year.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I realize now that the dragons wing really do need full or almost full shade. The ones I planted in the sun are half the size of the others. Oh well live and learn. But I still love them.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    I wouldn't feed again either, have you checked for drainage ? Waterlogging causes overall pale green (eventually to turn yellow) and stunting. When it's hard to check if the bottom of a big pot is wet I use a wooden chopstick inserted all the way down and then touch it to my cheek.

I was thinking it may be that also because the san marsano tomatoes ae brown at the tips and look rotten. Imean the actual tomatoes not the plant. I think I may rip them all out and plant flowers lol. It's only 4 plants and I have the ones behind the pool in the barrels that are ok.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I was thinking it may be that also because the san marsano tomatoes ae brown at the tips and look rotten. Imean the actual tomatoes not the plant. I think I may rip them all out and plant flowers lol. It's only 4 plants and I have the ones behind the pool in the barrels that are ok.

Rip them all out Blasphemy ! LOL... actually if it's a black rotten spot underneath the tomato fruit itself that's blossom end rot... you don't have to pull the plants for that... cut off the bad tomatoes and they should recover if given better drainage. (I'm assuming your soil mix has enough calcium already.) I had a waterlogged squash and it's rootball is currently sitting on newspaper to dry.

MY WISHLIST

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have some veggies growing in containers on my deck. I have two different plum tomatoes, a green pepper, and a cherry bomb pepper. The cherry bomb had little peppers on it when I bought it and that one is doing well, one of the peppers turned mostly red while I was away earlier this week. The tomatoes - each plant has flowers, and ONE lonely tomato. The green pepper, nothing but flowers. Hopefully they'll turn into veggies! I want to make salsa!
    Last edited by Zonny; Fri, Jul 6th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
    cath007 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Patty,

San Marzano tomatoes are prone to blossom end rot, don't know why that is. From what I've read, BER is caused by irregular watering. It has something to do with the plant not being able to uptake the calcium (not that it is lacking in calcium). Some plants outgrow it, given the correct watering procedures...you don't have to rip out the plant for this problem.
    Tbites likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Patty,

San Marzano tomatoes are prone to blossom end rot, don't know why that is. From what I've read, BER is caused by irregular watering. It has something to do with the plant not being able to uptake the calcium (not that it is lacking in calcium). Some plants outgrow it, given the correct watering procedures...you don't have to rip out the plant for this problem.
    I read somewhere that stress on the plants can also inhibit their ability to uptake calcium..... we had some unusually cool nights here at the start of the season and that's what I blame it on ... a few of the first tomatoes that came up had BER as well.

MY WISHLIST

Page 13 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread Information