User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Making your own laundry soap under $5 for years of detergent

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I found a recipe for making your own dishWASHER detergent on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6NO1iBSeis
    If you live in a area like my parents where they can get a white film on the dishes you could increase the citric acid a bit... i am not sure if this is cheaper then store bought with coupons. the yeald is 3 cups with the recipe or 750 mls and it will work out to up to 2.5 to make a batch each load is 1 TBSP or 15 mls. So this batch works out to 50 loads for 2.50 or less. We don't have a dishwasher so i am not sure if this is a good deal.
    matrix82, bluerose, Insane and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for all the information ,I have made my laudry soap and its good enough for me ,will have to keep a eye out for washing soda at Walmart or Maxi. Now on to dishwasher soap. "hurray"

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I want to try this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I just saw an awesome recipe for dishwasher soap which added to it koolaid no sugar added lemonade powder into it. It apparently adds smell, and more cleaning power with the citric acid that is in it.
    Insane likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    I just saw an awesome recipe for dishwasher soap which added to it koolaid no sugar added lemonade powder into it. It apparently adds smell, and more cleaning power with the citric acid that is in it.
    I saw one like that too! I am down to my last box of Seventh Generation dishwasher soap. I am going to try this one when I need it:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...t-revised.html
    matrix82 likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

try independent for the washing soda and borax- wm is touch and go!

would love the shampoo recipe as well

great thread !

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

Finally found the Soda at IGA!
    cheekysaver and Pinkypie like this.
    Come on -Join me ! Get Points, get Free stuff

http://www.gifthulk.com/refer/kazm-l
    And if you need a link for Zoombucks or Irazoo ....let me know!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am going to try this in the next few days. Wish me luck.

Does anyone have this recipe written down and can share with us?
    Last edited by aemi; Thu, Jul 12th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

My BFF makes homemade laundry soap, we call it Duggar soap lol
    it works awesome and I love the smell, smells clean, not like a "summer breeze"!
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wow you need Kosher salt for dishwasher soap its like 5.00 bucks a box,why Kosher salt? and wonder if theres some other salt we can use. I made it anyways hope it works well ,love making my new soaps all the same.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

what kind of bar soap do you use? can you use anykind?
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/about.htm
    1 bar laundry soap like Fels Naptha or Zote, or Ivory - Zote can be found in hispanic grocery stores

if this helps anyone, then great. Powdered laundry soap recipes can be made with many kinds of soap. If you can't find Fels Naptha, Zote, Kirk's Castile, Sunlight or Ivory, then try just about any shower soap bar! Dial, Lever 2000 and many others have been used with success! The only ones that will not work are the ones with added oils or moisturizers such as Dove.
    aemi likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Wow you need Kosher salt for dishwasher soap its like 5.00 bucks a box,why Kosher salt? and wonder if theres some other salt we can use. I made it anyways hope it works well ,love making my new soaps all the same.

They use kosher salt because it desolves slower then regular salt. Honestly i would try a very small cheater batch with regular salt... like making 1 cup worth to see how it works... it could be just fine with the cheap stuff. I really like to adapt things to the items i have in stock so i am not spending the cash. Most dishwashers have the 2 spaces to fill anyways so you would be getting the salt in the load still. Really instead of using the cup measurements you could just do a tablespoon measurement and give it a go on a very small level.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post

http://www.zote.com.mx/english/about.htm
    1 bar laundry soap like Fels Naptha or Zote, or Ivory - Zote can be found in hispanic grocery stores

if this helps anyone, then great. Powdered laundry soap recipes can be made with many kinds of soap. If you can't find Fels Naptha, Zote, Kirk's Castile, Sunlight or Ivory, then try just about any shower soap bar! Dial, Lever 2000 and many others have been used with success! The only ones that will not work are the ones with added oils or moisturizers such as Dove.
    Thanks that is great info. I found the cheap bars of soap worked best in this... lever seemed to require much more soap and it didn't solidify as well... the camay cheap soap i grabbed at the dollar store worked amazing. I would try the ivory any day as well and in my next batch i am going to put in 1/3 of the free sample of downy unstoppables in with the soap to disolve. I don't want my laundry to have that strong of a scent but a small portion of the pack sounds like a interesting trial run for me. I tried 1 tbsp of the unstoppables in my washer and found the scent too strong so i will adapt it into the soap because i have it and like it and it smells nice. I really love that we can play with the recipe and fix anything that comes up. I had a nasty stain that i didn't know if it would come out... i just put the laundry soap directly on the stain and tossed on the washer and poof it was gone. I was very surprised how well it worked and i have never purchased the "laundry soap bars" I would love to know how you guys experiment with this stuff and how it has turned out.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aemi View Post
    I am going to try this in the next few days. Wish me luck.

Does anyone have this recipe written down and can share with us?
    Have a 5 gallon bucket ready... you can get one for free or a couple dollars at a fast food place like dairy queen. You also need to have containers to store your laundry soap in so it is ready to use. Some use milk jugs, recycled laundry jugs, water bottles, pop bottles ect.

5 ounces of graded bar soap (by weight and grade on the fine section so it melts fast)
    Melt the soap in about 4-6 cups of water... you don't have to be exact on this put it on about meduim heat until it is completly melted.

When the soap is completly melted I add in about a gallon of water and 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of the washing soda (it HAS to be the "washing soda")Leave it on the heat until the borax and washing soda are completly desolved.

Fill the 5 gallon bucket up half way with cold water. Pour in your desolved soap and borax and washing soda mix. Stir it in. Top off the rest of the bucket with cold water.

At this point your mix will be thick and ready to bottle and in 1/2 hour you have 5 gallons of laundry soap. Bottle it right away using a funnel and some sort of big scoop or jug to pour it into the bottles. Cap it and put it away. Shake the bottle to mix it together before you use it and congradulations you just saved a bundle of money, gas, travel and searching for deals. I add in the cold water so i don't have to wait over night to see if it thickens. It also saves the step of having to stir it up when it is thickened and gloopy and that can be a pain. The laundry jugs are a better way to store this in my opinion because it is a shakable amount. To store it in the 5 gallon jugs means stirring that whole jug up every time and that quickly becomes a huge pain. A five to 10 second shake before i use it is much more acceptable. I hope this helps.
    matrix82 and aemi like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information