User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Making your own laundry soap under $5 for years of detergent

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cheekysaver thank you so much.

I just tried this, let's hope it turns out something useful.
    Last edited by aemi; Sun, Jul 15th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by aemi View Post
    cheekysaver thank you so much.

I just tried this, let's hope it turns out something useful.
    You are very welcome!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muggos0101 View Post
    My only concern about a dry mix would be if the powders settle to the bottom and the soap flakes stay near the top. I decided better safe than sorry and made a liquid mix. I've only used it once so far but it seemed to work fine so I think I'll keep making it in the future. Thanks for the tip, cheekysaver.
    just pick up an old food processor at a thrift store or garage sale....I just grate the soap and then run it through the food processor....volia! powdered soap!

My recipe is:

1 part soap powder
    1 part washing soda
    1 part borax
    1 part washing soda

combine in a container, shake or stir to mix, and you're done.

I use 1 Tbsp. per load, and you can always increase it to 2 Tbsp. for extra dirty or greasy clothes.

The clothes will simply just smell clean....no chemical odours.

I was using this regularly until I started stacking coupons 2 years ago.

(One of these days I'll try making homemade laundry detergent.........I still have a bunch of bottles of detergent that I got for 'free'.)

I did try making homemade dish soap that never gelled properly.....so I lost motivation to try homemade liquid detergent......I will try this recipe sometime soon though.)
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It would be awesome if we could make toothpaste. I buy mine natural and it's so expensive
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It would be awesome if we could make toothpaste. I buy mine natural and it's so expensive
    you can make tooth paste

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...alization.html

This is what I did
    http://vanmep.blogspot.ca/2012/07/ma...oth-paste.html

We've used it - dd1 likes it. I find it works fine but it seems really wrong as it seems like I'm brushing my teeth with sugar lol. Maybe I should have put baking soda in....I can always add it now and see.

ETA: I bought xylitol from well.ca since I wasn't sure where to get it locally.
    matrix82 and aemi like this.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks for the info on the salt cheekysaver ,I am not sure if the dishwasher soap is for me but I used fruitfresh for the citric acid "maybe thats why" but yes I like to use whats at home or whats real cheap. I make my own bar soap using bacon fat from a brunch ,my soap contains lye and I use it for everything washing floors,walls, and for dirty hands. People around here like this soap for spot cleaning on clothes so I sell small peices for 1.00 the money goes to my library as a donation "share the wealth eh?"

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by scrapbookingoasis View Post
    you can make tooth paste

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2012/...alization.html

This is what I did
    http://vanmep.blogspot.ca/2012/07/ma...oth-paste.html

We've used it - dd1 likes it. I find it works fine but it seems really wrong as it seems like I'm brushing my teeth with sugar lol. Maybe I should have put baking soda in....I can always add it now and see.

ETA: I bought xylitol from well.ca since I wasn't sure where to get it locally.
    This is awesome. Eventually I will try it, but for now do you have a recipe with less ingredients?

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

This is awesome. Eventually I will try it, but for now do you have a recipe with less ingredients?
    I don't have any links off hand but if you google it you should get some recipes. There are also recipes for tooth powder (not sure if there are fewer ingredients - I wasn't interested in trying a powder)
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    Thanks for the info on the salt cheekysaver ,I am not sure if the dishwasher soap is for me but I used fruitfresh for the citric acid "maybe thats why" but yes I like to use whats at home or whats real cheap. I make my own bar soap using bacon fat from a brunch ,my soap contains lye and I use it for everything washing floors,walls, and for dirty hands. People around here like this soap for spot cleaning on clothes so I sell small peices for 1.00 the money goes to my library as a donation "share the wealth eh?"

kudos on being thrifty and using bacon grease.......my 'inexpensive' laundry soap is made with shortening (I don't eat very much bacon )

for my hand soap I use coconut oil or palm kernel oil, bought in bulk from a soap supplier.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post

Bacon Soap?!? Sell it on the internet, retire a billionaire.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    I did try making homemade dish soap that never gelled properly.....so I lost motivation to try homemade liquid detergent......I will try this recipe sometime soon though.)
    I made the mix one evening, it was quick prep and didn't take too long to melt. I put the liquid mix in 2 litre pop bottles, I made sure the caps were closed extra tight, then I laid them on their sides on the floor. For the next few hours I rolled/rotated them occasionally. It gelled pretty nicely, if I turn the bottle upside down it holds the shape of the bottom of the bottle, with just a thin layer of water separated, it shakes together easily.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

mine turned out beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing this. I already washed a few times.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbs View Post
    just pick up an old food processor at a thrift store or garage sale....I just grate the soap and then run it through the food processor....volia! powdered soap!

My recipe is:

1 part soap powder
    1 part washing soda
    1 part borax
    1 part washing soda

combine in a container, shake or stir to mix, and you're done.

I use 1 Tbsp. per load, and you can always increase it to 2 Tbsp. for extra dirty or greasy clothes.

The clothes will simply just smell clean....no chemical odours.

I was using this regularly until I started stacking coupons 2 years ago.

(One of these days I'll try making homemade laundry detergent.........I still have a bunch of bottles of detergent that I got for 'free'.)

I actually have a good food pro, but I still prefer the uniformity of a liquid mix

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I have a stupid top loader washing machine with NO agitator so in order to get clothes actually clean ... well unfortunately its been years. I've tried every laundry soap out there and while some do a better job then others I still fit deodorant and perfume smell on clothes. I've got quite a bit of detergent stockpiled and probably another 5-6 FPC's for detergent but would be interested in trying this at one point eventually way down the line after everything is used up if it actually did clean well.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Hmm just tried to find the exact recipe for the one she does in the video and cannot find it anywhere. Basically what I remember was 5 1/2 oz soap, 1/2 cup and 1 cup of borax and washing soda, can't remember which was whic.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information