User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tips on making boxed cake mix better?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I was just on Pinterest and this popped up without my looking for it, several ideas there, including Greek yogurt and in a separate recipe - DIET SODA . Apologies to those of you who enjoy diet soda, but for me, blech.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i did chinese take-out
    shanghai noodles with battered chili fish
    damages were $10.29

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always add oil, eggs and milk when using cake mix. The one thing that's really important is that you use liners when making cupcakes; when making cakes, I cut a round piece of waxed paper for the bottom and then grease the sides and the paper. I learned the hard way about getting baked cakes out of the pan in one piece, especially the cake mix ones since they aren't as firm as home made. Freezing the layers is also good because there will be less crumbling when you are icing it.

On a related note....has anyone else noticed that they downsized the boxes of mix? The manufacturers are telling us that the decreased weight still results in the same product, but I find that hard to believe. I wonder how this will affect recipes that use cake mix as an ingredient?
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I have used oil/mayo/yogurt & applesauce with great success with my cake & cupcake recipes. All are yummy & moist! I love the idea of freezing the cakes before icing. I've read that in two different places now so it must be a helpful hint! I find applesauce as a substitute for oil works well in most anything without altering the taste. (cuts fat down in recipe) I only use mayo in "loafs" as opposed to cakes/cupcakes....but if I'm feeling like ninna above & want the full fat, yummiest cupcakes/cake ever, I use oil & mix the boxed mix with my Kitchenaid for at least 3 minutes to make the batter light & delicious!
    I like DH over BC...seems to bake up moist everytime. I used water in my recipes for the most part, but have heard that milk bakes up nicer ?? Guess it's all a matter of choice...try it different ways & decide what's best for you.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i have never heard of cookies in cupcakes. is there a whole world of deserts out there i have totally missed? lol
    I can see it. I've used cookies as a base in cupcake pan for mini-cheesecakes.

jackierw
    Trading Score
    101 (100%)

I found this recipe years ago when my husband requested an elephant shaped pistachio pudding cake for his birthday I adapt it to make chocolate cake and its thee recipe i have used every time i use a mix! I also use milk, sometimes 10% cream, in place of water...and omit the food coloring unless its needed lol

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ake-50750.aspx

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

To a chocolate/devils food cake mix I will add sour cream/eggs/butter and instant coffee....make a great moist mocha flavour, yum!
    lucy16076 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    The one thing that's really important is that you use liners when making cupcakes
    I couldn't disagree more, I use liners if I plan to give away my cupcakes or muffins, otherwise they come out much nicer in a greased non stick muffin tray!

I agree with previous posts stating to use a mix with oil, that will definitely keep it more moist. To keep it moist AND fluffy, use an electric beater for the time specified on the box, you will have easy and awesome cupcakes everytime.
    Last edited by muggos0101; Tue, Jul 17th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i ended up doing 2 things to my cupcakes.

to one batch i added about a 1/4 cup creamed coconut. the stuff you find in the baking aisle. it was grace brand, in a little green cardboard box. it made it very nice and coconut-y

the other batch got a good dollop of greek yogurt. i didn't eat those ones, the kids got them

i have to be honest, i was afraid of making additions to the mixes, but it turned out well. next time i may be more adventurous!
    lucy16076 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

From pintrest.

add one more egg (or add two additional if you want it to be really rich)
    double the oil amount, but use melted butter instead of oil
    use milk instead of water

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you are looking for a denser-moister cake ,
    try adding an individual serving of apple sauce to your mix.
    or try one of the pudding cake recipes
    that starts out with a boxed mix.
    my fave is the pistachio pudding cake..
    with puddingy frosting. ~amen.

Source(s):

my recipe is similar to this one ,
    but i sub gingerale for the water,
    and make a different frosting. .

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I've used mayo/yogurt & applesauce in my cupcakes & cakes & all work very well to create a moist delicious cake! Buttermilk/milk will make a nice cupcake/cake as well I made chocolate cupcakes from a box & substituted apple sauce for both the eggs & the water....they turned out wonderfully & everyone raved about them! I was suprised at that one. It was a fluke try because I didnt' have any eggs but had already opened the box & started to mix.
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Wow, does the alcohol bake out? I'd really like to try this, but not get the kids drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Yup, pinterest is full of sexy pictures of cupcakes with reeses cups, cookies, etc baked into them.

I used to mix up a box of devils food and add some syrupy raspberry wine for the liquid. The lower boiling point of the alcohol, plus the extra sugar, makes the cupcakes succulent. Add melted chocolate in the mix and you have a totally overboard adult treat.

More practically, I agree with the oil/applesauce/freezing/mayo/etc suggestions - all work!
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Chocolate Pudding!!!

not alot, just a couple tablespoons.

I always change out and use milk instead of water. Thats just a preference for me.
    And if I have a cake mix that calls for oil, I generally use half oil & half melted butter.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I usually add about a cup of grated zucchini to the dark chocolate cake mix. Most people can't even taste it and it adds a lot of moisture to the cake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information