• 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By 2010ontest
  • 1 Post By Patty Smyth

Thread: Question about Sami fruits

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Hi,

This weekend i was planning on going to Sami fruits for the first time. Drove by the one in montreal last weekend and didnt have time to stop. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its worth it. Like are the prices cheaper then anywhere else? Also do they have a big selection?

Thanks for any info
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yes its worth it!
    The vegetables are amazing and the deals you can't beat. I buy fruits there as well, but I find that the deals on veggies are really great compared to other stores. There are also packaged vegetables in the aisles that are great too. Have fun!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Oh good thx for letting me know. I do buy alot of fruit though probably more then veggies but I definately need to stock up on some veggies too . Thx for the info

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I go twice a week, it's worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Hmm. I've had mixed results with the SamiFruit in LaSalle. Firstly, I really dislike the men working there. I'm a young blonde woman and they seem to find it OK to stare at me or call at me...while working. Seriously, it's gotten to the point where I won't go there unless accompanied by my boyfriend. Secondly, I find that some vegetables go bad in a day. I'm not saying that they should stay fresh for a week or two, but a day? It's pushing it. I usually end up freezing my fruits and throwing away the veggies. Good idea if you have a big family though, or an event coming up...because it IS cheap...although sometimes with the sales at Maxi, it comes up to being more expensive. Like i said, lol, MIXED results! Oh...and they're closed on Tuesdays in Lasalle. So don't go on a Tuesday!

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I go in Laval and didn't get that problem of "unfresh"... maybe you pick the styrofoam barquet that are to use ASAP because they are from the previous week.

And for the guy there, I have no problem. lol! I'm having more difficulties with some "older" woman working at the till than the guy on the store. Maybe just a cultural perception I would said
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

If it happened once, I would understand (the veggies going bad). But it's happened on numerous occasions. And I go at different times of the week and don't buy anything that's packaged and "special" priced. Anyway...I still go there but buy small quantities and use it right away.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The people that typically shop at Sami fruit do their shopping daily, they have different habits than north americans who tend to stock up for a week. Sami fruit caters to those individuals. Yes I have also had some produce go after a few days but I also keep in mind it is not geared towards my type of thinking.

You can request 1st or 2nds if you buy by the case. Most of the stuff outside (Jarry location) is on it's way to being over ripe.

I think this just shows how the food industry has "trained" us into thinking if a veggie or fruit isn't perfect it's not fit for consumption.

As for the prepackaged "very ripe stuff" , I have been burned a few times but you have to just be careful as to what you get. Most times I am planning on using it right away for soups or freezing it.

For the few things that go in the trash I am happy to pay about 50% less there. Now I go twice a week instead of weekly so I waste less.
    2010ontest and natynat like this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Omg !! A whole thread on Sami fruit! I am so jealous ;(
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We bought a bushel of bananas outside a few weeks ago for $4 and made banana chips we got 6 sandwich size ziplocs full.

I find the ripe stuff and packaged stuff great for the dehydrator, ginger, jalepenos, bananas so far. Looking forward to whenthey have bushels of Quebec peppers, eggplants, tomatoes etc. in a few weeks.
    2010ontest likes this.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

If you could Patty, let me know the price of QC bushel stuff when they will have it... I'm curious
    And I found they have excellent price on local apple all winter.
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

Patty, did you dehydrate eggplants? Is it good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    We bought a bushel of bananas outside a few weeks ago for $4 and made banana chips we got 6 sandwich size ziplocs full.

I find the ripe stuff and packaged stuff great for the dehydrator, ginger, jalepenos, bananas so far. Looking forward to whenthey have bushels of Quebec peppers, eggplants, tomatoes etc. in a few weeks.
    More savings and tips? Go see this site.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I did dehydrate some but I have not used them yet

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Can't wait to do red peppers and make paprika!
    2010ontest likes this.

Thread Information