User Tag List

Thread: Sunscreens

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I keep getting melasma/dark spots on my face in summer, not too bad thankfully --- I can still go out in public -- but still kinda annoying. So I've been applying sunscreen religiously every day, but still I'm not happy with how 'even' my skintone is in certain areas in summer with a tan.

I was dismayed to find out that the Aveeno sunscreen I've been using has oxybenzone, an ingredient that is regulated in EU because it gets absorbed into the skin where it "acts as a photosensitizer/

Photosensitization is a clinical condition in which skin (areas exposed to light and lacking significant protective hair, wool, or pigmentation) is hyperreactive to sunlight due to the presence of photodynamic agents. Molecules of photosensitizing agents present in the skin are energized by light. When the molecules return to the less energized state, the released energy is transferred to receptor molecules that quickly initiate chemical reactions in various skin components. Tissue injury is thought to result from the production of reactive oxygen intermediates or from alterations in cell membrane permeability. Photosensitization can be difficult to differentiate clinically from actual sunburn. Photosensitization is often classified according to the source of the photodynamic pigment. These categories are primary or type I photosensitivity, aberrant endogenous pigment synthesis or type II photosensitivity, and type III or secondary (hepatogenous) photosensitivity. Sometimes a fourth category has been identified, labeled idiopathic type IV photosensitivity. ";

"Produces excess reactive oxygen species that can interfere with cellular signaling, cause mutations, lead to cell death and may be implicated in cardiovascular disease."; "Ingredient is suspected or measured to accumulate in people";

and well people who are interested can google for themselves. Of course, for every 'bad' study, there is a study saying the opposite. I'm not gonna get into conspiracy theories such as whose commercial interests are funding 'this ingredient is ok' studies, or why we suddenly have these 'dark spot/brightening/skintone evening out' products, years ago I at least wasn't aware of these.

I'm just not going to use sunscreen with this ingredient anymore, just to be on the safe side. Quick look at the sunscreen aisle and ALMOST EVERY product has this ingredient!!! Same P&G, Unilever brands in Europe have these products formulated without, so why do we have it over here. I was able to find one (Aveeno baby, sensitive skin) in the babies section.
    This thread is currently associated with: The Source

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could email these companies about this ingredient and complain that their products in other countries don't have and Canada does.They even had a study on the news about the salt on fast food and guess who had the highest salt content in their fast food of course Canada.
    Last edited by Poirot; Tue, Aug 21st, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thread Information