User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: Cashiers!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

I myself am a cashier, and it is part of my training to be courteous to the customer. That being said, I personally do not think that I should be as courteous if:

A: the customer is on the phone in my line and is too busy to aknowledge my existance after I say "hello, how are you today"

B: the customer steadfastly ignores me for no good reason at all - we serve you, but are NOT your inferiors

C: the customer raises his/her voice or throws items at me - this has happened and I just left my cash for fear of doing something that could not be easily remedied

I understand that I am part of a company and that I am replacable, however I have a right to not stand for abuse such as the last one in the workplace. I can handle the small verbal arguements (on the customer's side) here and there and the ignorance, however if it is a constant thing I need a time out from these people who do not give a crap about others.

On a side note:

I definately bag for people but again, I find that so many people have so many rules in regards to how they like their items to be bagged, and expect me to read their minds in regards to this that it is almost worth NOT bagging anymore for anyone.
    Nothing is worse than having someone stare at you and mumble/groan that you are not doing it right for them, and dissecting your bagging job to meet their standards whilst the line behind them is growing at an alarming rate.

My two cents
    Last edited by AmandaPantz; Fri, Aug 24th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Personally, I think the practice of thanking people for their business applies to everyone....not just to cashiers. Whether you're a lawyer, an insurance advisor, a handyman, a cashier, a bottle-return depot clerk, bank teller, whatever. All of us have jobs because someone uses the services our company provides. Customers have the choice to take their business anywhere they want. When they begin to feel that those who represent the company don't value their business, they will vote with their feet. When we keep customers coming back because they enjoy dealing with us then we keep our jobs! Beyond that...it's just good manners to treat people the way we like to be treated.

Added note: A sure way to stay in a low-paying, entry level position is to neglect to show you care about your company or your job....
    Last edited by DianneS; Fri, Aug 24th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    DaveP, Rika and lghend like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just removing this at the request of a mod. Thank you for the support, everyone.

I didn't mean to come off as aggressive, the content of the posts I was referencing just really upset me because I know how it feels to be treated as less than human and not acknowledged because I'm behind a counter.
    Last edited by Chantel; Fri, Aug 24th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Stifler...you are having a baaaaaaad week!

shopping carts, truckers on your tail, cashiers not saying thank you....

maybe just stay home this weekend...give your bad karma a rest.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh and just to add, I even treat customers like you with an extra-peachy rainbows and kittens attitude. I'm never rude, even to the crappiest people. Everyone gets the same base good service from me, but I will go WAY further and the extra mile for nice people.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If an unfriendly cashier, a squeaky wheel, or a truck driver are your biggest complaints in life, you are a pretty lucky person.
    Last edited by Carlotta; Mon, Aug 27th, 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    I treat all my customers like gold, I always say thank you and offer to pack their cart and get compliments regularly about my service...

Couldn't have said it better !!!
    Last edited by jayne_a; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    166 (100%)

lol @ chantel......I will go to work today with a smile
    ashokia likes this.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

personally, it doesn't bother me if a cashier doesn't say "thank you" or even talks to me. All I pay attention to is:
    1. Making sure the items scan at the correct price
    2. Making sure the cashier doesn't accidentally double scan an item
    3. Making sure I don't forget anything in the cart.
    4. Keeping the kids preoccupied
    5. Mentally calculating how many bags I'm going to need for the groceries (if at WM, no need to worry)
    5. Pay the cashier, get my receipt, bag my stuff (if not bagged already) and zooming out of the store.

I'm not really one for "small talk" so if the cashier engages in one, that's fine - if not, that's fine with me also - it doesn't make or break my day.

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

Although I'm not a fan of Stifler - I think we need to remember the rules of the forum - just my 2 cents

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that as an employee, a cashier has a duty to represent the company in a polite and courteous manner. As they are the person that interacts directly with the public, they are the representative. I will not go to a store and shop where the employees have bad attitudes. If they feel that they are above their jobs, do not like their jobs or what not, then they need to look for a new job, and not take it out on the customer.

I was just at Walmart and Futureshop. At Walmart, there was a cashier open, so I went over and started to load my items on the belt. She was having a conversation with the cashier working the til across from her. She did not miss a beat of her conversation as she did not acknowledge my existence, and did not say a word to me until she said "34.62" (my total). She did not ask how I was paying or anything and just sent everything to the debit machine, picked up where she left off in her conversation while I waited for it to process, and then said "here you go" as she handed me my receipt.

I promptly went over to customer service, was greeted by the lady at customer service asking if I needed help, and then after I told her I would like a comment card for a bad employee, she said she would call the Service Manager over instead. I was a sentence into describing what happened and she said that the cashier was very rude, apologized and then walked right over to her to talk with her.

I do not expect to have the conversation of my life with a cashier, but some social etiquette would be nice. I also think that people need to start making themselves heard. If they get a cashier who is rude then they need to say something about that person to their supervisor so that it can be corrected.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_2011 View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of Stifler - I think we need to remember the rules of the forum - just my 2 cents
    That's true, Angel_2011, but it seems to me that ranting at cashiers on SC is going to be felt as a personal attack by quite a number of our members....
    pippinelkhound and daynabas like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Cashiers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. One time this woman called a manager becausw I didn't bag her one item "properly" and said I was rude because I smiled at her as I bagged it. She said something about how my smile was actually mocking her or something. Manager looked at her like she had 4 heads. Seriously, people need to stop getting angry about nothing.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chantel: Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but I think I love you, and I don't mean maybe!

(hopefully you know the Call me maybe song otherwise this post just got weird, haha)
    Last edited by Safyre; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: When removing the quote I realized it seemed like I was supporting the OP! Yikes

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Awesome comments Chantel !!!!!!

Personally for me, I could really careless what the cashier does, basically just scan my products in properly, I pay and go home.

On another note, constant complaining from the OP towards Walmart is not going to do anything. As long as you are a couponer, and Walmart continues to be one of the lowest cost retailers, and offers things such as accepting coupons and giving overages - you will continue to shop.

There are more important things in life to focus on then always complaining about stupid ..... Maybe offer to help and bag the groceries yourself, you be the bigger person !!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information