User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree550Likes

Thread: Cashiers!!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, talk about 1st world problems. This is the worst thing in the world to sit around on a website and argue about? Wither or not someone remembered to thank you or not for shopping at a store? Wow.
    Eva-M, GoJays, coupon girl and 5 others like this.
    gone shopping!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BCSparkyGirl View Post
    Wow, talk about 1st world problems. This is the worst thing in the world to sit around on a website and argue about? Wither or not someone remembered to thank you or not for shopping at a store? Wow.
    It is a first world problem, no doubt about it. It's also a means of upselling on a future purchase by making the entire shopping experience a good one for the customer. I think it's important because I'm purchasing items in your store, and I can very easily go somewhere else. If enough people think this way then your store could go out of business. In an economy that we have now, the customer service is important. Most people want to be treated nicely when purchasing items in your store. Whether I make a lot of money or a little, I still want basic consideration.
    Aimz and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Late to the party (again). After reading 6 pages of different people's POV, I feel invited to comment.

I often don't have the privilege of shopping without my 2 children (both under 2) in tow. Recognizing that different stores have different policies, I choose the stores which meet my needs. Loblaws stores (in my area) are bag your own groceries as well as Food Basics. I don't shop at those stores because they don't me my needs. It is VERY helpful to have my groceries bagged for me when I am out with my two little ones. I often choose to pay a few cents more at Foodland or Sobeys because it is their policy to bag groceries.

I thank my cashiers for bagging my groceries. They usually respond with, "It's my job, or that is policy." I also tell them I am not a picky shopper when it comes to bagging. My last shop the cashier told me she was treated rudely because she packed a bag wrong. If a cashier is polite and (tries to be) efficient that is enough "thanks" for me.

I don't expect Loblaws to change their ways because I am not shopping there, they have a different market of needs they are meeting to sustain their business (and then some!) I am very excited that Sobeys is now accepting printable coupons which means more savings for me.

On another note, I believe in being the best I can be no matter what I am doing. Whether that means being a customer or a cashier. Thanks to all of those customers and cashiers who have been treated like dung and kept smiling, ducked for protection or even ran rather than joining the rudeness. No one is deserving of such treatment.

Now I saw a thread about trolls on here...I am off to read about that so I can yet understand another SC code. (Edit: I was not implying that anyone including the OP was a troll, I saw a few references and needed to go read the "Troll" thread to educate myself).

Thanks for the conversation friends.
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, Sep 1st, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
    GoJays, Wendark, i_forget and 2 others like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

The most important thing for me would be...my wallet! If i can shop somewhere that saves me money, that's where i'm gonna go first. If that means bagging my groceries with kids, then i'll bring a rope and bundle them up in my cart while i bag my stuff..lol!!!
    FallenPixels and GoJays like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wow, i do it the other way around. i say 'thank you' to cashiers.
    GoJays and daynabas like this.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

I have to say, I was pretty turned off by "cashiers" up until my recent trip to Newfoundland. After living in alberta for many years now, I had come to hate most cashiers, I found the bulk of them to be rude especially when it comes to coupons. However, I was just in Newfoundland for 2 months on vacation, while there I did a lot of shopping, and used lots of coupons. After my items were rang through I handed them my stack of coupons, and my stomach had the cringe it usually gets up here ( back in Alberta ) when I hand over my coupons ( awaiting the rude cashier moment ) and to my SHOCK it didn't happen!!!! Not one single time!!! Each and every cashier I encountered in Newfoundland GLADLY took my coupons, no scrutinizing over each and every one and at the end of the transaction they were even excited for me!!! One called another cashier over to "brag" on my behalf on how good I did!! Every time I left a store I wanted to kiss the cashier, every last one was polite and AMAZING!!!When using Oasis coupons that were soon expiring ( CZ ones ) one cashier told me there were $.75 hang tag coupons on the oasis in the back and asked me if I wanted her to go take some off for me to use in the future because they didn't expire till December!!! Serious shock moment, they were literally bending over backwards to please customers !!! The most kind people EVER!!!! So I have to change my opinion on "cashiers" cashiers aren't bad people...... although in some cases bad people are cashiers. Its not because of "what" they are, its because of "who" they are.
    coupon girl, i_forget and nessa23 like this.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I am a cashier at a small locally owned meat market/grocery store.
    Numerous times throught my shift when I ask a customer how they are, they simply just look at me like I have 4 heads and don't reply, or their answer is " I have a bag of potatoes on the bottom of the cart". Thank you captain obvious, I can plainly see your potatoes and I have already put in the code for them. I guess you're too concerned that I might be thinking you're going to steal that bag of potatoes, to respond to my initial greeting..
    I say thank you several times throughout the transaction, if/when they hand me an item, when they hand me their form of payment and as they are leaving my till. Unless of course the choose to talk on their cell phone the whole entire time. In that circumstance, I do not greet them, do not tell them their total(they can see it on the screen) and do not thank them or even say one word to them. Why would I? It's extremely rude! I could go on and on complaining about customers but this is a "cashier rant". I sincerely hope the OP's life takes a turn for the better, after all nothing is worse in life that not being thanked by your cashier...
    GoJays, Wendark, xox2010 and 4 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cookoo View Post
    wow, i do it the other way around. i say 'thank you' to cashiers.
    Me , too.

When someone does some work like bagging , scanning groceries for you and hands it to you , you say Thank You. Sure its their job , but still at the end of the day they did something for you , so its your job to say Thank you to anyone who does some work for you.

Even when a waiter comes and puts food on my table , I say thank you.

There is no need for a cashier to say Thank you to you when shopping is done..but they should say Hi and Hello and greet you , when you approach them at the start of the transaction, as its common courtesy to acknowledge someone, and you do the same.

All my children have fur Wendark's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I work part-time as a cashier and I have people willing to wait in a longer line to deal specifically with me. I am friendly and always greet them and ask how they're doing. I help them bag their stuff if they're not finished by the time everything is rung through. It's not my job to bag the stuff, but I help to get them on their way, more for the next customer than it is for them - this is typical of many stores these days. I don't own the place, so why would I thank them for shopping there?

Then again, if I have a garage sale, I also don't thank people for "shopping", but I do always greet them.
    KK7, GoJays and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Me , too.

When someone does some work like bagging , scanning groceries for you and hands it to you , you say Thank You. Sure its their job , but still at the end of the day they did something for you , so its your job to say Thank you to anyone who does some work for you.

Even when a waiter comes and puts food on my table , I say thank you.

There is no need for a cashier to say Thank you to you when shopping is done..but they should say Hi and Hello and greet you , when you approach them at the start of the transaction, as its common courtesy to acknowledge someone, and you do the same.
    Me three. I totally agree with tjthemanto.

They rang in your purchases, put in your coupons, processed your transaction and bagged your groceries....and all I did was hand over my cash. Of course, I'm going to thank them. They did something for me and who cares if it's their job. I say thank you to my doctor, massage therapist, banker etc...why is a cashier any different?

If giving them a 'thank you' makes their day a bit nicer then why not. Thank yous are FREE. I throw them around like crazy. I might even over-thank you.

Thank you for reading this lol.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapNcheeky View Post
    Me three. I totally agree with tjthemanto.

They rang in your purchases, put in your coupons, processed your transaction and bagged your groceries....and all I did was hand over my cash. Of course, I'm going to thank them. They did something for me and who cares if it's their job. I say thank you to my doctor, massage therapist, banker etc...why is a cashier any different?

If giving them a 'thank you' makes their day a bit nicer then why not. Thank yous are FREE. I throw them around like crazy. I might even over-thank you.

Thank you for reading this lol.
    Yup, that's how I was raised.

When someone does something for you , whether its their job or not , whether its paid or unpaid , you say Thank You as something was done for you at the end of the day.

Why should the cashier say Thank You to me ? I didn't do anything personally for her , besides spending some money there , which goes to the business. That money might or might not help her/him keep her/his job, but I didn't do any work directly for him or her, but they did some work directly for me like scanning my groceries, bagging them etc , irrespective of whether its their job or not.

But they should say a Hi or a Hello at the start of your transaction , just to acknowledge your presence as its common courtesy and you should do the same.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

The first thing I say to a cashier is "Hi!" and I always say "Thankyou" at the end. I give the transaction my full attention and do everything possible to make it go smoothly and quickly. I like to collaborate to make it work.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jenj77 View Post
    Numerous times throught my shift when I ask a customer how they are, they simply just look at me like I have 4 heads and don't reply, or their answer is " I have a bag of potatoes on the bottom of the cart". Thank you captain obvious, I can plainly see your potatoes and I have already put in the code for them. I guess you're too concerned that I might be thinking you're going to steal that bag of potatoes, to respond to my initial greeting..
    I say thank you several times throughout the transaction, if/when they hand me an item, when they hand me their form of payment and as they are leaving my till. Unless of course the choose to talk on their cell phone the whole entire time. In that circumstance, I do not greet them, do not tell them their total(they can see it on the screen) and do not thank them or even say one word to them. Why would I? It's extremely rude! I could go on and on complaining about customers but this is a "cashier rant". I sincerely hope the OP's life takes a turn for the better, after all nothing is worse in life that not being thanked by your cashier...
    I am the exact same way.... except when it comes to someone on their cellphone! I make sure to be SUPER over-the-top friendly and polite to them... just to disturb their conversation "HI!! HOW ARE YOU TODAY?....."
    I work in a McDs drive-thru, and even with the ban on cellphones while driving, at least 25% of the people who come through are on their phone. We have two-lanes, and so when they get to the payment window, we need to ensure that we have all the orders/cars in the correct order (otherwise things get seriously messed up, people pay for the wrong thing, they receive the wrong thing, just a big mess) which means *GASP* the customer actually has to PAY ATTENTION to what we're asking them (oh the horror!!)
    GoJays and Wendark like this.

>>>Tradelist & Wishlist<<<
    |MILK|CHICKEN|ARCTIC GARDENS|CHAPMANS|EUROPES BEST|SYB PINS|OJ|

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jenj77 View Post
    Great post. I'm sure a good "customer rant" is long overdue for most cashiers!
    GoJays, Wendark and daynabas like this.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Reading all of these rants, makes me think that the problem is not with the customers, or the cashiers, but the speed of life in general.
    coupondude2012 likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information