User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Cheap Robin Hood Quick Oats

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Got 11 today. I saw some people with these in their carts and told them about the $1 coupon zone. It's like The Amazing Race, a run to the target, lol.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

great deal! Thanks for posting! I picked up 4 bags and was able to use both the $1.00 CZ coupon and the 50cent manufacturer coupon! I eat buckets of oatmeal and make my own granola bars so these will totally come in handy!!!
    cbou likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    great deal! Thanks for posting! I picked up 4 bags and was able to use both the $1.00 CZ coupon and the 50cent manufacturer coupon! I eat buckets of oatmeal and make my own granola bars so these will totally come in handy!!!
    How do you make this in the microwave? What do you add to it so it's not bland and boring?
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

todays the last day to use the CZ coupon

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    How do you make this in the microwave? What do you add to it so it's not bland and boring?
    Ah ha. See, that's the thing. I don't put oatmeal in the microwave. I've recently discovered overnight oatmeal that you eat cold. It's not for everyone. My kids aren't fans (yet), but I sure am. here is a link to a site I use for inspiration in the overnight oats department:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I've already tried the apple cinnamon variety (YUM!), the raspberry vanilla variety (hmmm. ok, but nothing to write home about) and the chocolate espresso one (pretty good, but I still miss the fruit). I'm wandering my way through the recipes one at a time.

As for the homemade granola bars, I don't use the microwave for that either. Conventional oven.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My 4 and 7 year old eat microwaved quick oats every morning. I add about 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1/2 tea cinnamon, cover it all with milk and pop it in the microwave on high for 1 minute....then I add more milk if needed to make it creamy and cool it down.

Sometimes I add raisins or dried apples or a pinch of nutmeg. You could add chocolate chips, honey, cranberries, fresh berries.....the possibilities are endless!
    Shwa Girl and flyingdutch like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    My 4 and 7 year old eat microwaved quick oats every morning. I add about 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1/2 tea cinnamon, cover it all with milk and pop it in the microwave on high for 1 minute....then I add more milk if needed to make it creamy and cool it down.

Sometimes I add raisins or dried apples or a pinch of nutmeg. You could add chocolate chips, honey, cranberries, fresh berries.....the possibilities are endless!
    Great ideas.
    This is one of the best cheap healthy breakfast meals -- even better than boxed cereals. Lol.
    We add almonds, vanilla almond milk, flax and cinnamon.

Trading Score
    135 (100%)

so bummed... they were out of stock at no frills and I couldn't find the 1 CZ... got some at metro @ 1.99 using the 0.50 coupon (from the breakfast booklet) to make it 1.49, still good but would have loved to have gotten them for 0.99

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutch View Post
    so bummed... they were out of stock at no frills and I couldn't find the 1 CZ... got some at metro @ 1.99 using the 0.50 coupon (from the breakfast booklet) to make it 1.49, still good but would have loved to have gotten them for 0.99
    ^ don't beat yourself up too much. Truth is, that CZ coupon expired yesterday, so even if you had found it today, it would've been too late.

Even so, 1.49 is still some cheap oats. I'm headed back to No Frills tonight because I still have a couple of the .50 cent ones left that I'd like to use. Then it's granola making factory here we come!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

no frills sale was over on friday so its back to $.3.49

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Would love to find a good granola bar recipe. Does anyone have a link to the one they use?
    Earn $50 a month with swagbucks

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/shellylynn31

Trading Score
    135 (100%)

Yeah I know. Just stinks when you can't find stock on a deal like this and it's only the first day or so of the sale. I am still happy to have gotten them for 1.49 since that's still a great deal- just would have been nice to get it cheaper ya know (always striving for the least OOP aren't we all lol).

The 0.50 coupon is good til March I'm sure there will be other opportunities to get another great deal so I'm not too worried.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    ^ don't beat yourself up too much. Truth is, that CZ coupon expired yesterday, so even if you had found it today, it would've been too late.

Even so, 1.49 is still some cheap oats. I'm headed back to No Frills tonight because I still have a couple of the .50 cent ones left that I'd like to use. Then it's granola making factory here we come!!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

On pinterest they had a recipe that was supposed to copy quaker granola bars. It looks pretty good but I haven't tried it yet. If you google it I am sure it would come up.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    I make it just like any packaged oatmeal except i add fruit.

I dehydrate up items like bananas that are close to turning by mashing them up and adding in vanilla ... then i put them on a layer of parchment paper in the dehydrater... you have to make the layer thin but it works... then i let them dehydrate until they are crunchy and i run them thru the blender or a food processor to create a dryed banana powder i can add to muffins, loafs, pancakes and yes oatmeal.

It is a great way to save and store your fruits that are close to turning and in oatmeal is a wonderful way to use it up. This works well with strawberries and apples and raspberries and many other fruits... only the bananas do i crush and add the vanilla to but the possibilities are really endless.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shellylynn39 View Post
    Would love to find a good granola bar recipe. Does anyone have a link to the one they use?
    I scoured the internet for a long time to get a decent recipe for granola bars. By "decent" I mean one that uses natural ingredients and is healthy and lower in fat. A lot of the recipes out there use packaged cereal or they pump the bars so full of sugar and fatty crap that you might as well just rip into a bag of chips. LOL. Here is my all-time favourite one. It makes about 16 soft chewy bars that keep in the fridge for about a week. I tend to wrap mine individually in wax paper or tinfoil and freeze them so I can pop them easily into school lunches.

In a large bowl, mix:
    2 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup whole wheat pasty flour (or, use all purpose flour but remove 2 tbsp from that cup!)
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3/4 tsp sea salt

In a second bowl blend,
    1/2 cup honey
    1 egg, beaten
    2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup applesauce

Make a well in centre of the first bowl and pour wet ingredients in. Mix well.

Press mixture evenly into a 9X13 pan that is lined with wax paper.

Bake at 350F for exactly 30 minutes. Do not leave in longer!

Cool bars for 5-10 minutes, then cut with a knife.

(Do not allow them to cool longer or they won't cut.)

Enjoy.

Oh--and these pass "the kid test." My kids LOVE the homemade granola bars MORE than the store bought ones...and believe me...I've got one kid who is a super picky eater.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information