User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Make Your own baby wipes and save!!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here is a site that i love i have made them and they work i like them better than the real wipes beacuse i know what is in them...

http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas/baby_wipes.html

Jessica
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been doing this for years - it's way better than wipes - in fact, if I use ANY brand of store bought wipees now I get so frustrated, because they just seem to move the poop around, and they don't work nearly as well.

My son's skin is really sensitive - so I use the following formula -

Cut a roll of full-sized Bounty paper towels (I've been told to only use Bounty) in half (so it looks like two large toilet paper rolls)

Mix 1.5 cups BOILING water with 1.5 tbsp Aveeno Baby Wash soap and 1.5 tbsp Aveeno Baby moisturizer. (you can use ANY type of baby wash and lotion - but they do smell better if you stick to one brand/scent for both-I use Aveeno because it doesn't irritate my ds) - stir really well in a large sized maragrine tub or similar sized container.

Put one half of the paper towels in the large sized margarine tub (like the extra big Becel ones) after you take out the cardboard centre.

Save the other half of the roll for next time, or double the recipe and use two containers.

Once they have soaked up all the liquid, simply grab a wipe from the centre of the roll (where you took the cardboard out), and they will pop up like one-ups.
    Last edited by swouper2; Thu, Nov 6th, 2008 at 09:50 AM.
    JeepChick84 likes this.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

So these wipes work well? I have considered making my own but wasn't sure how well they worked. How many wipes can you get per half roll?
    I found this recipe and wasn't sure about adding the vinegar (skin irritant?), but it makes sense to add it to deter mold.

This is a cheap alternative to store bought baby wipes. It takes a very little amount of time and effort to make and use. You control the ingredients.
    by princess buttercup
    15 min | 15 min prep
    2 rolls

• 1 package cloth-like paper towels (not the cheapest papery type)
    • 2 cups hot water, boiled
    • 1 tablespoon baby bath soap or baby shampoo
    • 1 tablespoon oil (baby oil, mineral oil, massage oil)
    • 1 tablespoon lotion (baby lotion or regular)
    • 1 tablespoon white vinegar (to inhibit mold)

1. Saw the paper towels in half lengthwise with a serrated kitchen knife (not your best one ... this can't be "good" for it). Mix the hot water and following ingredients:
    2. Put the half roll in a plastic container that has a lid, Tupperware-type, empty roll-type baby wipe container, etc.
    3. Shredded side down -- I pick as much of the shredded paper off as I can -- otherwise you leave "lint balls" on your baby's bum.
    4. Pour the water solution over the roll.
    5. (Don't worry about the cardboard tube.) Let sit about 5 minutes, then turn upside down for 5 more minutes to saturate the roll.
    6. Now the cardboard tube will pull out easily.
    7. Pull a "wipe" from the center.
    8. I make one roll at a time and wash the container well between uses. (Note: Mold can be an issue. Suggestions include using Johnson & Johnson soap or 4 drops of tea tree oil to inhibit mold.)

secondtimer
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You could save yourselves a ton of money if you just use cloth wipes. You can eve buy them in a size that fit your old wipes plastic tubs. Buy em once and never need to replace.
    http://momsandbums.com/product.php?p...2&cat=0&page=1

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just damp Bounty towels with warm water, you don't really need to put soap or anything on. I also use cloth wipes, too, for 'little spills'
    Thanks for the info though

Rospiki
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This sounds great but wouldn't adding the soap dry baby's skin since it is not being rinsed off?

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rospiki View Post
    This sounds great but wouldn't adding the soap dry baby's skin since it is not being rinsed off?
    I'm not sure, but I personally use Johnson and Johnson's Baby Wash because it's not soap, and I put a bit of baby lotion in too. It's really just a way to "condition" the baby bum a bit Just soaking the paper towels in warm water works well too.

Now I have a question. (1) How on earth do you cut the paper towel roll in half?? I have tried with the sharpest knife I had and it was still a 10 minute struggle! And (2) How do you remove the cardboard center? Again, I tried, but I just ended up ripping a bunch of the paper towel in trying to get it out. I ended up giving up and just tearing off each sheet one by one, then folding them over each other like they do with the commercial wipes.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Just a note:

If your baby wipes go dry DON'T add water. Pampers and Huggies advise that is not a good idea as it can promote growth of bacteria!
    Want to be like Redmouse? * Join me here at SC * Tell them Redmouse sent you!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I use an electric knife to cut the paper towel. I have also purchased baby face cloths - you can get these really cheap and I use them - if they are badley soiled I will toss them but for the most part I wash ang reuse. I have tried the above formulas with paper towels and clothes and I prefer just moistened clothes. I do have wipes for travelling - when you can't always get to a sink and you don't want to carry smelly clothes all day

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

thank you

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by redmouse View Post
    Just a note:

If your baby wipes go dry DON'T add water. Pampers and Huggies advise that is not a good idea as it can promote growth of bacteria!
    thanks - i did not know that!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My son-in-law uses his saw to cut the paper towel roll in half. Works but I agree to the 'old fashioned' way of using cloths.
    Last edited by lady16; Tue, Feb 24th, 2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: wrong word used

Rospiki
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

These have got to be the best wipes I have ever used. They stay wet enough and they are larger than the wipes that you buy. Also, you can use you favorite scented lotion/soap in them. My favorite is the one by Yves Rocher Baby Hammelis (with hazel). Very soft baby scent.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Thanks will try them out!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information