• 1 Post By KrazE
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 2 Post By KrazE
  • 1 Post By toban
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 2 Post By KrazE
  • 2 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: I'm setting up a larger aquarium.. whew!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I currently have a 29 gallon tank. My neighbour's son bought a 55 gallon tank kit and stand which he hasn't unboxed. He moved away to attend University and asked if I wanted to buy it. He gave me a great deal on it. So for the past month I've had the tank running. It's cycling now with no fish. I bought 35 pounds of black aquarium sand which took several days to clean. Whew! The water was tested recently and everything looks great . I plan on slowly adding some of my fish to the new tank. My other neighbour wants the 29 gallon so in 3-4 weeks he will have it.

I can hardly wait to add more fish. I boiled one piece of store bought driftwood. And I discovered live plants at Petsmart are much cheaper compared to another big box pet retailer.
    This thread is currently associated with: PetSmart
    Last edited by toban; Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    MomOfOne79 likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

as a former " owner " of I am certain was a 100 gallon tank ( it was just so bloody much work) but it was DH's pride and joy so much so that he built the whole enclosure for it too. Certain kind of wood, special reinforced everything as water weighs sooo much. We did get years and years of enjoyment from it and the many kinds of fish, but eventually when the maintenance was slacking and there was often more algae than fish, it was transformed to a terrarium as my boys became lovers of the newts, lizards, snakes and frog types.

You sound like you have prepared that tank just right, should have no issues with " ick " ( we learned the hard way ) or whatever that disease was where they get stuff on them and die. Have fun!! Maybe post a picture!
    toban likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

It's such an obsessive and expensive hobby - I've been keeping fish for almost 15 years now. I have toned it down A LOT as I used to have 4 large tanks (50g+) and 2 'hospital' tanks that were there for medicating or acclimating new fish that went into observation for 2 weeks before being added to any community.
    I now just have a cycled hospital tank (empty) and my 75 gallon with 3 fancy goldfish who are two handers in size (oink!) and 2 bristlenosed plecos.

My tank is bare bottomed as substrate & gold fish have never worked well for me since they like to forage, but I have a few very large rocks and 3 large pieces of driftwood.

Last year I did a major upgrade to the filtration system & bought an Eheim Professional 3e 2078 from J&L Aquatics - it was worth the high price and I would highly recommend Eheim products.
    Last edited by KrazE; Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    walkonby likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm in the process of setting up a 4 ft tamk...I've currently got a triangular 15x15 tank and a 3 ft tank. I also have a 5 ft marine and a 6 ft tank to start up...not looking forward to that. Never tried marine fish before.

I used to have around 20 tanks back in the UK....I collected puffer fish and catfish backthen. I'm hoping to buy some figure 8 puffers this week-end.
    toban likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wow Darth you and Kraze are real experts in this field then. DH always wanted salt water tank too because he had one when he was single and had $$ to burn, but we just could not.
    The kinds of fish we had were red tail sharks, neon tetras ( my fav! ) plenty of plecostomus at different times, angel fish, cichlids, um what else?? Oh I think we had kissing gouramies, tiger barbs, ugh! I wish DH was up, I can hardly remember all the ones we had at different times.
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Of all the fish I have ever owned, I think Clown Loaches will always be my favourite. They are such funny characters and certainly live up to their name of 'clowns'. It's how they sleep that's the most entertaining!

walkonby and toban like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I'm not the only one who likes aquariums . The first time I saw clownfish in a pet store sleep I thought something was wrong with them lol. I heard that get quite large?

The PH level of my tank is a little too high. I'm in the process of trying to lower it. Hopefully this week I will see a change and they can be in their new home.

I promise to take photos

I would love to see photos of everyone else's set up.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I didn't get the figure 8 puffers I was after as they had ick..but I ended up with a redtail, red eyed puffer instead and a brackish tank had to be created for it quickly.

My 4 ft is now cycling. I'm going to do a water change on the 3 ft and use the old water to help boost the cycling.
    walkonby likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by toban View Post
    Thanks everyone! It sounds like I'm not the only one who likes aquariums . The first time I saw clownfish in a pet store sleep I thought something was wrong with them lol. I heard that get quite large?

The PH level of my tank is a little too high. I'm in the process of trying to lower it. Hopefully this week I will see a change and they can be in their new home.

I promise to take photos

I would love to see photos of everyone else's set up.
    What's your KH like? I know that when I had hard water, the KH was high and the PH would always border on a spike - I had to keep PH Down around. I now have a bit of the opposite issue with the KH being low in the city which means the PH heads into a crash on water changes, so I keep baking soda by the tank.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Just uploaded some from my computer - I need to do some updating & catch everyone (Bart hates the camera & won't stay still!)

This is a picture of my tank (75g) - I need to update this one for sure

This is Spot:

This is Lisa:

Now - just to get a basic idea of how big they are, here is one of me holding Lisa in one hand - the picture was taken October 2011 so she is a bit bigger now:

This is Pleco number 1 named AL:

And Pleco number 2 named G (Yes, as a pair their names are AL-G (Algae)) lol:

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You have a beautiful tank. The goldfish are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    Just uploaded some from my computer - I need to do some updating & catch everyone (Bart hates the camera & won't stay still!)

This is a picture of my tank (75g) - I need to update this one for sure

This is Spot:

This is Lisa:

Now - just to get a basic idea of how big they are, here is one of me holding Lisa in one hand - the picture was taken October 2011 so she is a bit bigger now:

This is Pleco number 1 named AL:

And Pleco number 2 named G (Yes, as a pair their names are AL-G (Algae)) lol:

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^^ ditto!

Glad I clicked back on here.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Name:  tetraodon_mbu_2.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  64.1 KB

Just bought one of these.....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Darth Penquin... That is a neat and beautiful looking puffer fish Some live in brackish water?

Thread Information