User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Need to buy a new microwave tomorrow!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

My GE microwave broke after a year and a half of usage. The warranty is expired...so I need a new one. I've been looking at flyers for a microwave, but haven't been able to find a perfect one. Zellers has a %30 off on all microwaves...but Walmart has competitive prices. Overall...are there any brands that you can recommend? I see a lot of Danby microwaves at a good price...but I've never used the brand. I can't really afford Panasonic or Sony ones or whatever because they're at $130+ so...keep it low lol.

Suggestions?
    This thread is currently associated with: Sony Style, Walmart, Zellers, Sears
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

We've had ours for knock on wood 7 years paid a good $ for it. but love it. comes with a rotating tray. most of the buttons we don't use. it even has a dual clock 12/22 hour.
    its a Sunbeam.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I was going to post in your thread last night saying I hope you get over your aversion to thrift stores since one day something will break and you'll need a new one but not have extra dough to cough up for it! Looks like that's happened!

We have a Panasonic that regularly retails $120 but got it at the Zellers 50% off screwup last christmas for $60-ish. LOVE it. Heats food in HALF the time the old Danby from Walmart did. Only ever laid a hand on it because with that discount it cost only about $10 more than the Danby.

Honestly though, check kijiji. Lots of people replace their appliances with new ones for no real reason and want to get rid of the old one cheap. If you don't care about color, it's a goldmine. Give it a good wash out and you're good to go.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chantel View Post
    I was going to post in your thread last night saying I hope you get over your aversion to thrift stores since one day something will break and you'll need a new one but not have extra dough to cough up for it! Looks like that's happened!
    LOL! Yeah well that's my life...one thing gets fixed, the other gets ruined!

I can't get over buying used things though I don't know if I'll be able to do Kijiji. The only thing I've ever gotten from there was my lovely kitten (I know...it's bad...I should've gone to a shelter....but I love my kitty ). So umm...Danby's not good? lol
    Complete quick surveys and cash out at every $20. Receive a cheque, deposit it into your bank. That easy! https://legerweb.com/2Q7V3

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    We've had ours for knock on wood 7 years paid a good $ for it. but love it. comes with a rotating tray. most of the buttons we don't use. it even has a dual clock 12/22 hour.
    its a Sunbeam.
    Never heard of Sunbeam! But I haven't seen it on the market either so it's not one of my options. Yeah microwaves are funny...they come with all sort of buttons we never use. What a waste :p If it were up to me it would just have a stop and go button Oh...and the popcorn one too lol.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My Sylvania one is showing it's wear and tear, it is a small college room sized one. I've had it now for 7 years. We paid $50 for it, regularly $99 at Canadian Tire. I just noticed last night that there is a small scorch mark on the door, so I stand by it when I microwave just in case. I have asked for a new one for Christmas.

I would stay away from Danby, my sister's both had theirs malfunction around the 2 year mark.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by natynat View Post
    Never heard of Sunbeam! But I haven't seen it on the market either so it's not one of my options. Yeah microwaves are funny...they come with all sort of buttons we never use. What a waste :p If it were up to me it would just have a stop and go button Oh...and the popcorn one too lol.
    You've never heard of Sunbeam? They make all kinds of small appliances from coffee pots to toasters to microwaves, available everywhere.

If you're looking for a decent return policy, hit Costco. If it dies in two years I think it is, they'll give you your money back.
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    I would stay away from Danby, my sister's both had theirs malfunction around the 2 year mark.
    Thank you, good to know!

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    You've never heard of Sunbeam? They make all kinds of small appliances from coffee pots to toasters to microwaves, available everywhere.

If you're looking for a decent return policy, hit Costco. If it dies in two years I think it is, they'll give you your money back.
    Lol I had to Google Image it. I've seen that brand around, but not as much as the others...And unfortunately I don't have a Costco card or know anyone who has it. I won't be paying the $50 membership fee just for that. Thank you for the advice though, I appreciate it

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i got my small Sharp one about 11 years ago at future shop and it's still working.

actually, if you read reviews on their website you can get an idea of which ones are ok and which to stay away from.
    matrix82 and natynat like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i got my small Sharp one about 11 years ago at future shop and it's still working.

actually, if you read reviews on their website you can get an idea of which ones are ok and which to stay away from.
    I've been doing some of that & decided to stay without a microwave until I find a good sale on a "good" microwave...one that's not cheap for a reason. Thanks!
    matrix82 likes this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I have a Danby from Walmart; paid $40.00 six years ago and it works great. The one before that was a really expensive Panasonic - the control panel stopped working after four years. Guess you never know.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

*cough*
    We have had 2 Danbys.
    Bought at Walmart and Zellers.
    They work really, really well.
    These are the larger 0.9 and 1.1 models, if that makes a difference.

They have been great.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Ours is a Salton bought at Canadian Tire on sale for something like 35.99. We've had it for a year. Had a Danby before that and it' lasted a couple of years as well. I personally by whatever is on sale and the cheapest. I try to keep in under 40.00 and they usually last a couple of years. They are used a lot in my house, probably more then average since I drink a lot of tea and don't have a kettle so they probably would last longer under normal use.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Lol. I didn't mean to offend anyone!!! I have a Danby refrigerator if it makes a difference it came with the apartment, and it's pretty good! It's true that you "just never know". I can't keep throwing out money because something is on sale though...so I will do my research and comparisons. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread so far!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information