User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Drug Dealer Across the Hall!

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I am so beyond pissed right now. The asshole across the hall is a drug dealer. I know the signs. The hallway always smells like cheap incense and he is coming and going from his apartment at all hours of the night for a few minutes and then coming right back. (Most likely making an exchange in the lobby.)

But it's not bad enough he is a drug dealer, he is also an inconsiderate jerk who feels the need to slam his door closed every time he leaves. Then he slams it again when he comes back up a few minutes later!

My poor dog is going out of her mind. She has always been good with the other neighbours and never barked until this guy moved in. Now every time the door slams she barks, the baby wakes up screaming, which in turn wakes us up.

I'm about ready to snap. I don't feel safe confronting him, so I'm not sure what else I can do, although what I feel like doing is taking the door off the hinges and hiding the damn thing just to teach him a lesson!

/rant
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Call the police & file a report about it

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Definitely call the police.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As far as the noise goes some people arent used to apt living and dont know how noisy they are being. He might actually appreciate a polite note in his mailbox letting him know that it is annoying his neighbors. I am sure if he really is a drug dealer he wouldnt want to draw any undue attention to himself
    LIVE SIMPLE and millak like this.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Since my last post he's gone out three more times. Argh.

I must say, he has a pretty good set up though. We have a security camera at our door so you can see who is buzzing in (however you must be a Rogers customer to access it and since we're no longer with Rogers I can't have fun watching him do his thing other than spying through the peep hole like a nosy old lady HA!)

So they ring the buzzer. He checks things out with the camera. Then he leaves his apartment with the drugs in the pocket of his hoodie and takes the elevator down to the lobby. Makes the exchange, comes back up and locks the door again until next time.

I really do not want a drug dealer living across the hall from me though. I am an anxious person to begin with. I don't need to add worrying about fire (from the incense), or robbers (trying to find drugs and breaking into our apartment by mistake), etc. (Yes, I know I worry about the strangest things but that is just how my brain works!)
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I remember when one of our neighbours moved in (and we were in townhomes and he moved in across the walkway). He rented from the previous owners. We had nicknames for some of the neighbours we didn't know personally. We called him grow op guy! He just gave us that feeling but was a nice enough, neighbourly guy. Don't you know about a year or so later we wake up to cop cars IN the walkway! Turns out his neighbours heard someone breaking in so called the police. Police arrive and he had a GROW OP in the basement! No word of a lie! I only wish we'd have had more proof then our "suspicion" and had called crime stoppers. You could always call crime stoppers then you'd be annonymous.
    matrix82, Natalka, Poirot and 2 others like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I remember when one of our neighbours moved in (and we were in townhomes and he moved in across the walkway). He rented from the previous owners. We had nicknames for some of the neighbours we didn't know personally. We called him grow op guy! He just gave us that feeling but was a nice enough, neighbourly guy. Don't you know about a year or so later we wake up to cop cars IN the walkway! Turns out his neighbours heard someone breaking in so called the police. Police arrive and he had a GROW OP in the basement! No word of a lie! I only wish we'd have had more proof then our "suspicion" and had called crime stoppers. You could always call crime stoppers then you'd be annonymous.
    Haha the grow op guy really was a grow op guy! So um...what does a grow op guy look like? Name:  17.gif
Views: 1036
Size:  1.2 KB
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We are in town homes and right across the street we constantly had people coming and going, leaving their cars running so you knew they weren't staying. They would also park in front of driveways/cars so you couldn't leave.

Anyway, I live in a complex that still has most of the original owners, so it is mostly 70+, and you know, the stereotype of old biddies being in everyone's business is most definitely true. But in this case it was good. Here in NS there is a "safe neighborhood" program where you can call and say there is suspicious activity, as well as the cops. So a lot of people did that cause this guy wasn't "just" a weed dealer, but this was hard drugs. Eventually they got raided which was rather heartbreaking because a 9 year old child also lived there that got dragged out screaming (by her uncle instead of foster care) for her mom (the drug dealers girlfriend). And we thought after they were raided the landlord (renting the condo from the owner) would force them out. Nope, they were here for another six months.

Just tell the cops or community line of the suspicious activity, and see if they can watch someone's camera when they drop by? Or does only the person buzzing have access to the camera then?
    Last edited by alicia; Sun, Oct 28th, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typos
    matrix82 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How upsetting, I can see how that can make you want to snap. My suggestion would not be to call the police, if he suspects it's you he could retaliate. His friends may be shady characters as well. Best thing to do, introduce yourself, be kind-feel out his personality, is he defensive... Then ask him politely. I lived beside alcoholics and drug addicts and I did snap, I called police had confrontations which only made things worse. They got louder and louder. Finally I had to move. Good luck.
    millak likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Calling Crime Stoppers is a wonderful idea. They will check it out and while it will take some time, you could save your community some grief.
    gracesmommy likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do not have a confrontation with him. That really could make you a target.
    I disagree with Addict. If you call the police and they end up arresting him, he wouldn't have any way of knowing which neighbour called them or if it even was a neighbour. I'm not sure what kind of evidence you would need for the police to get involved. But it's a good idea to at least have a conversation with them to find out what steps you should take to protect yourself.
    Do you have a good landlord? Maybe it would be best if you let them know about the door slamming and why you don't want to confront them yourself.
    For now I would just treat your neighbour as you normally would. If you say hi to people when you pass them in the hall, do the same with him. Don't give him any reason to suspect you.
    Last edited by abbasgirl; Sun, Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    matrix82, lecale and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'd first talk to the landlord to see if they could talk to the person about door slamming. There may be a malfunction with the door (I say this because I did live in an apartment where the door hinges had something wrong with them, sometimes the door had to be slammed in order to shut, took a couple weeks for the landlord to fix the door, it had expanded and needed to be shaved in one section).

As for the visitors, you could mention this to the landlord as well.

Some excellent suggestions above such as crimestoppers.
    Marteli likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

i'd be calling crime stoppers for sure!

When life hands you lemons, make a lemon pie... lemonade will be all like WTH?!?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
    matrix82, i_forget and millak like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If those who are with Rogers can access the camera system to vet visitors, presumably the building superintendants or apartment management team also has access to the security cameras too? I mean, they'd would use the same system to allow vendors or service crews to come during the daytime or just check on lobby traffic whenever? They might also be recording this traffic?

OP, use the discreet ways to alert the authorities and apartment management about the tenant with too much "extra" going on. He's probably breaking some other laws too with his "home" business. For your own defense about your dog barking over each door slam (poor dear), you should record all dates and times you are aware of it because someone is likely considering your dog barking just as bad or worse noise than the dealer coming and going. Maybe the vet could provide you with some tips about how to relax the dog at nighttime (drops in food or water) so dog does not respond to each door slam but only if it is your door in question.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information