• 2 Post By In10s
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By Laisha
  • 1 Post By couponmummy

Thread: How To Make A Screen Protector

Fairly Experienced
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Does anyone know how to make a cheap screen protector that will fit a 10.1" tablet? I Googled it and got a few hits, but I can't find the material. I'm not wasting 35 bucks on one that fits mine! It's just a sheet of clear plastic! It ridiculous how much they rip you off on accessories, which is where they make their money. One suggestion is using thin vinyl from a fabric store. Saw stuff at Walmart but it's thick and doesn't stick. Same with vinyl tablecloth protector. Clear shelf liner had an adhesive and I don't want gunk on the screen, plus the adhesive distorts the fine details on the screen, such as small print. There use to be a sign shop that made vinyl graphics from which I'd see if they had scrap pieces of clear but they moved. I went into the craft store, Michaels, but they didn't have anything that I could find. Saran wrap sticks but is so thin that it tears and crinkles easily. Those overhead transparencies and page protectors don't work either.

Any more ideas?
    This thread is currently associated with: Michaels Arts and Crafts, Walmart

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Honestly I use amazon and ebay to order my screen protectors. The last I ordered was for my phone. Screen protector cost $0.21(so I bought 2) + $2.99 S+H. It took a little while to arrive, but it more accurately reflects the cost of production. It was fitted for my phone and has worked great so far.
    Jeff D and 4sure5 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What 10.1 inch tablet do you have? I ask because if it's an Asus Transformer (TF101) or Transformer Prime (TF201), you dont need anything. The Gorilla Glass screen is virtually indestructible, scratch proof, and almost shatterproof. (sure, beat it with a hammer, and you'll destroy it, but so would you with a screen protector)

Secondly... you cant just put any-old adhesive or vinyl cover on it. The adhesive and the surface itself has to be absolutely clear for your high-resolution screen to show through it properly. For example: while clear Contact paper looks virtually clear and invisible on a counter top, or other surface... try showing a high-resolution image through the adhesive and vinyl and realize how much a mistake that was.

In fact, buy even the wrong type of screen protector for your screen, and see how horrid it looks. I put one intended for a kindle on my smart phone, and it completely polarized my view, causing a rainbow effect and the screen flickered through it something fierce. I had to remove it.

Also, the vinyl and adhesive has to allow for the capactive touch to work through it properly for your touch screen. While it MIGHT work somewhat, it might not work properly or to your satisfaction.

Really, $30 for the screen protector is worth the investment... after you waste all your time running around searching for a substitute... and the investment(s) you'll make trying and failing, you might as well cough up the $30 and protect your $400+ tablet properly.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Oct 20th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    maliha44 likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well,screen protector is really worth to buy,it will protect your screen well from scratches,I think you can buy one online,amazon or ebay or best buy are all good place to buy.
    Jeff D likes this.
    The Apple iPad3 cover can provide a good protection to the ipad.

Fairly Experienced
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

It was a used tablet-Acer Iconia A500, for 200.00. If it was an 800.00 iPad the extra 35 bucks is realitively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    What 10.1 inch tablet do you have? I ask because if it's an Asus Transformer (TF101) or Transformer Prime (TF201), you dont need anything. The Gorilla Glass screen is virtually indestructible, scratch proof, and almost shatterproof. (sure, beat it with a hammer, and you'll destroy it, but so would you with a screen protector)

Secondly... you cant just put any-old adhesive or vinyl cover on it. The adhesive and the surface itself has to be absolutely clear for your high-resolution screen to show through it properly. For example: while clear Contact paper looks virtually clear and invisible on a counter top, or other surface try showing a high-resolution image through the adhesive and vinyl and realize how much a mistake that was.

In fact, buy even the wrong type of screen protector for your screen, and see how horrid it looks. I put one intended for a kindle on my smart phone, and it completely polarized my view, causing a rainbow effect and the screen flickered through it something fierce. I had to remove it.

Also, the vinyl and adhesive has to allow for the capactive touch to work through it properly for your touch screen. While it MIGHT work somewhat, it might not work properly or to your satisfaction.

Really, $30 for the screen protector is worth the investment... after you waste all your time running around searching for a substitute... and the investment(s) you'll make trying and failing, you might as well cough up the $30 and protect your $400+ tablet properly.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Plastic screen protector is enough. very cheap and durable.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to buy my iPhone invisible shield equivilent protectors from http://www.bestskinsever.com.
    Worked out to like $4/shield shipping included. Maybe you can find some good tablet ones there. :D

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I prefer to enjoy my electronics in all their glory rather than covering them in plastic or a bulky case just to throw it out once i buy a new one!

But yes +1 on bestskinsever.com their skins work good and they are cheap
    Join me in earning with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/AForceNinja

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I just purchased 6 on Ebay for $3.68 shipping to Canada included Can't beat that!
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I suggesting you for the Scratch-less lamination for your tablet that is not so much expensive and very effective.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

If you want to go cheap cheap, they sell the roll of clear plastic for book covers for $1 at the Dollarama. Use an X-Acto knife to cut it to size. And if you mess up, you still have a whole roll. Works for my PSP and 3DS.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Wed, Nov 13th, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Candini likes this.

lovin' the savings!
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

was going to suggest the same as couponmummy. I've used it on an iPod touch..it's a great alternative.

Thread Information