User Tag List

Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

kitty, when I order the Tattler lids, it was a big order of 5000 lids in bulk bag.
    Not the box of 12 lids per box in a case of 12 or 24 box.
    We were several people in the order and the cost per lid was around 0.58$ tx included, shipping included and 'douane' included because order was from state.
    So for me who need alot of lids per year it was great.
    I need more then 150 box of 12 lids per year. Dolor store usually didn't have that much in stock and mine didn't have the wide mouth anymore. And no I will not go at CT with scrat card to get 150 box of lids split in so many transaction of 5$ at the time!
    Kitty77 likes this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty77 View Post
    Just checked amazon.ca and they have the Tattler canning jar lids available for $12.99 for a package of 12, imagine there is shipping and of course taxes. First time ever looked these up, don't know if this is a good price or not.
    Still, use my Grandmother's old canning jars, so neat as some are dated on the bottom, and many are from the 1930's. My Mom came across a thrift store that had the glass lids for sale, they had a regular buyer for the old canning jars, the lady was making candles in them, but didn't want the glass lids, good for me. In southern Ontario they still stock the metal lids and rubber rings, so these are readily available at many stores, am stocked haven't noticed them here in Alberta, so hope they have them here as well. Happy Canning Ladies, always enjoy reading your posts!!!
    Canadian Tire has the rubber rings to go with those. I have been converting all of mine to the snap lids. I have a bunch of the glass lids... let me know if you need some... I can ship them off in a couple months... they are in my storage LOL... but I have 50 - 100 of them and the rings to go with them.
    operabob and Kitty77 like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010ontest View Post
    kitty, when I order the Tattler lids, it was a big order of 5000 lids in bulk bag.
    Not the box of 12 lids per box in a case of 12 or 24 box.
    We were several people in the order and the cost per lid was around 0.58$ tx included, shipping included and 'douane' included because order was from state.
    So for me who need alot of lids per year it was great.
    I need more then 150 box of 12 lids per year. Dolor store usually didn't have that much in stock and mine didn't have the wide mouth anymore. And no I will not go at CT with scrat card to get 150 box of lids split in so many transaction of 5$ at the time!

LOL That is a great deal! I wish they made the lids for the gem jars as well. I have probably 250 gems and more of the others. Thanks so much for letting us know the price!
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

it was a special last year fall deals (2011)...

they regularly have some kind of special, better to take a look often

lucky me I don't have the gems one, but guess what, I have some gem lids at home :S
    Last edited by 2010ontest; Fri, Dec 14th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

2010ontest, that was a great deal on the Tattler jar lids, nice to be stocked up!! You will be glad over the years to add to your collection of canning supplies. These must be fairly new, wonder as the demand grows, maybe they will come down in price and be available in more local stores.

Ach, this summer bought the wrong kind of lids, metal Gem jar snap lids, thought they would fit my jars, had to return them, darn had opened 1 box so still have it. The metal Gem snap jar lids are available at the Co-Op, here in Alberta. Had to go find some Bernardin lids, once those lids are used in the pressure canner you cannot reuse them, still save some to use on jars that are not full, leftovers from the recipe am canning.

Cheekysaver, thank you so much for the offer of the of the glass jar lids, but have many, we just moved here 1 year ago, and still have boxes of jars not unpacked, so can imagine having stuff in storage. You do not know how rich you are until you have to move, all those boxes, lol!!

Made cranberry, apple and grape jelly today, look so pretty, taste great also.

Came across a jar of rose petals that I dried while on the farm, they still smell wonderful. Dried them in the dehydrator and the aroma was so nice, think I will add some crushed rose petals to some baby oil, makes a nice lotion for the skin, but must be refridgerated, so only make in small batches.

Happy Canning, Everyone!!
    2010ontest likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bekki3 View Post
    Today I bought 15 brand new jars at a second hand store (the medium sized ones). I paid $4 for the box... is this a good price?! Does anyone know what the jars cost in the stores?

When we moved a bunch of years ago I got rid of all my canning stuff but thought I would pick these up to try to start again after reading everyone's posts.
    $4 is a great price for the jars, especially new, and even better if they included the lids & rings.

Value Village sells their jars @ .29 each, so $3.50 a dozen, plus tax. I usually pick up a few jars there (I give a lot of my canning away, especially at Christmas!)

garage sales usually have awesome deals for canning jars.
    Kitty77 likes this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Decorated some jars of jelly for gifts, trace a jar lid on some old Christmas cards or wrapping paper or cloth, cut out and remove the ring from the jar put the circle of paper on the jar lid, replace the ring and and tie some ribbon around the jar if you like. Was fun to do.

Happy Monday!!
    Crochetlady and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty77 View Post
    Decorated some jars of jelly for gifts, trace a jar lid on some old Christmas cards or wrapping paper or cloth, cut out and remove the ring from the jar put the circle of paper on the jar lid, replace the ring and and tie some ribbon around the jar if you like. Was fun to do.

Happy Monday!!
    That is a great tip! Thanks for sharing.
    operabob and Kitty77 like this.

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Long day Saturday.. I made 8 - 1/2 pints of bacon jam and 4 pints each of black beans and chickpeas...

Question for the experts;

I soaked the beans overnight, then simmered them for at least an hour as I was making the bacon jam. When canning, I filled the jars a little over 3/4 full, and topped up with the cooking liquid, leaving 1 inch headspace. I canned them at 11lbs pressure for 75min from what I read was the proper time. An hour or so after removing the jars, I noticed the beans had absorbed more liquid, which left the very top layer of bean exposed. Should I be worried about this as they are not completely submerged??

Jars sealed fine, no leakage, but not sure if the lack of extra liquid will affect the beans.

Any comments?
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

NikiB, if you are concerned about this batch of beans being okay, if there is some headspace in the jar, either freeze the jars or use this batch of beans right away. Pretty sure they are ok, but to be on the safe side, this is what I would do, just my opinion. Reading that you followed all the steps in the recipe, all this canning takes practice, note in this recipe what happened, and try it again, using less beans and more liquid per jar to allow for the beans to soak up the extra juice.
    Happy canning!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Yesterday I canned 4 jars of cranberry sauce! yum yum!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NickiB View Post
    Long day Saturday.. I made 8 - 1/2 pints of bacon jam and 4 pints each of black beans and chickpeas...

Question for the experts;

I soaked the beans overnight, then simmered them for at least an hour as I was making the bacon jam. When canning, I filled the jars a little over 3/4 full, and topped up with the cooking liquid, leaving 1 inch headspace. I canned them at 11lbs pressure for 75min from what I read was the proper time. An hour or so after removing the jars, I noticed the beans had absorbed more liquid, which left the very top layer of bean exposed. Should I be worried about this as they are not completely submerged??

Jars sealed fine, no leakage, but not sure if the lack of extra liquid will affect the beans.

Any comments?
    I have had this happen with meat when I dry can. I have also tried some meat that was dry canned and had no liquid on top 9 months after it was canned. It did change the colour a little bit but it was just fine. All of the air and the bacteria is removed from the jar so it should be just fine. LOL just so you know I often double and triple check when I am canning something new too. I do recommend you write down the adjustment needed on the recipe you used. It is SOOO much cheaper to can your own beans then it is to purchase them.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I have had this happen with meat when I dry can. I have also tried some meat that was dry canned and had no liquid on top 9 months after it was canned. It did change the colour a little bit but it was just fine. All of the air and the bacteria is removed from the jar so it should be just fine. LOL just so you know I often double and triple check when I am canning something new too. I do recommend you write down the adjustment needed on the recipe you used. It is SOOO much cheaper to can your own beans then it is to purchase them.
    Thanks for the reassurance! I definitely know now that pre-soaking, and simmering for an hour doesn't mean the bean still won't swell more! Crazy!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Canning venison tomorrow, peeled my patatoes today and tomorrow will be a busy day.
    Kitty77 and cheekysaver like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Happy New Year, Everyone! May all your canning jars be filled in 2013!!

Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread Information