• 9 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 8 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By abouret
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Expired Coupons on Cereal Boxes :(

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I had purchased some cereal about a week ago that my hubby likes. It had the coupons on the box for a free breakfast item. I was excited because his cereal isn't cheap. Hubby opened a box today and I realized the damn coupons expired in September. What the frigg! So much for thinking I would recoup some of the cost of the cereal by getting a FPC.

Ticks me off. The cereal itself is good til Feb.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

OMG they still have those free breakfast item boxes on the shelves? That promo is ancient. I guess you can't return if the cereal is good though? That's annoying
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    104 (100%)

I'd try calling Kellogg's and tell them you're upset, maybe they will send you some coupons for the cereal?
    Anna Michele and Mags like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Did it have an expiry date for the coupon on the outside of the box?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This seems to happen with promotions, and it's not just cereal. It's just a matter of being aware of the promos and when they end. There were lots of threads on SC about the free coupons.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I find it funny (not ha ha funny but I hope you know what I mean), when this promo was on could I find these boxes anywhere, NO. Once the promo ended the boxes were everywhere. No Frills seemed to always have cereal on sale during this Promo one case would have codes and wow did those boxes go fast and than the rest would not. I actually had a guy there get me down 5 cases of cereal to check. After the promo expired almost every box had a promo code.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maribel View Post
    I'd try calling Kellogg's and tell them you're upset, maybe they will send you some coupons for the cereal?
    IMO, I don't think the OP should really do that. The full details of that promo were on the outside of the box, and since it was the OP's dh's favorite cereal, it's obviously purchased frequently anyways.

We really shouldn't be calling up manufacturers just because we didn't read the details on a box and complain to them. It's not their fault. Manufacturers run promotions from time to time to get us to purchase their products, it's an incentive, but it's not something they are required to do. As long as the cereal was not expired and there was nothing wrong with the product, it seems advising a company of your disappointment because you either didn't read the instructions correctly or missed the promo altogether is pointless.

OP, I know how disappointing this can be, it's happened to many of us. Stores need to keep the stock and for whatever reason, that box (or boxes) didn't make the shelved prior to the promo ending. SC is a great place to find all the latest info on promo's, ad it's great for letting us know when a breakfast promo is going to end too. These promo's seem to be the norm in the spring and when school is getting ready to start again in the fall, so I'm sure there will be another in a few months.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's my own fault. I usually will only buy the cereal when it's on sale but I saw the promo coupons and thought it would off set the cost of the cereal. Not a big deal but just more ticked off at myself than anything.

I will not call Kelloggs. It's not their issue. I'll just suck it up and tell DH he's eating GOLD and to savour every last bite. LOL

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

this was such an issue awhile back they finally started putting expiry dates on the OUTSIDE of the box and on the inside.. really bad when they offer the same promo two years in a row and you find the previous year's box!
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Personnaly, that happen unfortunately at least 3 times for me in the past. I'm kind of always asuming that if the products are on the shelf, it because the coupons is good. Lessons learn here. But everytime it happen, I wrote to the compagny telling them that I really like there product for reasons... , that I was looking for the coupons because my budget was tight and if the product is still on the shelf with a coupon that expire a while back maybe it's not "rotating" a lot and will not be as fresh as I will expected. Just be very polite and positive but show your concern. They always write me to say that the appreciate my comments and to not worry about the quality of the products. Plus they always send me coupons: Kelloggs send me 2$ coupon with no expiry date valid on any Kelloggs product, GM send me 1$ coupons expiry in 2014 for Betty Crooker, Old el Paso, Nature Valley... and finaly Dare send me 0.50$ coupon with no expiry date valid on any dare product.

You can try. The worst the can do is send you nothing. Which is exactly what you have right now
    Last edited by abouret; Sun, Dec 30th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Mags likes this.
    Hi! I'm a shopaholic... hum no, scratch that, I'm a dealaholic!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

How long is the expiry date on cereals normally ?

My Rexall still has GM cereals with cpns from last years movie promotion ...the 2013 boxes with the free movie snacks and free movies should be hitting the stores this month and these guys still have boxes with movie cpns from last year !

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I was in Zellars a couple of days ago and they had the cereals with the Oasis drinks coupons which expired at the end of August. I passed on buying them even though they were reduced by a whole 10%...making them still more expensive than one of my local supermarkets.
    Candini likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I remember going to my local Zellers before it closed to find the $4 Chicken on ODP Kits and they were months over expired, including the coupons.

And not just one. The whole shelf. :s

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at my local Overwaitea on Monday and saw the Special K boxes with the exercise mat on it. I was excited as I thought they were doing the promo again.

I read the boxes and it was from the last years promo which made me look at the cereal expiry and they had just expired a few days before.

Thread Information