User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Buyers beware : Please read shoppers drug mart electronics

gjpayne
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Dear Fellow SmartCanucks

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since lots of us tend to either cash in on the 20x points events, or there redeem your points for more events and tend to use those point systems on higher value items like electronics I figured the Deal spot was the right place to post this.
    I want all you to read this so you are fully aware of an un-advertised policy that Shoppers Drug Mart has with there electronics.

On this past Saturday we went into the shoppers Drug Mart at 2301 Tenth Line Road in Orleans ON, and purchased a wii u cost 299.99 because it was 20x the point event and because it was what my 5 year old son wanted for his birthday which was yesturday January 2nd. So we purchaesd this item along with a couple games. We came home Saturday and wrapped up the gift and hid it away till yesturday. Yesturday my son opened and was overjoyed, see it was the only thing he wanted and because we are in a middle of a move all his christmas presents have been packed away but this was something that he could play with while the packers continued to pack the house. So my husband and I went to set up the wii u, fallowed all instructions, but the blue light on the front of the machine kept flashing and it wasnt sending a signal from the wii u to the tv. So I phoned up Nintendo for some help trouble shouting and they said right off the bat that the wii u was deffective and said you can either take it back to the store because it was just purchased 4 days ago or send it to them and they would fix it. I said to Nintendo I will just take it back to the store, if I am going to spend $300 on something I want it 100% percent working when I purchase it, plus its my sons birthday today and I dont want him to wait the 4 weeks that it would take to send it out get it fixed and get it returned. Not thinking that it would be a problem to take it back to the store, seeeing how Shoppers offers a 30 day return policy. We packed it up and went to the store with reciept in hand and all I wanted was to exchange the wii u (I wasnt asking for a return or anything else) I was informed there that they dont take back open electronics products... I said to them but you sold a deffective wii u? Shouldnt you stand behind your products and offer an exhcange. They said no you have to deal with the manufacturer. But you off a 30 day return policy??? Not on our electronics they said. But where does that say it anywhere in your electronics department??? "It doesnt but its something that we have always done... You need to deal with the manufacturer, once electronics leave the store we are not responsible for them anymore!!!

I was so angry I went home and phoned there home office... after over 4 hours of getting the same run around from home office... I had someone finally tell me that they would contact the store tomorrow and put in a recomendation in for them to exchange the product, but ultimately the Front store Manager has the final say and if he doesnt want to exchange they cant force him to do it. So I am basically stuck with a product that doesnt work, which I have send away to get fixed. So essentially I paid $300 bucks to get a brand new wii u and now I am going to basically end up with a refurbished one.

I want you all to know to think twice about puchasing big ticket items like this from shoppers Drug mart.
    I am hoping that you can help show your support by posting on there facebook page where I have started my complaint... So that they make there customers more aware of there return policy for electronics, or they should stand behind their products that they sell.

Thank you in advance.
    Here is the link to their Facbook page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/shoppersdrugmart?fref=ts
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Silk, walkonby and kristeven like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry this happened to you - however, there have been many posts on SC warning others who may be thinking of purchasing electronics.
    neelkamalll1979 likes this.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

That sucks
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Return policy regarding electronics:

Return Exclusions with limited exceptions

• Electronics

• Returns will only be given if original product is returned in the original sealed box in saleable condition with a receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase

• In some instances you may be required to deal directly with the manufacturer.

• DVDs, VHS movies, video games, CD’s and software.

• Returns will ONLY be offered if the product is in it’s original packaging, unopened, in saleable condition, with receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase.

• Exchanges will ONLY be offered if the original is defective, after opening, with receipt and within the 30 day return period from original date of purchase.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh what a pain and such a let down for your son. We also purchased electronics from Shoppers... I voiced my concern to them before purchasing because I was worried about their policy (about the non return on opened electronics) and my store assured me that if something wasn't working that they would exchange. Hoping with the assistance of customer service your store will do the right thing.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    218 (100%)

That's really a horrible experience. I hope the store manager will exchange it for you. When I bought a DS-Nintendo 2 years ago, the cashier warned me that the electronics is not returnable and not exchangeable. Luckily for me, it was OK.

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

good to know, but so sorry to hear about yor experience.
    jessekaa

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the silver lining in all this is that nintendo is really good. I bought the original wii at launch - actually we entered our name in a draw at zellers for the right to buy there only one. We won it, and even though we werent really looking for one, we felt like it was our lucky day to get the hot item. Anyway, after getting it home, it was busted. Wouldn't turn on, frozen, complete lemon. We returned it to nintendo and got a brand new one that is still going strong. I am not sure they send refurbished items or repair yours... It was really fast for us, so I am pretty sure they just sent a replacement.

Shame about it being for your son's b-day, but it'll be worth the wait when he finally gets it. My son is 4 and is stuck to the system...
    uanoor, DiamondLil and i_forget like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Agreed Nintendo is really good, I bought a wii from shoppers and after few months it has some problem, so call them, and they have a repair warehouse in Scarborough very close to Markham, They gave a repair no. and I took wii their and picked up next day. And they also replace the Mario bros game came with wii, (that was demaged scratches by my little twins) so not their fault but they didn't ask any thing and just give me a new game. And wii's new one year warranty started from the date they repaired.
    Thats why I bought nintendo Ds from shoppers inspite of their return policy. As I know Nintendo will help for sure if have some problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stevstevd View Post
    the silver lining in all this is that nintendo is really good. I bought the original wii at launch - actually we entered our name in a draw at zellers for the right to buy there only one. We won it, and even though we werent really looking for one, we felt like it was our lucky day to get the hot item. Anyway, after getting it home, it was busted. Wouldn't turn on, frozen, complete lemon. We returned it to nintendo and got a brand new one that is still going strong. I am not sure they send refurbished items or repair yours... It was really fast for us, so I am pretty sure they just sent a replacement.

Shame about it being for your son's b-day, but it'll be worth the wait when he finally gets it. My son is 4 and is stuck to the system...
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Current user title here.
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Buy the same product at Walmart. Return the defective product back to Walmart and exchange it for a new product. Now you have 2 unopened products. Take one back to Shoppers We're On Drugs Mart for a refund and keep the other.

I know you have already sent your product to Nintendo but this may be helpful to other members.

Click "like" if you agree.

If you feel this is unethical, feel free to comment.
    Scorp411 and andreslin like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's a shame your store doesn't inform you of the policy before you buy. When I bought my Nexus the cashier made sure I knew their policy.

You found a coupon where?
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I know it's an awful policy from SDM but I'd like to also state Nintendo was amazing to us. We bought Rock Band and the mic would not connect. They sent us a new one without any issues. They give a long time frame but we got the new one back immediately.
    Anna Michele likes this.
    Christa

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by captainfats View Post
    Buy the same product at Walmart. Return the defective product back to Walmart and exchange it for a new product. Now you have 2 unopened products. Take one back to Shoppers We're On Drugs Mart for a refund and keep the other.

I know you have already sent your product to Nintendo but this may be helpful to other members.

I feel this is unethical, as it puts the burden on Walmart who wasn't at fault. But yes, that would work. I've heard this same type of argument before, and it usually eventually goes to people commenting that walmart is a large corporation, and they can afford the extra burden for dealing with their defective products. While true, it still wasn't Walmarts problem to begin with. Better would be buying your product at walmart in the first place. Or taking the risk at shoppers realizing your getting potentially 20x points, or redeeming for the product. The risk is worth it as generally products don't fail out of the box, and if they do, the manufacturer is usually pretty good at dealing with it. just creates a delay in enjoying the product. which again, is worth the risk to me for the discount you get at SDM in optimum points
    Mia001, DiamondLil, Silk and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by captainfats View Post

I don't necessarily agree with this but i have had walmart tell me that if they sell the product they will take it back even if it wasn't bought there. I think that is why they have such a great return policy even without a receipt. I have received gifts for my kids that they ended up with 2 and the person had no receipt. Took it to walmart and they did the return because they sell that product. I don't recommend doing it on purpose though.
    Scorp411 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I bought a new Sony ereader on the kinda "mega" redeption and she told me it was "final" sale and that I would have to go to the manufacturer..they are a third party seller she said something like that

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information