User Tag List

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

too funny I have lots of canning jars empty, but I also fill mine with all my dry staples, and use them for leftovers in the fridge, and to take lunch to work, and share food with friends (my good friends return jars , and if not, I'm always on the lookout for jars at thrift stores.

Happy canning in 2013!...my last canning last year was salsa & blueberry jam on Dec. 23rd...for Christmas gifts, of course.
    Kitty77, cheekysaver and nessa23 like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

You guys are making me hungry and I'm really craving pickles. I have the 250 ml jars from when I used to make cat and dog food but that was frozen and raw. I may give this canning thing a shot some day!
    cheekysaver likes this.

My Tangerine Key is:39626323S1

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

LOL This month I am not canning... well probably not anyways.... if a freebie happens I just might have to!

The oranges on sale are looking very tempting!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Venison turned out perfectly, going to see how I feel later this week and hoping to do atleast 1 turkey (lol).
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Venison turned out perfectly, going to see how I feel later this week and hoping to do atleast 1 turkey (lol).
    FYI on turkeys.... I have a person in my family that pro butchered for years. He cut up my turkey and Mom's... long story short the bigger the turkey the more meat you get off the bird. A 12 lb bird might yeild 5lbs of boneless meat.... but a 22lb bird will yield 11. LOL us couponers just have to know these bottom lines!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

thanks for pointing that out I had no idea, unfortunately I stocked up on the little birds - lesson learned for the next big turkey sale but luckily I have 6 small turkeys (lol)....I need turkey recipes for canning, I plan on making soup, raw packed meat,

anyone have a recipe for chicken cacitore???

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    FYI on turkeys.... I have a person in my family that pro butchered for years. He cut up my turkey and Mom's... long story short the bigger the turkey the more meat you get off the bird. A 12 lb bird might yeild 5lbs of boneless meat.... but a 22lb bird will yield 11. LOL us couponers just have to know these bottom lines!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    thanks for pointing that out I had no idea, unfortunately I stocked up on the little birds - lesson learned for the next big turkey sale but luckily I have 6 small turkeys (lol)....I need turkey recipes for canning, I plan on making soup, raw packed meat,

anyone have a recipe for chicken cacitore???
    I did make some turkey soup... I am sure there are several ways to do it but here is what I did... almost all of the meat got cut off the bones (I left enough for the soup) then the bones and carrots onion and celery with water went into a big pot to make the broth. While that was cooking on the stove I proceeded to can turkey meat. Some say to add a tsp of salt to a pint jar... i add about 1/4 of a teaspoon. I like salt and use it all the time... to me a teaspoon comes out very salty and it doesn't add to the shelf life... if you add less you can put more in later when you open the jar. My turkey was a raw pack. After a few hours when the turkey stock was ready I strained it and took the remaining meat off the bones and I tasted the stock. If the stock requires salt or boulian add it now and get it to your taste.. don't add pepper until you reheat it... black pepper can intensify in flavor. I got my 7 quart size jars ready and dropped the cut up meat into the bottom of the jars then I put in fresh cut up celery carrots and onions on top. The broth then went on top of the meat and veg and is ready to can. I did not add any noodles because they go mushy and they are not recommended. I left enough room in every jar so when I heat up my soup I can just throw in a hand full of noodles and cook them right in the broth... and presto chango I now have 7 jars of soup on hand for days when we are not feeling up to snuff.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Processing time for 500mls with meat (including soup) is still 75 mins. For the quart jars my soup was processed the full 90 mins.

Sorry I forgot to add that up there ^^^ LOL
    operabob and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Does anyone reuse Classico or PC pasta sauce jars? I noticed they say 'mason' on them and I saved them, but not sure where to get new lids for them, if the bernadin ones will fit, if I should reuse them at all..does anyone do this? It would be nice to be able to use these for canning.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwobi View Post
    Does anyone reuse Classico or PC pasta sauce jars? I noticed they say 'mason' on them and I saved them, but not sure where to get new lids for them, if the bernadin ones will fit, if I should reuse them at all..does anyone do this? It would be nice to be able to use these for canning.
    its not recommended. Apparently then can break? My parents have used them for years and year for FREEZER jam though.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

tomorrow I am making fruit preserves with my berries from the freezer, I must admit it will clear quite a space in my freezer.

I am defrosting my turkey as we speak and plan to cook on Sunday and will be making soup on Sunday evening hopefully if all goes well.
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I reuse jars all the time. I use them for the items I dehydrate like carrots, onions, peppers and they are great for storing items like open packages of crackers. If you put in your food then put a hand warmer on top leaving a small gap at the top and a perfectly clean rim you screw that cap on nice and snug then the hand warmer removes all of the air out of the container and it seals. Once the jars are sealed the product is good for a very long time. In the case of veggies they are good for up to 25 years if they are sealed in a cold dark place. (a box even works to keep it dark) When I dry up onion that I can not use up in time before it spoils I have a choice to rehydrate it in a recipe or make onion powder in a blender or a magic bullet type of gadget. I can also make up my own celery salt and other items. (homemade celery salt has a much more intense flavor due to freshness and it could go in some recipes where celery seed is called for)
    Name:  dried stuff.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  128.9 KB

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We tried making pickles this summer and they did not turn out, tasting very good. I also made strawberry jam (without the gelatine) and it was really runny. I think it tastes good though and the kids love it. It is good on Sundaes...I definitely want to get more into canning!
    cheekysaver and jasperandchar like this.
    Start your savings with Ing direct orange key: 14063041S1

Have you tried swagbucks? http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sciotti

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I have some pasta jars i use to freeze spaghetti sauce never had a problem with them

tobiwobi and jasperandchar like this.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So with the leftover juice from canning the berries, I put them into Mason Jars and we use the liquid on our Vanilla ice cream so yummy, will try and post pictures in the next few days.

So cooked the turkey today it was yummy, I will be making soup tomorrow evening after a funeral (ds friend who is 12 years old passed away - poor guy)
    seylz_gurl likes this.

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread Information