User Tag List

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sarah_cio View Post
    We tried making pickles this summer and they did not turn out, tasting very good. I also made strawberry jam (without the gelatine) and it was really runny. I think it tastes good though and the kids love it. It is good on Sundaes...I definitely want to get more into canning!
    I am sorry your pickles didn't turn out. It can take some tinkering and research to find a recipe that works.

When it comes to jams that come out runny... well that isn't a fail in any way shape or form... it is called syrup! I like strawberry syrup on pancakes. Not exactly a healthy meal but it sure does taste good!
    operabob and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

But I want to reuse jars for pickling, I don't dehydrate stuff unfortunately.

I think the concern with reusing commercial jars is that when you boil them they may burst because they're too thin and can't withstand the temperature.

But if you look at the Classico jars, they are thick and have the "MASON" imprint right in the glass.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwobi View Post

I think the concern with reusing commercial jars is that when you boil them they may burst because they're too thin and can't withstand the temperature.

But if you look at the Classico jars, they are thick and have the "MASON" imprint right in the glass.
    Ok here is something I found on the classico being used for canning jars. Only you can decide what to do for yourself. I think this site hits the pro's and cons pretty good. http://www.attainable-sustainable.ne...-canning-jars/ You can get the lids at Canadian Tire stores. They can fairly costly. A case of the lids with rings runs 6-7 dollars. The sealed jars can be stored away with the rings off so you really only need one set to start.
    operabob likes this.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwobi View Post

I reuse alot of them without major problem.

Well they could be less thick and broke earlier, but if you get those for free or already have it because you buy the sauce already, why not using it? The most badiest thing that could happen is to lost one jar here and there. But honestly I didn't remark any difference for me in the past 5 years I used the Atlas mason jar (brand used for classico sauce).

The most bad experiment I had was with the brand "Homediscovery" that I buy new. (and that brand was distribute by Jarden the mother corp of Ball, Bernardin and many other). Half of the case broke at the first use in the water boiling bath I never buy that brand again.
    cheekysaver and thriftygranny like this.
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Ok I said I wasn't canning this month and I kinda sorta did... I cheated but I did can. I picked up a massive bottle of honey garlic sauce a month ago 3.7L bottle. I opened it yesterday and that ment canning the rest up today so it won't spoil. I put almost all of it in 250ml jars so it will be in a size we can use up. I sterilized the jars and brought the sauce up to a boil while my rings were waiting... then jarred it up and put it in a water bath for 30 mins. This is not a recommended canning method... but I tried it anyways... my cost worked out to .80 cents a jar. We will see how it goes.
    Name:  honey garlic sauce.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  46.6 KB
    operabob, Kitty77 and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

Hi everyone, I found a very simple recipe for Red Pepper Jelly. Here is a photo of the Jelly (it's very inexpensive to make and it tastes great):

Name:  Picture 54.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  33.5 KB

Red Pepper Jelly

3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped jalapeno or serrano hot peppers
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    4 ounces pectin (recommended: Certo)
    4 drops red food coloring
    Special Equipment: 6 (1/2-pint) canning jars with lids

Process bell pepper and hot pepper in a food processor until finely minced.

Combine pepper mixture, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add pectin and food coloring. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

This recipe made 6 small jars & 3 250 ml jars.

Last edited by Mystic; Sun, Mar 24th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
    Angela273, cheekysaver and RSAS like this.
    Join Swagbucks - I've earned $150.00 so far!!
    "If you can dream it - you can do it"

Trading Score
    272 (100%)

So I canned 8 pints of beans (4 Kidney, 4 Pinto) on Tuesday.. This attempt went slightly better than my black bean/chick pea canning, meaning that there is enough liquid to cover the beans after processing. However, this time, the beans look mushier than last time. Maybe the type of bean? I even didn't pre-cook this time, just soaked them overnight. I'm sure it will taste fine, the pinto's I'll be making refried beans with anyway, so not a big deal, but I am hoping someday soon I'll have pressure canned something that look "pretty" as well as being tasty.

Also canned two quarts of homemade chicken stock... my first time doing something "meat" related.. hoping to do pasta sauce soon.

One question for the pro's at pressure canning.... is it just me, or is it difficult to keep the exact pressure for the length of the canning time. My area is 10lbs pressure, however, I usually end up canning at 11-12lbs, as I'm afraid of it dropping below 10 if I reduce the heat too much. (Maybe this is why the beans are mushy looking?) Any input would be appreciated...

Regardless of my learning curve, I must say I'm in LOVE with my canner.... can't wait til Spring when I'll have more time available, I have a growing "pinterest" list of all the things I want to try! My only worry is with a family of 2, we'll have way more than we can use!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

For the peeps who are boiling turkey bones to make soup---
    Add a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar to your pot. It doesn't affect the taste and it leaches alot of the calcium out of the bones and adds it to your diet! Whenever you are boiling bones for soups, stews, etc... add a little acid to get the mineral benefit out.
    I love the pictures of canned goods. I have a water bath only. I would love a pressure canner and dehydrater someday! I found this picture on pinterest and added it to my board for storing ideas:

I love the rails painted with chalkboard paint--great to keep track of what and when so you can rotate stock

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

My first time using our pressure canner! I chose chicken after much research on the safest ways to preserve it. we had 6 laying hens taking up space in our chest freezer so i'd been wanting to do this for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

looks awesome....I really want to get a pressure canner & start canning homemade soups & stews.
    cheekysaver and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

A couple years ago I got a pressure canner and last year canned beets. They do not taste very good...well actually, they don't taste at all. I struggled with how long it takes to get to the right pressure, then trying to keep the pressure from continuously rising. It also takes a very long time for the pressure to drop. What should be 30 minutes processing time turns into over an hour altogether. Any hints, suggestions, or guidance on using a pressure canner would be greatly appreciated Or should I go back to a regular canner for some things?
    cheekysaver likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NickiB View Post
    So I canned 8 pints of beans (4 Kidney, 4 Pinto) on Tuesday.. This attempt went slightly better than my black bean/chick pea canning, meaning that there is enough liquid to cover the beans after processing. However, this time, the beans look mushier than last time. Maybe the type of bean? I even didn't pre-cook this time, just soaked them overnight. I'm sure it will taste fine, the pinto's I'll be making refried beans with anyway, so not a big deal, but I am hoping someday soon I'll have pressure canned something that look "pretty" as well as being tasty.

Also canned two quarts of homemade chicken stock... my first time doing something "meat" related.. hoping to do pasta sauce soon.

One question for the pro's at pressure canning.... is it just me, or is it difficult to keep the exact pressure for the length of the canning time. My area is 10lbs pressure, however, I usually end up canning at 11-12lbs, as I'm afraid of it dropping below 10 if I reduce the heat too much. (Maybe this is why the beans are mushy looking?) Any input would be appreciated...

Regardless of my learning curve, I must say I'm in LOVE with my canner.... can't wait til Spring when I'll have more time available, I have a growing "pinterest" list of all the things I want to try! My only worry is with a family of 2, we'll have way more than we can use!
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... I moved feb 15th and I still have no internet (i am at starbucks enjoying a free coffee).

I totally winged it and canned up some beans. I used the easiest fastest way and I rinsed the beans and picked out the ugly bits and stones. For black beans and red kidney beans 1/2 cup of the rinsed beans in the jar with 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt worked amazing! This was done in a propper old style quart jar. (If i was using a 500 ml I would add 1 TBSP more of the beans in each jar.) I left one inch head space and processed them for 75 mins. No beans were above the top of the liquid and yet the jars were full. This is the weird part ... when I pulled them out of the canner there was liquid at the top of the beans and I thought I had under filled the jars. I took the rings off and labeled them and put them away and 2 weeks later the beans had expanded and they looked just right.

Now the plain pinto beans i tried....1/2 cup was not enough beans... i will add 2 TBSP's more of the beans next time.

I am going to be putting the black beans and pintos into the blender and then using them to replace half the fat in my baking. I still need to do up some plain white beans for the white products. When you use the beans it increases the protein and halfs the fat... it doesn't change the flavor and the texture is lighter... but the protein helps to fill you up. We will see how it goes.
    operabob and RSAS like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    A couple years ago I got a pressure canner and last year canned beets. They do not taste very good...well actually, they don't taste at all. I struggled with how long it takes to get to the right pressure, then trying to keep the pressure from continuously rising. It also takes a very long time for the pressure to drop. What should be 30 minutes processing time turns into over an hour altogether. Any hints, suggestions, or guidance on using a pressure canner would be greatly appreciated Or should I go back to a regular canner for some things?
    I am guessing you got a presto canner! I purchased a adjustable pressure regulator that giggles and lets off the extra pressure. You turn it down once or twice and you are set. I am at a altitude that requires a 12lb processing time so I adjusted my regulator to 12lbs. I have a youtube vid showing how I did it and the differences between using the regulator that came with the canner and the one I use all the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-ry1yPLsU

As for your beets... sorry I have not canned beets yet... but I will be in the future so any tips other canners have on beets I would also love and appreciate!
    operabob and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    I am guessing you got a presto canner! I purchased a adjustable pressure regulator that giggles and lets off the extra pressure. You turn it down once or twice and you are set. I am at a altitude that requires a 12lb processing time so I adjusted my regulator to 12lbs. I have a youtube vid showing how I did it and the differences between using the regulator that came with the canner and the one I use all the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-ry1yPLsU

As for your beets... sorry I have not canned beets yet... but I will be in the future so any tips other canners have on beets I would also love and appreciate!
    Thanks for the info and link

I also canned green beans which turned out okay, except I cut them with a paring knife so all the ends are rust color I'm looking forward to correcting my mistakes and having a bounty of jarred treasures this fall. Guess I better get on getting some seeds!
    cheekysaver likes this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

not quite a canning question, but has anyone made homemade fermented saurkraut?

I've bought a lovely version at the health food stores that contains cabbage, carrots & ginger, but it would be so much cheaper to make my own.

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread Information