User Tag List

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1584Likes

Thread: Frugal February Chatter

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post

Oh my gosh soooo cute!!! Can't you give him a sticker or a penny if he does good LOL. I guess a treat would work too.
    And he knows it! As for treats- LIVER! It's working. I cooked it last night and cut it up into lots of little pieces. He is now going on the mat and then waiting for his treat. I guess it is all about finding the right motivation! LOL! Now I just need to figure out what will motivate the weather to cooperate so that he can go outside He is still to young to be out in this cold.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    And he knows it! As for treats- LIVER! It's working. I cooked it last night and cut it up into lots of little pieces. He is now going on the mat and then waiting for his treat. I guess it is all about finding the right motivation! LOL! Now I just need to figure out what will motivate the weather to cooperate so that he can go outside He is still to young to be out in this cold.
    ewww liver! Well on the mat is better then everywhere else. Atleast once its warm enough it will be much easier to transition him to outside since he is already partially trained.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

what a cutie, is he a boxer?

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    Okay, so we had our big expense the end of last month. No biggie- we budgeted for him.

Here he is:

Attachment 161375

But seriously- this puppy is going to make me poor just by his refusal to get the potty training thing down. I just had to send my DH to the store to get more paper towel. (I made re-usable snap towels that I use instead of paper normally, but I just don't want to use them for his business!)

On the flip side- My DS is VERY proud of HIS new puppy. I guess that can't be budgeted for !
    hollyquaiscer and macw1960 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

used a box of pudding up today I didnt' know I had (lol), chicken breast pkgs. x 2 with homemade gravy and minute rice.

Already have my grocery list underway for Saturday's shopping trip......DOn't you love it when you get home from grocery shopping and say I forgot to put that on the list....darn.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    what a cutie, is he a boxer?
    Yes he is- A german boxer. And we love him- until I have a paper towel in my hand LOL!
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Happens all the time. My daughter loves using straws and I've forgotten to buy them for 2 weeks now lol

used a box of pudding up today I didnt' know I had (lol), chicken breast pkgs. x 2 with homemade gravy and minute rice.

Already have my grocery list underway for Saturday's shopping trip......DOn't you love it when you get home from grocery shopping and say I forgot to put that on the list....darn.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Made chicken stock from some whole chickens I bought on sale this weekend. Mmmm homemade soup, here I come!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My 9 year old son said to me this am as he reached for the last 2 chocolate chips cookies that I made on Sunday, I can't wait for this week's frugal February to end we are almost of of Chocolate chips cookies (laugh).

I made 3 dozen chocolate chips cookies on Sunday along with 2 dozen blackberry oatmeal and there are 2 choc. chip cookies left and I have 1 dozen blackberry oatmeal left.....I guess I know which are the favs. note to self for this weekends baking (lol).

I'm definately using up lots of items in our stockpile...making notes of grocery items req'd as I go through daily.

Amazing...I plan to continue you this challenge into the next several months, need to pay off LOC which has crept over the last few months with dh's WSIB getting cut back with his retraining having been completed (sigh), they cut him back $2400.00 dollars a month - insanity at it's best...without notice to boot.

I mean how do you re-coop this in such a short amount of times, when you cannot cut anything out of your budget as they are necessities of life???
    hollyquaiscer and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

How is everyone today? The boxer pup is sooo adorable. I love boxers. I would never have the energy it takes to have one, but they are one of my favorite breeds. So very loyal and loving.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

So far this month I have only spent $1.27 I put together a ton of coupons and went off shopping yesterday and got most of what I need to help me use up the contents of the freezer. We are out of milk and water so today I actually have to spend money
    aussie, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Okay, so unfortunately I had not PLANNED to do frugal February - and then my husband got laid off indefinitely, effective February 1st. SO, the first few days of February have had more expenditures than usual for us to make sure we have enough baby items and food to get by until his EI comes through in a few weeks. I am returning to work effective this coming Monday to try to make up the difference, so we have to switch me three month old from near exclusive breastfeeding to near exclusive bottle feeding, on short notice. This means stocking up on bottlefeeding supplies and formula.

We have already spent about $200 on groceries/stockpile, PLUS some non necessities since Feb 1st (including a birthday party gift, for example). Yuck. Part of it is my own fault, because this is our third lay-off in less than three years, and I was already on maternity leave - so my reaction to the sudden and unexpected layoff was mad panic and obsessive need to hoard food and supplies. Today, however, I am going to attempt homemade pizza pockets to minimize my lunch expenditures on my return to work next week. Wish me luck!

On the bright side, I discovered Sally's Cereals at Walmart, a nice affordable alternative to brand name cereals and SOOOO yummy (yummy enough that I called the company to tell them how much I loved it!) which cuts down costs for my work breakfasts, and I also forced myself to buy a 4L plastic jug of milk instead of two 2L cartons, as it is 30+ cents cheaper than the cheapest price on two x 2L cartons I can find, and we go through a LOT of milk. I have myself convinced it is gross in a plastic jug and has a funny taste, but I have committed myself to using the jug milk instead of carton milk at LEAST for cereal, if not for drinking.

I almost killed my freezer stockpile - I got stress out, and when I stress, I clean like a madwoman. Well, part of my cleaning involved moving the freezer - which got unplugged, and I didn't notice. Thank goodness my husband noticed the next day, and only the top items were starting to defrost, but still cold, so we went ahead and refroze them... seemed fine, and my Dad thought so too.

I also started a spreadsheet so I can track three columns 'Grocery/stockpile', 'necessities and bills' and 'unnecessary/other' ... to see what we spend in February, and my husband is helping me take an inventory of all of our food in freezers, fridge and cupboards so we can put it in a spread sheet, add and subtract as appropriate, and plan meals and grocery purchases more appropriately and conservatively.

I am just terrified about the whole damn thing, as another lay off was the last thing we needed or expected, and we still aren't out of the hole from the last two layoffs and my maternity leave waiting period. I love living in a small town most of the time - but not when the job market tanks. My husband is an experienced tradesman ion a couple of trades, but the jobs just aren't there. I am in business development, so my job is perhaps a little more stable - I am lucky I can go back to work early and that there wasn't someone on contract in my position or anything to fill the void while I was away!

So yeah, frugal February means a whole lot more now than it did a week ago!
    Last edited by bdkmosher; Wed, Feb 6th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Well, you have inspired me to clean my cupboards and clean up my stockpile today to see what is actually there. I have already started and found somethings that I need to use up quickly and what I figure I won't use in time I will donate.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bdkmosher View Post
    Okay, so unfortunately I had not PLANNED to do frugal February - and then my husband got laid off indefinitely, effective February 1st. SO, the first few days of February have had more expenditures than usual for us to make sure we have enough baby items and food to get by until his EI comes through in a few weeks. I am returning to work effective this coming Monday to try to make up the difference, so we have to switch me three month old from near exclusive breastfeeding to near exclusive bottle feeding, on short notice. This means stocking up on bottlefeeding supplies and formula.

We have already spent about $200 on groceries/stockpile, PLUS some non necessities since Feb 1st (including a birthday party gift, for example). Yuck. Part of it is my own fault, because this is our third lay-off in less than three years, and I was already on maternity leave - so my reaction to the sudden and unexpected layoff was mad panic and obsessive need to hoard food and supplies. Today, however, I am going to attempt homemade pizza pockets to minimize my lunch expenditures on my return to work next week. Wish me luck!

On the bright side, I discovered Sally's Cereals at Walmart, a nice affordable alternative to brand name cereals and SOOOO yummy (yummy enough that I called the company to tell them how much I loved it!) which cuts down costs for my work breakfasts, and I also forced myself to buy a 4L plastic jug of milk instead of two 2L cartons, as it is 30+ cents cheaper than the cheapest price on two x 2L cartons I can find, and we go through a LOT of milk. I have myself convinced it is gross in a plastic jug and has a funny taste, but I have committed myself to using the jug milk instead of carton milk at LEAST for cereal, if not for drinking.

I almost killed my freezer stockpile - I got stress out, and when I stress, I clean like a madwoman. Well, part of my cleaning involved moving the freezer - which got unplugged, and I didn't notice. Thank goodness my husband noticed the next day, and only the top items were starting to defrost, but still cold, so we went ahead and refroze them... seemed fine, and my Dad thought so too.

I also started a spreadsheet so I can track three columns 'Grocery/stockpile', 'necessities and bills' and 'unnecessary/other' ... to see what we spend in February, and my husband is helping me take an inventory of all of our food in freezers, fridge and cupboards so we can put it in a spread sheet, add and subtract as appropriate, and plan meals and grocery purchases more appropriately and conservatively.

I am just terrified about the whole damn thing, as another lay off was the last thing we needed or expected, and we still aren't out of the hole from the last two layoffs and my maternity leave waiting period. I love living in a small town most of the time - but not when the job market tanks. My husband is an experienced tradesman ion a couple of trades, but the jobs just aren't there. I am in business development, so my job is perhaps a little more stable - I am lucky I can go back to work early and that there wasn't someone on contract in my position or anything to fill the void while I was away!

Hopefully, things will pick up really quickly for both of you and maybe DH will find a job faster than you expect. Good luck on staring back to work on Monday and have fun making your pizza pockets.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck couponclippercaitie's Avatar
    Trading Score
    171 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bdkmosher View Post

Sorry to hear about your situation, I read a little but about it on another thread too. But just a FYI, you're legally allowed to go back whenever you want, whether or not they hired someone else on contract.

Are you able to pump a little to supplement? (I know this is a lot of work, but it might be worth it). My MIL recently went back to work after a maternity leave (she just had a baby also) and she pumps on her breaks, I know it's no ideal, but it saves a lot of money and her supply, that way she can still feed almost exclusively on weekends also.

I also find since I stopped breastfeeding, that the cheapest place (even without coupons) to buy formula is Kijiji. Lots of people get those free mail-out cans from companies and sell them for $5 or switch brands and sell their excess unopened stuff. Just some tips!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

New here and just jumping in I hope noone minds!

I was very frugal, but then got away from it somewhat, but now that our situation has changed a little (I'm expanding an online business to include a local office and until that gets off the ground, things will be tight, we also need to buy a new vehicle)- so I'm really cracking down on it!

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information