User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38
  1. #16
    Snoochie Boochies dawnikus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    956
    Likes Received
    2
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    We may have all those things (welfare, soup kitchens etc) however not everyone here uses those for whatever reasons including Pride. There are homeless children & adults in Canada, living in cardboard boxes, burnt out building and wherever else they can stay until they are found and are forced to move on. There are only so many rooms available in shelters and what happens to the rest? Just because Canada doesn't broadcast it on television, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    Why don't you ask the 3rd world government why they don't take care of "their own"? There are 3rd world countries that sell lottery tickets, do you honestly think that money is going back into the community? going to help those who cant help themselves? Nope, it is not. I do think outside my own walls, but inside Canada! I take pride in being able to help my fellow Canadians first over the needs of another country.

    You have your views, I have researched mine.

  2. #17
    bcteagirl
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shandadee View Post
    We have all gotten so accustom to our RICH life (and I think every Canadian is wealthy, no matter if your on welfare or make $3500000 a year) that it seems we have lost touch with what really counts. The basics of life, which so many are deprived of

    I really do agree with what you say Shandadee, it is very easy to forget how lucky we are over here... it only takes a little research to realize how well even those less well off in Canada have it. The worst off in *any* society are just as deserving of love and protection. I try to find a balance... it is easy to help those far away and forget about your neighbour, and it is easy to do the opposite... I think we need to try to help both to the best of your ability... the us vs. others attitude about who people will and will not help is chillingly American to me. But thats just my opinion.

  3. #18
    Smart Canuck StarDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,497
    Likes Received
    70
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)



    i am also going to sound really heartless, but if they ( people in 3rd world countries) don't have the means to support themselve why would they do a thing like bringing a child to a world of hunger and everything else that goes on over. I am one whos not going to support them bringing kids in to the work just to work that is so wrong. I don't remeber who said this but yes i also believe that we need to help our people here first before we are sending 30 dollars a month to somewhere where we don't even know if the person in the pictures we receive are ACTUALLY getting the money or If it's going to the big wigs sitting up in there offices doing nothing!

  4. #19
    bcteagirl
    Guest
    From what I have heard from my friends who went over to volunteer with the aids crisis, many of the girls are raped (they believe raping a virgin cures AIDS... ew) or forced into prostitution to support their families... It is easy to forget that not everyone has the same rights and freedoms we do.

    If you donate through a reputable charity, you do not really have to worry about where your money is going, they will be very transparent.

    however, I do agree that supporting locally is important, I am not disagreeing with that.

  5. #20
    Junior Canuck shandadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alberta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    444
    Likes Received
    1
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by StarDancer View Post
    i am also going to sound really heartless, but if they ( people in 3rd world countries) don't have the means to support themselve why would they do a thing like bringing a child to a world of hunger and everything else that goes on over. I am one whos not going to support them bringing kids in to the work just to work that is so wrong. I don't remeber who said this but yes i also believe that we need to help our people here first before we are sending 30 dollars a month to somewhere where we don't even know if the person in the pictures we receive are ACTUALLY getting the money or If it's going to the big wigs sitting up in there offices doing nothing!
    Everyone has the right to a child. Thinking that everyone one should stop having kids is a childish thought. Just because their poor dosn't mean they cant LOVE their child.
    I sponser thru worldvision.ca
    and have total faith in their mission. I personally know people who have gone to places where there work is being done, and yes it absoultly makes a difference. I also agree that some companys may not be a legit as others. I do small things for our community as well, and Im not saying helping fellow Canadians is wrong. But dont bash me because I feel love and sadness for all the children of the world. If every one thought a closed minded as you, there wouldnt be a world vision. With over 300000 Canadian sponsers, it is the most reputable overseas orginazation there is.

  6. #21
    cndlady
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StarDancer View Post
    somewhere where we don't even know if the person in the pictures we receive are ACTUALLY getting the money or If it's going to the big wigs sitting up in there offices doing nothing!
    My family all donates to worldvision and we all sponsor a child overseas.
    We do this instead of giving birthday and christmas gifts to each other. There are 5 of us and we save a fair bit of money by not giving each other gifts. I figure a child needs this more than I do.

    I know a lady who actually went and visited her sponsored child. And yes he was the same little boy in the picture, and his village really appreciated what was being done for them.

    When my one sisters sponsor family came into a position where the help was not needed any more worldvision wrote and told her this. They asked her if she would like to sponsor another child or if she would like to have her sponsorship stopped (she chose another child).

    I also donate to the SPCA, womens shelter, ducks unlimited, manitoba wildlife, heart and stroke, cancer society, our local fire fighters and any other cause that appears at my door.

    My business (which I own) supports the red cross, sally ann, Ducks Unlimited, Greenwings, and the legion.
    WE also donate to things like kids hockey, kids curling, men's and ladies local bonspiel, we co-sponsor a children's fishing derby (40 kids and they all get a prize) and several other donations we get asked for during the course of the year

  7. #22
    Smart Canuck StarDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,497
    Likes Received
    70
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)



    i wasn't saying that there not intitled to have kids. But what i am saying is that they shouldn't have kids until they can support them and if thats not possible than they shouldn't have kids. That would be mean.

    I'm sorry for starting this thread i was didn't think it was going to get like this. This is kinda like the abortion thread it's a touchy subject and everyone has very different view on charity and who they do and do not give too! I respect everyones opinions and i'm sorry if this thread has affended anyone!

  8. #23
    Prue
    Guest
    I think that the important thing is that if you are in a position to help, you do. Where you choose to help is your choice; I think that any charity can use the assistance and so no matter where you choose to donate it is going to a good cause (assuming a reputable organization of course). When different people choose to help different organizations, it allows various charities to remain in operation and to continue helping diverse problems & populations.

  9. #24
    Junior Canuck shandadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alberta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    444
    Likes Received
    1
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by Prue7979 View Post
    I think that the important thing is that if you are in a position to help, you do. Where you choose to help is your choice; I think that any charity can use the assistance and so no matter where you choose to donate it is going to a good cause (assuming a reputable organization of course). When different people choose to help different organizations, it allows various charities remain in operation and to continue helping diverse problems & populations.
    Well said Prue7979, reminded me of Jerrys Springers "final thought" .

  10. #25
    Prue
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shandadee View Post
    Well said Prue7979, reminded me of Jerrys Springers "final thought" .

    Thanks!

  11. #26
    Snoochie Boochies dawnikus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    956
    Likes Received
    2
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by shandadee View Post
    Everyone has the right to a child. Thinking that everyone one should stop having kids is a childish thought. Just because their poor dosn't mean they cant LOVE their child.
    I sponser thru worldvision.ca
    and have total faith in their mission. I personally know people who have gone to places where there work is being done, and yes it absoultly makes a difference. I also agree that some companys may not be a legit as others. I do small things for our community as well, and Im not saying helping fellow Canadians is wrong. But dont bash me because I feel love and sadness for all the children of the world. If every one thought a closed minded as you, there wouldnt be a world vision. With over 300000 Canadian sponsers, it is the most reputable overseas orginazation there is.
    One or two children are fine, however you get some families (and I have seen this on worldvision shows) where there is one child taking care of their 3 to 4 other siblings because either one or both parents have died. That really isnt just having one child and yes, if you are that poor where you have to dig thru garbage to find the necessities to get by then no, you should not be having children, I don't care where in the world you live. Thats cool that you enjoy sending your money to where its needed most, as do I. However don't tell me that I am not living outside my walls. I have been there and done that and seen many things in my life that I hope my children never have to experience. Also, I am not sure if that "don't bash me" was intended for me or not, however *I* did no such thing. What I said was truthful and researched.

    Now, lets drop the touchy subject because no one is wrong on it and start freebie hunting!

    Dawn

  12. #27
    Junior Canuck shandadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alberta
    Age
    31
    Posts
    444
    Likes Received
    1
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)



    Quote Originally Posted by dawnikus View Post
    One or two children are fine, however you get some families (and I have seen this on worldvision shows) where there is one child taking care of their 3 to 4 other siblings because either one or both parents have died. That really isnt just having one child and yes, if you are that poor where you have to dig thru garbage to find the necessities to get by then no, you should not be having children, I don't care where in the world you live. Thats cool that you enjoy sending your money to where its needed most, as do I. However don't tell me that I am not living outside my walls. I have been there and done that and seen many things in my life that I hope my children never have to experience. Also, I am not sure if that "don't bash me" was intended for me or not, however *I* did no such thing. What I said was truthful and researched.

    Now, lets drop the touchy subject because no one is wrong on it and start freebie hunting!

    Dawn
    No it was not aimed at you, and I never said you wernt living outside your walls, what i said was "I think its time to start thinking outside our walls". "Our" meaning Canadians, so dont get so personal.

    As prue7979 said,

    "I think that the important thing is that if you are in a position to help, you do. Where you choose to help is your choice; I think that any charity can use the assistance and so no matter where you choose to donate it is going to a good cause (assuming a reputable organization of course). When different people choose to help different organizations, it allows various charities remain in operation and to continue helping diverse problems & populations."

    that I will agree with!

  13. #28
    CaLoonie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    138
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)


    It could be nothing new but I am very excited about lending money to Kiva, wander how many people from this forum is doing this too. http://kiva.org/app.php

  14. #29
    bcteagirl
    Guest
    wonder

  15. #30
    CaLoonie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    138
    Likes Received
    0
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)


    Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •