User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Do your kids do chores?

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I don't have kids so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I mowed the lawn most weeks when I was a kid (over the age 12 on a riding lawnmower) and did small things like set the table and load the dishwasher too. We also did small things like make our beds etc. I also took out the garbage, did vacuum (although I hate it). I have two siblings who did chores too like gardening, laundry etc.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

chime away!

Quote Originally Posted by xox2010 View Post
    I don't have kids so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I mowed the lawn most weeks when I was a kid (over the age 12 on a riding lawnmower) and did small things like set the table and load the dishwasher too. We also did small things like make our beds etc. I also took out the garbage, did vacuum (although I hate it). I have two siblings who did chores too like gardening, laundry etc.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Don't have kids yet but when I was a kid my parents gave us chores to do that we had to complete and we got an allowance. If we did not complete our chores we got less money that week. They wanted to teach us 1. that you have to earn $ it is not just given to you for free 2. how to budget for things we really wanted and 3. that there is a consequence if you do not complete your chores (or work in the real world).
    TWO 20% KONG PRODUCT AVAILABLE FOR TRADE<dl style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-size: 14px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; width: 881px; clear: both; "></dl>

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Oh I should add, we did not get an allowance growing up. My mom would buy us the odd treat instead (chocolate bar etc)...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Growing up, me and brother sold newspapers at Krogers all day Saturday and mowed lawns for money on other days, and I am sort of ashamed to admit, me and brother also were paid by kids to scare off bullies. Also rebuilt garbage motor-cross bikes and sold them... well he did, I just took a cut.

I'm grateful out father instilled that kind of work ethic in us at a young age. Chores are good!

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

My kiddo is too young for chores at this point (6 weeks old). The first chores will likely be coming before long. Once he is old enough to understand basic commands and words and be able to pick up and move objects, he will be responsible for helping to put away his toys.

When I was a kid, our very first childhood chores were given to us under age 2. They were based on games we played and what we knew (ability to match objects, understand basic patterns, etc., and mimicing adult actions). Specifically, they included putting away our toys; matching clean socks to help with the wash, putting things into piles and sorting (tidying piles of magazines, helping to put away groceries); and also sweeping the floors (we always had toy brooms as kids that could do the real job, so sweeping was something we enjoyed). I plan to do the same with my little guy

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

My DD is 2, but she helps bring her dirty plate after meals to the kitchen, puts toys away, helps put her folded clothes in her dresser, things like that. No interest in folding or matching socks, although I can't blame her, I hate that too!

When she's older, she won't get an allowance. Neither my DH or I did, and like us she will learn how to save our birthday/christmas money to buy the things she wants, we will provide the things she needs. We're all members of the family and we all pitch in to have a nice clean house.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My children are still really small, but we don't and won't give them an allowance. I think that's not a wise way to teach them about money.
    When they get a bit older (around 8) they'll have chickens and sell the eggs or so. Something that is their business and their responsibility
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I have a 27 month old and I expect him to help clean up his toys at the end of the day and put his dishes in the sink after he finishes eating. They do this at the daycare, so I continue it at home. I think that giving age-appropriate tasks to a child helps them understand that there are responsibilities to being part of a family unit.

As for allowance, I am not at that point yet; however, when we were kids, my dad always gave us an allowance based on our grades and how well we did our assigned chores. We got a raise every 6 months based on our performance. I think I will implement this strategy when I get to that point.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

DS will be 3 next month but he helps.
    I started by doing the chores in front of him and asking him to come and help. I only had to ask for help once, now everytime he sees me doing the chores, he will insist on helping, like taking the clean clothes from the clothing rack and putting them in the laundry basket, swiffer the surface, put his toys away. He doesn't do them perfectly but it's a good start for a 2yr old.
    Once he finished eating and I told him to put his plate in the sink. Since then, most of the time will do this. If I'm doing the dishes and he brings the dirty plate over, he will say "all done mommy, thank you".
    They do a great job at his daycare in encouraging the kids to tidy-up. Now my little guy helps the teachers put each plate on the table for lunch time.
    Anything that I see he can do, I'll ask him and he will glady do them. Even shoveling. We give him a toy shovel and he will do the same.
    Most of the time he's not really "helping" but it's the idea of helping and getting him into the habit that counts. Of course with time, he will have to learn to do them properly.

I don't plan on giving allowances when he's older. DH and I didn't when we were younger. We saved our money that we received as gifts for birthdays etc or asked our parents if we needed something (sometimes they'll refuse based on what we asked). I plan on doing the same with DS.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

DD is two and likes the baby swiffer AKA I took the extensions off the swiffer handle and now it is 1 foot and a bit tall

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

we always received an allowance when I was younger. Did I get it for free, no. I had to do chores for it, and if they weren't done right I didn't get an allowance.

I don't see the problem with giving kids an allowance. Giving them one for doing absolutely nothing, then no.
    But earning my allowance taught me alot about budgeting and handling money.
    jasperandchar and vesper like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I do not ever remember getting an allowance, but my Dad's family owns a company so we were "working" there for our money even at a young age. Things like stocking shelves after hours, spreading paper, making samples and various other tasks. Although we were "working" for our money we did not have full access to this money. In our house the girls saved there money we always wanted some tucked away but the boys if they had $2 they had to spend it, it was burning a hole in their pocket and could not save money. Actually it was good if they only spent the $2 they had as they would try to push there luck and over spend and see if someone would give them the difference. For this year our money was broken up we would get so much to spend, so much had to go into savings and so much had to go towards our education. I really think allowances and money all depends on the children involved and even than the out come will be different depending on the child. My bros were almost always broke and needed to borrow money until we got paid and were usually asking me and my sis for money because we always had some tucked away.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

DS will be two in about a month.
    I like to keep a tidy house so I have been on him about keeping things clean for a while now.
    If he's playing with toy(s) and decides he wants to move onto something else, I politely ask him to put away the other toy(s) before bringing out something new.

Everyday we have the same cleaning routine, since DH is terrible at leaving clothes and socks laying around the house DS goes around, picks up everything and puts it in the hamper. He helps clear the floors of the room before vaccuming and afterwards uses the swiffer duster to dust everything and anything he see's (within reach). Fills the dog food dish (food only, the water dish is far too messy a job for him. lol), he also puts his dishes in the sink and wipes off the table once he's finished eating. I see the effects of spoiled children far too much in my own family (cousins, younger siblings etc) and I am disgusted by the way these kids act. When I was younger I did literally everything, I didn't have a father and my mother was off partying and doing whatever the heck else so I was head of the household. I went to school, worked part time and managed a household! Getting my younger siblings to listen to me was impossible, so they had less responsibilities and you can tell by the way they are now. Piggies living in pig sties and horrid attitudes to boot!!

When DS is old enough, he will get an allowance. I think it would be great for him to have his own money that he worked for!

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

My boys are 5 and 3. They are expected to help keep their rooms tidy (5 year old has to put his laundry in the hamper as well) and pick up their toys. They are also responsible for putting their dirty dishes in the sink. We'll be adding more chores soon (honestly I am bad at doing chores too lol)
    Our oldest has been collecting any change he finds to save up for new Skylander toys, so we told him we would sit down and write a list of extra chores he could do to earn money (but he has to keep up with his non-paying chores too). His eyes lit up "you're going to PAY me??" lol

When I was a teenager, my sister and I each got $20 a month allowances but we didn't have to earn it. I feel bad but I was horrible about doing chores...I think (a) because the only incentive to doing chores was to avoid being yelled at and (b) we never had a list of what needed to be done, it was just "if you see it needs doing, do it" and well what teenager notices those things lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information