User Tag List

Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

SO I had the laundry all ready to be hung outside and then the stupid scaffolding which has been there for over 1 year now but who's counting is in the friggin' way, If the snow would melt in record speed I wouldn't be so upset (mother nature).

I love love the smell of laundry hung outside and now I'm kinda pissed off about the stupid scaffolding and not being able to dry the sheets outside. Dh got an ear-load from me and has agreed to finish the trim on the window which is why the dam thing is there in the first place FOR OVER A YEAR and then has promised take down all the scaffolding except the last one which is covered in ice/snow mix this friggin week.....

macw1960, lecale and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

She will know everything that is going, depending on what happens with the summer schedule at work this year she may have to run the yard sale if I am working **fingers crossed my name is not on the Saturday schedule** Really really hoping I am not working weekends this year, I have been trying to get off the weekend schedule for about 3 years now.
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    Ladies who make laundry soap: Does it smell fresh? That is my only concern lol. Maybe superficial of me but I love the smell of fresh, clean laundry and I have switched from Tide to Gain....or whatever is cheaper. I haven't experimented too much with laundry because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    I have been using it as a rinse aid for my laundry when it has been really dry. The vinegar combined with the dryer balls drastically reduced the static cling. DH has a couple pair of pants that are prone to static cling. But normally, I don't really use it. Don't need to...

Caseythegoalie- the laundry soap that I use doesn't have much of a scent at all... which is why I like it. We are a "smell-less" home. You can make your own dryer sheets with "smell" in them. If you really need fragrance in the washing machine, you can make your own laundry "crystals". It is just a mix of 1c epsom salt or course salt and ~ 10+ drops of essential oils.
    I bought some essential oils to put in our dishwasher detergent and when I make laundry detergent and to scent the dryer balls. That way I can scent it with what I want and how much. I bought lavender, lemon and orange from well.ca

I wanted to make my own dryer balls but I couldn't find anywhere in town that sold 100% wool yarn! I scored a fantastic deal on buddha bunz. But I wouldn't recommend them and won't do business with them again. (The dryer balls are great, but dealing with the company was not)
    Last edited by Insane; Sat, Mar 9th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

I would love to try the dryer balls, however we are allergic to wool, and the plastic balls don't work as well as those felt balls.
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Groceries for the week done. $223 and some change. I wanted to be under $200 but no luck. I made a huge pot of spagetti sauce last night (using beef I bought and froze last week). Made 5 batches that I froze. This week..

Sunday: Quesidillas (these were a huge hit last time using the homemade tortillas.)
    Monday: 3 cheese turkey pasta (using frozen leftover turkey from last week)
    Tuesday: Unstuffed shells (a meal I make double of and freeze)
    Wedneday: Ham in slow cooker
    Thursday: Shepherd's pie
    Friday:Meatballs
    Saturday: Turkey poutine (when we went to Ottawa at christmas we brought home 8kg of cheese curds-no that's not a typo! Going to be sad when they are all gone)

Lunches: Sunday: Pigs in a blanket (http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/health...s-in-a-blanket) First time trying this so we shall see. If it works well, I could freeze them I bet
    Saturday: Hummus and pitas (scored some Tahinini on sale today too!)

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Now see that's more like what I spend too...

Looking at your list I can see why...we eat alot of similar things except for:
    Thursday: Shepherd's pie and Saturday: Hummus and pitas
    We love pitas just Not hummus.
    Good meal plan... we can have dinner with you this week. lol
    Insane, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Just an idea about those wool dryer balls....

If it is hard to find 100% wool an old/second hand wool sweater will do. You can cut and unravel the wool and wind it into a ball as well. It doesn't matter if it is a bunch of little threads, or all one thread- they will felt together and not unravel. Just tuck/weave the surface ends into the ball.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matty's mom View Post
    Just an idea about those wool dryer balls....

If it is hard to find 100% wool an old/second hand wool sweater will do. You can cut and unravel the wool and wind it into a ball as well. It doesn't matter if it is a bunch of little threads, or all one thread- they will felt together and not unravel. Just tuck/weave the surface ends into the ball.
    That's a great idea. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one at the Salvation Army!

Did you find the dryer balls cut your dry time? I'm not finding that much of a difference so far.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    Now see that's more like what I spend too...

Looking at your list I can see why...we eat alot of similar things except for:
    Thursday: Shepherd's pie and Saturday: Hummus and pitas
    We love pitas just Not hummus.
    Good meal plan... we can have dinner with you this week. lol
    It would be a far commute to the NWT to come for dinner!

I started making my own pitas too. (http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homema...eat-pita-bread) I had to experiment for a LONG time to get the hummus recipe right. Then a lebanese friend told me that the PC organic chick peas make the best hummus. Sure enough...much better. By making it myself I can add as much or as little garlic as we want (or anything else!)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

jasperandchar thanks for the welcome as far as the bank insurance goes we cant get that i am on a pension and when dh had surgery on his shoulder many years ago he has a very small pension also that's what happens when you get old it all catch's up to you lol dh is a seasonal worker for our local feed store drives truck for them,works in the mill jack of all trades there, this isn't a work related injury for the company just wear and tear on his body he is 57 i am 47 thanks for the info and trying

for cleaning toilet"s try sprinkling baking soda in toilet and some vinegar let set and scrub and flush l use this alot also and cleans very good.

baked chicken-i use chicken breast i put mayonnaise on them and sprinkle some grated cheese and bake at 350 for 45 to 1 hr very moist and good
    Last edited by tammy8701; Sat, Mar 9th, 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tammy8701 View Post

baked chicken-i use chicken breast i put mayonnaise on them and sprinkle some grated cheese and bake at 350 for 45 to 1 hr very moist and good
    I love mayo to make nuggets (both chicken and fish) but I have never thought of roasting with it! DUUUHHHH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post

I started making my own pitas too. (http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homema...eat-pita-bread) I had to experiment for a LONG time to get the hummus recipe right. Then a lebanese friend told me that the PC organic chick peas make the best hummus. Sure enough...much better. By making it myself I can add as much or as little garlic as we want (or anything else!)
    Popping the peel off the chickpeas also makes a HUGE difference. It is however, a rather mind numbing task. If the PC organic chick peas eliminate this step, I AM SOLD!

Did you find the dryer balls cut your dry time? I'm not finding that much of a difference so far.
    I did, more so in the bulky stuff, like towels etc.

So, all this talk about dishwasher detergent and my dishwasher died. It is only 1 1/2 old and has already been repaired one time before on warrantee. Now- not on warrantee. I don't think it has ever worked properly. To fix or not to fix... I will at least get a quote. (If DH can't fix it.) WHAT A PAIN!

As for Lent- I kinda broke down today... I am not to by anything that isn't necessary- I bought a chocolate bar. Now, I could, if I wanted to, TRY to justify the $2 (It was a good one!). But I won't. Sigh! I LOVE chocolate.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Thanks for this... I will try it this week...I will be doing some baking (3 day).... yes that's the plan 3 of our 5 days we will be baking. You know who requested this right?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 10:48 AM.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    I know right.... Wish I could get my groceries to even double that.
    There is only 2 of us, 3 cats and a budgie here and only 1 working. So I have to be really frugal...(I really dislike the word cheap).

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

That is amazing, for 2 of us I aim for $50 a week. Last week I went over but we stocked up on backing supplies, hoping to be under this week. Decided not to leave the house so I will do my shopping Monday after work.

I will use the word cheap all the time and it really drives my dad insane when I call myself cheap. But I must admit there are times I am frugal and times I am just cheap. I really really dislike spending money and even after I do I am one of those people that keeps all their receipts and the tag on everything just in case I need to return it. Maybe this is why I know love grocery shopping, I do not regret spending that money now that we have a set budget.

I am going to sit and stare at my bank account to see how much money I will be comfortable spending for my bday and even than I know I will regret it. It is a horrible circle, hmmmm maybe this is why my bday now stresses me out because it isn't the getting older thing.

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    There is only 2 of us, 3 cats and a budgie here and only 1 working. So I have to be really frugal...(I really dislike the word cheap).
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sat, Mar 9th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
    jasperandchar likes this.

Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread Information