User Tag List

Page 37 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

hello I'm back!
    looking forward to catching up
    Insane, macw1960, lecale and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

There has been a lot of chatter today!
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

WOW lots of catching up to do today. Normally I sneak on a work but was so busy working on our big spring promotion I never made it on. Love the idea of homemade yogurt, I am so missing yogurt right now, no one has had a good sale on yogurt recently. I love love love greek yogurt.

Found tons of recipes on Pinterest I wanna try.

Question for tonight - Anyone here eat Quinoa, my step mom loves it and serves it almost ever time I am over so I picked up a bag but am looking for new recipes to try.

I want to try one I found on pinterest they look like Dole Live Right Bites but are made from Quinoa and have apples in them (hoping to find some apples on clearance this weekend when I go shopping).
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

here is a few recipes i found
    7up biscuits
    2 cups self rising flour
    1/4 cup butter (I use olive oil)
    1/2 cup sour cream (I used yogurt--it was vanilla that needed to be used)
    1/2 cup sprite/7 up/lemon flavored soda
    (To this I added 1/4 up grated cheese and put a little on top like the biscuits at Red Lobster)
    The biscuits are a little on the wet side--I plopped the dough in a 8" square baking dish and smoothed it out a bit--then just cut squares to eat.

Bake at 400 for 20 min. or until brown on the edges

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

2 ripe bananas (mashed)
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 package banana cream pudding and pie filling
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup oil
    4 eggs
    1 cup semi-sweet miniature chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees*
    grease 2 loaf pans (bottom and sides)

1. Mash the 2 ripe bananas with a fork
    2. Mix all ingredients (including the mashed bananas) except for the chocolate chips
    3. Stir in chocolate chips (the directions say to pour the batter into the greased pans before you stir in the chocolate chips, but I find it's easier just to mix them in the bowl with the batter. If you pour the batter in the pans first, just add 1/2 cup chips to each pan and stir)
    4. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes (If you are using a dark pan you may want to cut the heat back just a smudge.)
    Last edited by tammy8701; Wed, Mar 13th, 2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

same here with coffee, milk & sugar

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I just figured it costs me about $.60 for 6 cups of tea a day so in reality I would need 1/3 of my budget for beverages (milk, tea, sugar) so uh...maybe it is not that doable.
    macw1960 and lecale like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

too funny

yeah I am pretty picky. I am trying to break that habit. dh would eat a can of dog food if I ripped the label off though lol
    macw1960 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I'm also catching up can't believe we are on page 37 and it's on the 13th of March.....WOWZERS!

So today I was feeling much much better so I got up off my arse and

A massive pot of spaghetti sauce with meatballs (meatballs that I made last week)

A massive pot of soup (used up 1x bag of Europes Best Tuscan veggies (which I got for free a while back), 1x bag of Europes Best Sweet patatoes (which I got for free a while back), turkey carcass and chicken breast bones from earlier meals), raw noodles from Hamburger helper because my guys don't like the noodles in HH (weirdos), 2x 500ml of my canned tomatoes from last summer (which I got for free) so soup really only costed me my time (lol) and hydro = BONUS

So this is all in the fridge and tomorrow I will rewarm and put them in the pressure canner for later shelf usage....

I saw this weeks 3's brag/challenge and THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT - $1.75 per person per day

Here are my thoughts concerns,

1. Not healthy in my opinion

2. If you are going to have peanut butter toast, you would need to buy the Peanut, margarine/butter (my guys like this first then peanut butter), so that's 3 items right off to purchase or if you do cereal (you need to buy cereal & milk)

3. Would need to measure your portions out, ie. 1 c. of cereal to 1/2 c. milk, to make the groceries last the whole 7 days...eeek

4. It's hard enough to make a HEALTHY Supper for $1.00 a person let alone still have 2 meals (breakfast + lunch) and snacks for my 2 kids, I guess if I let them do the Breakfast Program (which is 3 days Mon, Wens & Friday) and get them to get snacks from the snack program at school....maybe this would be do-able......BUT I DON"T & WON"T do this.

5. I guess if you ate boiled eggs all week (3 meals a day) and didn't mind the burps & toots then you win the challenge (lol)

6. I really don't THINK it's POSSIBLE in my opinion
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Wed, Mar 13th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

love this thread and check in daily.
    So I had to share my most amazing find at Sobeys (oakville) on Sunday, i went for the ribs but they were all out. Then this huge bin of lean ground beef caught my eye $1.49 a pound for the mega packs. So for $10. I made three meat loafs and three minces (its basically the bottom of the shepards pie with shredded veg mixed in) 6 meals for 4 of us, woo hoo. then I made bread with my bread machine I was inspired to dig out of the closet last month.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This is just my opinion but for me the reason why I coupon and budget is so that we have what we need and can have a well balanced diet. Growing up my mom was a single mom and I do vaguely remember at times going without things (to be honest my mom never really let it show and it was not until I was older and she told me the things she would tell me did I really notice we were going without) but the reason I do a lot of the things I do money wise is so we can be comfortable and not have to worry whether we can buy groceries or pay the hydro bill.

I did not officially join Frugal February and am trying my best in March but know I have picked up a few things I did not "need" (I went on a bit of a shopping Spree at the dollar store the other day spent just under $15). In reality this is not something me and my household would participate in because as others have pointed out most of the meals we eat would come in over budget. The items we would have would not been a balanced diet. For us we use coupons to able to purchase better items (fresh veggies, meats) and more of these items.

I do enjoy the fact that through coupons and budgets I am now able to buy better items and eat better and do not think I would cut our budget any lower than we already have.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

that was a fantastic price on ground bean $1.49 fabulous find, sounds like you are ahead in the meal department which is a bonus, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    love this thread and check in daily.
    So I had to share my most amazing find at Sobeys (oakville) on Sunday, i went for the ribs but they were all out. Then this huge bin of lean ground beef caught my eye $1.49 a pound for the mega packs. So for $10. I made three meat loafs and three minces (its basically the bottom of the shepards pie with shredded veg mixed in) 6 meals for 4 of us, woo hoo. then I made bread with my bread machine I was inspired to dig out of the closet last month.
    macw1960, lecale and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

To be honest I can't speak for everyone when I say that we all have most likely purchased some things that we did not really need food wise or otherwise but that's life. Me & my family coupon for the same reasons as you and your mom and like most people on SC or Frugal February and this thread to spend less on groceries and household costs and the money saved goes towards something that you have a as a goal wether it be a new couch, paying off you credit cards, down payment for a house, etc.....whatever the hearts wants.

I think you are doing great and I don't think anyone can have a healthy diet on $1.75 per day in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    This is just my opinion but for me the reason why I coupon and budget is so that we have what we need and can have a well balanced diet. Growing up my mom was a single mom and I do vaguely remember at times going without things (to be honest my mom never really let it show and it was not until I was older and she told me the things she would tell me did I really notice we were going without) but the reason I do a lot of the things I do money wise is so we can be comfortable and not have to worry whether we can buy groceries or pay the hydro bill.

I did not officially join Frugal February and am trying my best in March but know I have picked up a few things I did not "need" (I went on a bit of a shopping Spree at the dollar store the other day spent just under $15). In reality this is not something me and my household would participate in because as others have pointed out most of the meals we eat would come in over budget. The items we would have would not been a balanced diet. For us we use coupons to able to purchase better items (fresh veggies, meats) and more of these items.

I do enjoy the fact that through coupons and budgets I am now able to buy better items and eat better and do not think I would cut our budget any lower than we already have.
    macw1960, lecale and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post

I think you are doing great and I don't think anyone can have a healthy diet on $1.75 per day in my opinion.
    I think that's the point. To illustrate how the billions of people around the world actually live. How lucky we are to live in Canada. It seems to me to be just a different version of the "30 hour famine" we used to do as teenagers.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

yeah I am pretty picky. I am trying to break that habit. dh would eat a can of dog food if I ripped the label off though lol
    LOL. Pretty sure I have some coupons for Iams ;-)
    Insane, macw1960, lecale and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    LOL. Pretty sure I have some coupons for Iams ;-)

Hahaha!! Tell him it's pâté!
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I am grateful everyday for the roof over our heads, the clothes on our backs and the food in our fridges, freezers, pantries and stockpiles. We are strong believers in not wasting food, i find it so sad that people go without food and/or clean drinking water here and abroad. We are lucky we live in Canada that is true compared to other countries but I think that the food bank are really hurting and many families are doing without still in 2013 which is absolutely crazy in my opinion, the government really needs to step up their game in my opinion and help those that need food & shelter. So many kids go to school hungry and then do not have lunches or snacks it's sad is all I can say.

I grew up poor, my parents went bankrupt when I was 7-8 and I lived with my grandma in her house and my parents lived in the other half of her house (duplex) with my brothers, however, I ate, slept and lived on my grandma's side of the house, I guess it just made sense but I was lucky. Not everyone has a grandma or parent they can lean on when they need the help. Times have changed and unfortunately not all in better ways in my opinion. Some times I think we take 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Good night all!

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I think that's the point. To illustrate how the billions of people around the world actually live. How lucky we are to live in Canada. It seems to me to be just a different version of the "30 hour famine" we used to do as teenagers.

Page 37 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information