User Tag List

Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

yougurt update

omg!!!! it works so well. yummy.

a few comments...
    if you are going to add sugar, add when you add the culture/starter. do not add later- it will be grainy.
    next time I am going to do 6 hours in the cooler. 3 worked. butI want to play with it a bit.

all in all a success.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

I haven't seen the $1.75/day thread in particular (I don't venture into the brag section very often), but I did want to say that it's not entirely impossible to pull this off if it's just one couple, but you do have to have discipline, have a somewhat sufficient enough stockpile already, and prepare yourself to stay away from junk food to pull it off.

The reason I say this is because this has been my challenge to myself starting in January this year, to healthily feed my husband and myself on $25/week.

Here's how I have been able to do it:

1. Breakfast - alternating between the following:

Cereal - we haven't bought a box of cereal out of pocket in years. We have Fibre 1 from the promotion last year, All Bran which we got at SDM last year for $1.99 (and used the $2 coupon) and of course the most recent Kellogg's FPCs. We haven't had a bag go bad as yet and always eat the ones closest to expiry, saving the newer ones for later.

Oatmeal - Just over a year ago there was a pepsi promotion where if you bought $20 worth of pepsi products at any of the Loblaws associated stores you got a $20 PC gift card in the mail. Essentially making the products free. In some cases even overage resulted, because it didn't matter if you used coupons on the products or not. We bought a lot of later expiry products and we are still going through them.

Pancake mix - Same Pepsi promotion from over a year ago.

Milk - Liberte had their FPC milk promotion a while back, friends helped me by letting me use their addresses. I was able to buy and freeze, we are still going through those boxes.

Coffee - Canadian Tire scratch card event a while back had $5 off at M&M's as the loser prize, it was no purchase necessary, so I rounded up my two brothers and friends to help me and together we used those $5 coupons to secure a good stockpile of coffee from M&M's priced at $5.99 each. I don't have to buy for a very long time.

Orange Juice - we buy only when it's a good deal, checkout 51 had an offer a few weeks back to save $2 off each box, we got two boxes then.

Yogurt - We are not big yogurt eaters, but when it's free we have them. Liberte offers frequent FPCs, and iogo a while back had those drinkable ones that came to $0.25 each after coupons.

Fruit - I consume a lot of fruit, I buy what's in season and it helps.

Breakfast therefore costs me about $5/week max for the two of us and it's usually just for fruit.

2. Lunch & Dinner - I batch cook, batch cook, batch cook, I try my best to make everything from scratch and freeze, freeze, freeze. We eat dinner at home and pack a lunch every day.

Meat - A turkey can go a long way, especially if you stockpiled a few during the $5 off Metro coupon for Irresistables products when the turkeys went on sale that week. Otherwise buy meat when it's on sale, I found that my local butcher has better prices that the grocery stores depending on what's on special at his store that week.

Fish - I found out during that Irresistables promotion that they have frozen basa, haddock, cod fillets for just over $5 each. Practically free with the coupon. We stocked up. At the local seafood place near where I live (Diana's Seafood -
    http://www.dianasseafood.com/ ) you can buy an entire fish and they will cut it up and clean it for you. I was able to buy an entire salmon for $36 and that was not on a sale day, you can easily get 12 big pieces of salmon for that price. Now that's $6/day for dinner for the two of us, but we eat fish once a week and savings in other parts of the budget help us to still stay within our budget.

Rice / Grains / Root vegetables / Veggies / Potatoes - I find rice can be found for cheap during the week leading up to chinese new year, we buy two bags then and that's enough for the rest of the year (if not longer). My RCSS loves to put plantains on their discounted produce shelf once the skin starts to turn a bit black, I don't think they have clued in as yet that this is a sure sign that the plaintain has ripened and is ready to be consumed. Also Bak Choy, perfectly good packs of this can often be seen on their discount shelf. Bak choy is great for steaming or soups. I've found peppers on that shelf too that are fine. I check the items carefully, most of them I wouldn't buy, but others are good finds. Potatoes, this can often be found for $1 / 10lbs or in the case of this current week $2 / 20lb bag.

Fruits & Nuts - Again, these can be expensive. Buy in season and remember that while nuts are an essential part of your diet you don't need a lot of it every day.

Finally, watch for coupons, because as you eat through your stockpile, you need to replenish.

Canadian Tire is having another scratch card event this week, find one that sells groceries if you can.

It's not impossible to have a $25 / week food budget, it's doable, but it's not always easy. I keep a tally of all my bills and on a YTD basis I am over budget altogether around $30 so far this year. I'm okay with that, it's a major improvement from what we were spending a year ago and we are eating way healthier because we cut out all the snack and junk food.

Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

made a big pot of pasta sauce last nite in crock pot turned on low after 7pm and i shut it off at 5:30 am this morning package up 5 containers, the only thing cooking it in the middle of night you wake you at 2am hungry lol, my chickens start to lay again getting 10 eggs a day now i sell enough to pay for there feed and we have enough for us to eat free, going on day 4 with no spend day,using a lot up in freezer made 4 containers of strawberry jam this week, have a great day everyone

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

frugal march... sigh. last night i dropped $295 at walmart on groceries. i decided to begin to make and bake as many of my meals and treats as possible. but to stock my cupboards up with baking supplies, meat... yada yada... cost way more thn i had budgeted. yikes. i have never ever spent that much on groceries in one trip O_o

im about to become super frugal. lol
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

No Frills has it on Sale starting tomorrow for $2 per lb.

Quote Originally Posted by amandabananda View Post
    I need to by some ground beef and stock up on homemade spagetti meat sauce to freeze. It's great when you're in a rush and need a quick healthy meal (whole wheat pasta and sauce has veggies snuck in )

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Yes. I'm doing the same thing...I keep adding because it's a good price or the coupon is expiring this month and there are some that I don't want to see go to waste so I'm trying to use them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Lisa View Post
    I have gotta stop looking at the flyers.... My grocery list is getting bigger and bigger... Is anyone else like this?
    P.S. *Anyone knows who has VH sauces on sale?

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

OMG....Is all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    frugal march... sigh. last night i dropped $295 at walmart on groceries. i decided to begin to make and bake as many of my meals and treats as possible. but to stock my cupboards up with baking supplies, meat... yada yada... cost way more thn i had budgeted. yikes. i have never ever spent that much on groceries in one trip O_o

Loves To Save SimplifiedMommyTips's Avatar
    Trading Score
    260 (100%)

wow the thread has gone this far, seems that everyone wants to live frugally as possible as we can.

We have been busy baking for five days now, made lots of snack for the kiddos and thank goodness that I was able to stocked up with some baking supplies. Its been five days without spending and I am planning to purchase some fruits that are on sale this week, don't see much fruit on sale for next week except for strawberries in NF.
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    OMG....Is all I have to say.
    i know. and of course my daughter was there and saw the total and yelled out $295!!! people around smiled. sigh. thanks jade, announce it to the world.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Krysta- watch the sales for baking supplies. sugar is often on sale at shoppers. and flour ect tends to go on sale near easter.
    equally. I know it take some time, but do the math for your baking. I can bake 3 dz choc chip cookies for about 1.35 . thats the same amount aprox that is in a bag of cookies for 2.99. big savings. and no chemicals.
    it is alot of intial outlay, but once you have your supplies, watch the sales , and stock then. you will save more money.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Welcome to the thread and so glad you are no longer a stalker (lol).

Share you thoughts, tips anything goes really

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post
    I've been stalking this thread for days now and I'm bookmarking it to stalk some more!! Love all the tips and tricks you ladies have posted
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvToUseCoupons View Post
    Hi All,
    Had my hair cut yesterday so spent big money even though I did end up getting a discount.
    Used the discount to get the kids a treat...Yeah I know....
    But more importantly.. how you look and feel?? Great!?! And given how often we get our hair cut- PRICELESS!!!
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    Krysta- watch the sales for baking supplies. sugar is often on sale at shoppers. and flour ect tends to go on sale near easter.
    equally. I know it take some time, but do the math for your baking. I can bake 3 dz choc chip cookies for about 1.35 . thats the same amount aprox that is in a bag of cookies for 2.99. big savings. and no chemicals.
    it is alot of intial outlay, but once you have your supplies, watch the sales , and stock then. you will save more money.
    I almost always by sugar @ Shoppers when I need it. With 1.99 sale plus the SDM points - it is a win/win. (I don't buy much else there now.)
    Just and FYI for those of you who may not have time to bake fully from scratch but want chemical free food. The OETKER mixes (oatmeal muffin mix, chocolate chip cookie mix and chocolate cake mix are on the Greenpeace green list - organic as far as no genetically engineered ingredients and safe to eat (no chemicals either). We really like the cookies so when Almost Perfect had them on sale for $.99- I stocked up. Have 2 pkgs left (They didn't last long... sigh!)
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

very inspirational Sunraven, smart cookie you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunraven View Post
    I haven't seen the $1.75/day thread in particular (I don't venture into the brag section very often), but I did want to say that it's not entirely impossible to pull this off if it's just one couple, but you do have to have discipline, have a somewhat sufficient enough stockpile already, and prepare yourself to stay away from junk food to pull it off.

The reason I say this is because this has been my challenge to myself starting in January this year, to healthily feed my husband and myself on $25/week.

Here's how I have been able to do it:

1. Breakfast - alternating between the following:

Cereal - we haven't bought a box of cereal out of pocket in years. We have Fibre 1 from the promotion last year, All Bran which we got at SDM last year for $1.99 (and used the $2 coupon) and of course the most recent Kellogg's FPCs. We haven't had a bag go bad as yet and always eat the ones closest to expiry, saving the newer ones for later.

Oatmeal - Just over a year ago there was a pepsi promotion where if you bought $20 worth of pepsi products at any of the Loblaws associated stores you got a $20 PC gift card in the mail. Essentially making the products free. In some cases even overage resulted, because it didn't matter if you used coupons on the products or not. We bought a lot of later expiry products and we are still going through them.

Pancake mix - Same Pepsi promotion from over a year ago.

Milk - Liberte had their FPC milk promotion a while back, friends helped me by letting me use their addresses. I was able to buy and freeze, we are still going through those boxes.

Coffee - Canadian Tire scratch card event a while back had $5 off at M&M's as the loser prize, it was no purchase necessary, so I rounded up my two brothers and friends to help me and together we used those $5 coupons to secure a good stockpile of coffee from M&M's priced at $5.99 each. I don't have to buy for a very long time.

Orange Juice - we buy only when it's a good deal, checkout 51 had an offer a few weeks back to save $2 off each box, we got two boxes then.

Yogurt - We are not big yogurt eaters, but when it's free we have them. Liberte offers frequent FPCs, and iogo a while back had those drinkable ones that came to $0.25 each after coupons.

Fruit - I consume a lot of fruit, I buy what's in season and it helps.

Breakfast therefore costs me about $5/week max for the two of us and it's usually just for fruit.

2. Lunch & Dinner - I batch cook, batch cook, batch cook, I try my best to make everything from scratch and freeze, freeze, freeze. We eat dinner at home and pack a lunch every day.

Meat - A turkey can go a long way, especially if you stockpiled a few during the $5 off Metro coupon for Irresistables products when the turkeys went on sale that week. Otherwise buy meat when it's on sale, I found that my local butcher has better prices that the grocery stores depending on what's on special at his store that week.

Fish - I found out during that Irresistables promotion that they have frozen basa, haddock, cod fillets for just over $5 each. Practically free with the coupon. We stocked up. At the local seafood place near where I live (Diana's Seafood -
    http://www.dianasseafood.com/ ) you can buy an entire fish and they will cut it up and clean it for you. I was able to buy an entire salmon for $36 and that was not on a sale day, you can easily get 12 big pieces of salmon for that price. Now that's $6/day for dinner for the two of us, but we eat fish once a week and savings in other parts of the budget help us to still stay within our budget.

Rice / Grains / Root vegetables / Veggies / Potatoes - I find rice can be found for cheap during the week leading up to chinese new year, we buy two bags then and that's enough for the rest of the year (if not longer). My RCSS loves to put plantains on their discounted produce shelf once the skin starts to turn a bit black, I don't think they have clued in as yet that this is a sure sign that the plaintain has ripened and is ready to be consumed. Also Bak Choy, perfectly good packs of this can often be seen on their discount shelf. Bak choy is great for steaming or soups. I've found peppers on that shelf too that are fine. I check the items carefully, most of them I wouldn't buy, but others are good finds. Potatoes, this can often be found for $1 / 10lbs or in the case of this current week $2 / 20lb bag.

Fruits & Nuts - Again, these can be expensive. Buy in season and remember that while nuts are an essential part of your diet you don't need a lot of it every day.

Finally, watch for coupons, because as you eat through your stockpile, you need to replenish.

Canadian Tire is having another scratch card event this week, find one that sells groceries if you can.

It's not impossible to have a $25 / week food budget, it's doable, but it's not always easy. I keep a tally of all my bills and on a YTD basis I am over budget altogether around $30 so far this year. I'm okay with that, it's a major improvement from what we were spending a year ago and we are eating way healthier because we cut out all the snack and junk food.

macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

krysta lynne it happens every once in a while but it does hurt the pocket book no doubt but also it depends on how many items you purchases and like you said it was baking supplies & meats which are so pricey anyways and also take into account the last time you did such a stock up it's maybe been quite a while and your stock/supplies at home maybe were so depleated if that is the case it makes perfect sense t me.

Here's to frugal beginings and not looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post

Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Mar 14th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information