User Tag List

Page 40 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    frugal march... sigh. last night i dropped $295 at walmart on groceries. i decided to begin to make and bake as many of my meals and treats as possible. but to stock my cupboards up with baking supplies, meat... yada yada... cost way more thn i had budgeted. yikes. i have never ever spent that much on groceries in one trip O_o

im about to become super frugal. lol

Big amount of cash to hand over but at least you are stocked up now.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I discovered that I still don't like cream of Wheat still. Did anybody like their free sample?
    jasperandchar likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    Krysta- watch the sales for baking supplies. sugar is often on sale at shoppers. and flour ect tends to go on sale near easter.
    equally. I know it take some time, but do the math for your baking. I can bake 3 dz choc chip cookies for about 1.35 . thats the same amount aprox that is in a bag of cookies for 2.99. big savings. and no chemicals.
    it is alot of intial outlay, but once you have your supplies, watch the sales , and stock then. you will save more money.
    i totally hear you thats why i want to start making more things from scratch, but the initial cost was slightly staggering i will definitely keep my eye out for future sales
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    krysta lynne it happens every once in a while but it does hurt the pocket book no doubt but also it depends on how many items you purchases and like you said it was baking supplies & meats which are so pricey anyways and also take into account the last time you did such a stock up it's maybe been quite a while and your stock/supplies at home maybe were so depleated if that is the case it makes perfect sense t me.

Here's to frugal beginings and not looking back.
    my cupboards were near bare except for the usual soups and such. so i literally had to get everything. my cart was near impossible to push. i was quite a sight
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    I discovered that I still don't like cream of Wheat still. Did anybody like their free sample?
    mmm, didnt get the sample, but i love cream of wheat! especially with a bit of honey and some nuts on top

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So I am going to be canning deer meat tomorrow and adding some of my Europes Best Veggies (Tuscan Blend & Sweet Patatoes) in with the meat. I did this 2 months back and they turned out beautifully.

My spaghetti sauce & soup will be coming out of the pressure canner shortly just waiting for the pressure to drop and then let cool, then label and voila. I will post a picture shortly of my labours and the #s.

8x 500ml of spaghetti with sauce with meatballs

6x 500ml of soup

1x 250ml of soup

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 001.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 002.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 003.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  65.3 KB

Also planning on doing like I forget who it was that posted earlier on this thread or perhaps it was in Frugal February, going to bottle up cookie and cake mixes in jars, attach the recipe & instructions and then voila - they are all ready to go with the exceptions of eggs, butter, etc. I'm sure ds will help me out with this and in another regard I will a better idea of what baking supplies I need to stock up on.

Does anyone in Ontario know where the Artic Garden veggies are on sale this week, I didn't notice them in the flyers that I did look at.

Marching in with all you great ladies is fabulous and very enjoyable!

Last edited by jasperandchar; Thu, Mar 14th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

then I honestly think it was not that bad, sounds like you restocked you pantries, freezers etc that were otherwise depleated, so I think you did well.

my cupboards were near bare except for the usual soups and such. so i literally had to get everything. my cart was near impossible to push. i was quite a sight
    krysta lynne and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post
    I've been stalking this thread for days now and I'm bookmarking it to stalk some more!! Love all the tips and tricks you ladies have posted
    Don't stalk...join!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunraven View Post
    I haven't seen the $1.75/day thread in particular (I don't venture into the brag section very often), but I did want to say that it's not entirely impossible to pull this off if it's just one couple, but you do have to have discipline, have a somewhat sufficient enough stockpile already, and prepare yourself to stay away from junk food to pull it off.
    But I think the point that a lot of people are missing, is the point of the challenge is not to live off your stockpile. You have to buy everything you will eat with the $1.75. No going to your stockpile for cereal or flour, ect... your entire days food comes out of the $1.75 It's to illustrate how the billions of people around the world live in extreme poverty.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

frugal march... sigh. last night i dropped $295 at walmart on groceries. i decided to begin to make and bake as many of my meals and treats as possible. but to stock my cupboards up with baking supplies, meat... yada yada... cost way more thn i had budgeted. yikes. i have never ever spent that much on groceries in one trip O_o

im about to become super frugal. lol
    I shop with a calculator now. I was tired of getting to the register and having surprises.

When we first moved here, I needed to stock the cupboards (we moved some packaged food-since the move was paid by the company but we needed a lot). I spent $450 on that trip. The cart was impossible to push! It was so heavy. I've never topped that shop (fortunately!)

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I shop with a calculator now. I was tired of getting to the register and having surprises.

When we first moved here, I needed to stock the cupboards (we moved some packaged food-since the move was paid by the company but we needed a lot). I spent $450 on that trip. The cart was impossible to push! It was so heavy. I've never topped that shop (fortunately!)
    we just moved here march 1st. thats why it was bare but never again!!
    Insane, macw1960, lecale and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

pictures added and my soup with noodles does not look muchy (so happy about that)

So I am going to be canning deer meat tomorrow and adding some of my Europes Best Veggies (Tuscan Blend & Sweet Patatoes) in with the meat. I did this 2 months back and they turned out beautifully.

My spaghetti sauce & soup will be coming out of the pressure canner shortly just waiting for the pressure to drop and then let cool, then label and voila. I will post a picture shortly of my labours and the #s.

8x 500ml of spaghetti with sauce with meatballs

6x 500ml of soup

1x 250ml of soup

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 001.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 002.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  2013 Canning pictures 003.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  65.3 KB

Also planning on doing like I forget who it was that posted earlier on this thread or perhaps it was in Frugal February, going to bottle up cookie and cake mixes in jars, attach the recipe & instructions and then voila - they are all ready to go with the exceptions of eggs, butter, etc. I'm sure ds will help me out with this and in another regard I will a better idea of what baking supplies I need to stock up on.

Does anyone in Ontario know where the Artic Garden veggies are on sale this week, I didn't notice them in the flyers that I did look at.

Marching in with all you great ladies is fabulous and very enjoyable!

Insane, macw1960 and lecale like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

pictures added and my soup with noodles does not look muchy (so happy about that)
    OMG! I am seriously jealous! I would LOVE to pressure can. It would save so much space in my freezer!

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

OMG! I am seriously jealous! I would LOVE to pressure can. It would save so much space in my freezer!
    me too i am seriously considering buying myself a deep freeze. now that im in an actual townhome (not a crappy apartment) i have a huge two room full basement. thinking im going to make one half a stockpile room, with a deep freezer. in time, have to save my pennies for it
    Insane, macw1960, lecale and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It's not mine pressure canner but I get to use it most of the year.....This is the first time I do soup & spaghetti sauce, they seem to have turned out well.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining but my freezers are so full, so I figured it be a good way to make some room, tomorrow is deer meat (that's the plan anyways)

macw1960, lecale and SassyAshley like this.

Page 40 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread Information