User Tag List

Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

If you don't mind buying a used freezer you can get them relatively cheap on usedottawa or your town and or kijjii also, also check your freecycle sites through yahoo and also repurpose stores.

Once you get a freezer you will notice a big cost difference in your grocery bill(s). Congrats to your move and more space.

Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    me too i am seriously considering buying myself a deep freeze. now that im in an actual townhome (not a crappy apartment) i have a huge two room full basement. thinking im going to make one half a stockpile room, with a deep freezer. in time, have to save my pennies for it
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Anyone want to share pictures of their stockpiles or there collection of cleaners, shampoos, deoderant?

I need to clean up my stockpile room, dh needs to put up more shelves or make them taller (lol).

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Okay ladies here's a tip and a possible warning:

I'm not saying all garages/mechanics to this but pay attention!!!

A friend of mine who was a mechanic told me about this and when I thought about it, hmmm sound familiar.

When a lady/woman brings her car into the garage for anything, oil change, tire rotation, etc....The person at the counter puts a symbol on the work order it could be a star, a check mark....you know where I'm going with this.

The car could be registered under your name or your husbands it doesn't matter but if you drop the car off ladies/girls, etc. YOU WILL ALMOST ALWAYS GET A CALL SAYING, YOU NEED YOUR WIPERS, Your battery is low, etc...

Just saying pay attention the next time you bring your car into some place like C.T. or even a dealer because what my friend told was true for me and I always brought my car to the dealer.....hmmmmm. NOW I JUST SAY NO (haha)
    Hmmm......funny because husband dropped the car off.
    Mechanic says we need a new battery and its "foreign" so its $188. He says they have to boost it to get it out of there.
    Husband calls another place they have the same "foreign" (NOT) battery for $119. OK so we go to pick up the car, guy drives it out of the garage. Even funnier there were no jumper cables in sight, nothing. Husband looks at the dash as its computer and battery says normal 14.1 volts. He starts and restarts, its fine. We go for a drive, still fine lol. I drove to Buffalo and home still nothing.
    WTH?!!!! Husband is considering calling the BBB.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    The point is though that you don't survive off your stockpile doing the live below the line challenge. Anything you consume has to fit within that $1.75/person/day frame.

Honestly, this might sound rather harsh (and I am in a crabby mood, so it doesn't help I suppose), but I've lived below the poverty line. I don't need to relive it. It sucked so bad. Not having enough food to feed both you and your kid. I have no need to stress myself out like that just for fun.
    Me too. Don't wanna relive it.
    Angela273, Insane, lecale and 2 others like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

All right so I return on the cusp of alot of spending. ALOT.
    In my head I keep telling myself it was planned spending and its ok because it was vacation.
    But I did find it hard especially with eating out for two days! Ah well.
    The kids had a terrific time and the experience is was worth it. We saw the new wizard of oz movie and it was great.
    The saturday before we left I hit up SDM and redeemed $200 worth of points so that is a plus

All bills have been paid, including the Florida vacation rental we are going to May 2.
    Its time to save again! I go back to work Monday after a six week sick leave (surgery) and I'm a bit anxious about keeping my new *good* habits

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    But I think the point that a lot of people are missing, is the point of the challenge is not to live off your stockpile. You have to buy everything you will eat with the $1.75. No going to your stockpile for cereal or flour, ect... your entire days food comes out of the $1.75 It's to illustrate how the billions of people around the world live in extreme poverty.
    I think I mentioned that I didn't read the brag section post to know what their point was.

I was just sharing that I've been trying to do this on my own (in my own little world) and am still able to have healthy meals.

As well, even though I am eating out of my stockpile, I did mention that part of my plan is definitely to replenish the stockpile when a good deal comes along like the upcoming CT event.

I feel for people that have to live this lifestyle due to circumstance (like extreme poverty) and not choice, I don't want to take anything away from that. I just wanted to share my crazy budget plan.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

I Know what being poor is like and never what to go there again,there was many a night i went to bed hungry so the younger kids had something to eat.I started coooking when i was 9 and boy did i learned to stretch a lb of hamburger.I think that why today i am so frugal.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

TO anyone who needs to stock up on baking supplies, the next couple of weeks should be good. Alot of sales going into Easter.

I would so share my stockpile pictures if they were so scary, my stockpiles have exploded so we are creating a stockpile room to contain it all.

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    If you don't mind buying a used freezer you can get them relatively cheap on usedottawa or your town and or kijjii also, also check your freecycle sites through yahoo and also repurpose stores.

Once you get a freezer you will notice a big cost difference in your grocery bill(s). Congrats to your move and more space.
    Did you notice a big jump in hydro from using your freezer? I'm still on the fence about it, but with all the batch cooking I do, it would be nice to not have to worry about freezer space.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

no , my freezer made my bill go up 5.00 per month,and its a older yellowone. worth it personally. plan is to replace, but for now its good.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have always had a second freezer only went without a second one for about a month and really did not notice a difference but we do have an energy efficient. We are looking into buying a second one now for the stockpile room, keep our current one for meats and random stuff and put bread, fruits and veggies in the new one.
    Insane, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    We have always had a second freezer only went without a second one for about a month and really did not notice a difference but we do have an energy efficient. We are looking into buying a second one now for the stockpile room, keep our current one for meats and random stuff and put bread, fruits and veggies in the new one.
    We're looking at getting a bigger one. I keep going back and forth between keep the one we have as well as getting a bigger one.

I'm HUGE into batch cooking. I firmly believe in the mantra cook once eat twice (or three or four of five) times. So freezer space is so important. Plus I really want to get a meat order. (trying to convince hubby to use the income tax refund for that!) Not to mention, that we need a 2nd fridge. But there is no room for that.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

double post
    Last edited by Insane; Thu, Mar 14th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

ack! Triple post.
    Last edited by Insane; Thu, Mar 14th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
    lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My stand up freezer is an older one as well, I would say $5.00 a month for hydro to run it would seem a fair price. The way I see it is How many $5.00 a month could you get versus buying a brand new one. A cheap new stand up (small one) is I'm guessing $350.00 vs.
    12 months x $5.00 = $60.00 a year x 6 years = $360.00

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    no , my freezer made my bill go up 5.00 per month,and its a older yellowone. worth it personally. plan is to replace, but for now its good.

Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information