Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By oscarandme

Thread: Shoppers Please Beware of this Scammer at Metrotown Area

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone in the Greater Vancouver Area,

Just a heads up about a young man asking for gas money in shopping malls, especially at Metrotown area. He's also reportedly frequently shown up in Surrey for a while.

It's been a long time this guy's been scamming people by asking for gas money, and obviously he doesn't need gas at all. Usually he would make up a story saying he needed gas to go home, he's a UBC student, blah blah blah. Please do not fall for this scam.

He's a very young looking guy, white caucasian, short light brown hair, slim and tall. He likes to target Asian people who tend to carry lots of cash.

According to a Chinese website post where people shared their experience running into him, at Metrotown's parking lot one man had offered this guy a spare bottle of gas in the trunk while being asked for gas money, but the scammer said he unfortunately used diesel instead (- how convenient!). One woman said she gave him $5, but the scammer asked for more after seeing her fat wallet, which really scared her, and since there wasn't anyone else around and the guy turned aggressive, she had to give him more.

This guy might be dangerous when he gets a chance. Please watch out for this guy, and report him to the police if you do run into him. He's been doing this scam for so long without getting caught and I believe the police are indeed looking for him.

And please forward this information to other Vancouver forum that you know of, and let as many people as possible learn about this guy and his scam. Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, Target

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Thanks for posting!
    $10 for Referrer and Referee At Folica.com!
    Your Online Source For Hair Care

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Not just in BC.
    At Union Station in Toronto, a group of guys would ask for money to get a GO train ticket home. They weren't very good scammers - dressed in the best of the best fashions, high top runners and smart phone. I was a student at the time and would see the same guy at the same time each day. I alerted GO transit security and it stopped for a while. They came back in a few months.
    Candini, cally and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

BCalert!

Yuk! are the police aware of this guy? Maybe someone can take a photo with their phone and email the police about his looks and description, they probably already know but YUK. Nice of you and SHWA GIRL too in Oshawa to alert your respective cities to beware. What a world...
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Thanks. I never give out money. With panhandlers or the squeegee guys, I usually give them a granola bar or something like that which I always have in the car. I'm also going to start giving out toothbrushes & toothpaste (thanks P & G for the cheap & almost free with coupons). One SDM I go to has the Life 2 pack toothbrushes on clearance for .99 so I always stock up on those to top up my purchase if I'm short by a few dollars for the promos.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

Winnipeg. This is a common occurrence at the Domo location (on Marion).

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it's tough cus what about the rare occasion when somebody does need help? most everybody has cell phones etc - i usually offer to call somebody for them who can pick them up etc. heh

Thread Information