User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: WSIB help

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My husbad started his own business this year. He is working in the costruction. We need to pay his wsib. Is anyone know how to do it in a simple way? I've alreday done his earnings and most of expenses. I called wsib but they didin't help me too much.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

This site doesn't help you?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

It will depend what band they place him in, there are various bands for construction depending on the danger level (does he work at heights, confined spaces, with chemicals etc)
    Sign up for eServices (as linked in the post above) and you should be able to find that with all of your info, then they will give you a rate and you can simply log in and pay it, otherwise, they send you a monthly form in the mail (usually a batch of forms to save them on postage) and you remit it monthly
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

It is really simple once you get the hang of it, just a side note, if you husband is self employed and just works for home owners and not other businesses, he can chose to take an exemption from WSIB, if he works for other businesses though he needs to register for WSIB. My husband owns a contracting company and he has decided to take the home owners exemption. We have employees and we just pay WSIB on their earnings not on the earnings of the company as a whole. If you have any questions post and I will try to answer them

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They recently decided that WSIB is mandatory for all consstruction contractors
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Yes FallenPixels, on January 1st 2013 they brought in mandatory coverage for all construction contractors like everything else there are a few exemptions and contractors that work solely for home owners and do no sub-contracting work for any other companies can be exempt from this mandatory coverage, if they decide to do work for anyone other than home owners be it another construction company, property management or a business or any sort they must opt in to WSIB.
    I will look and see if I can find a link that explains it a little better

Exemptions from coverage

Exemption for home renovation work

Independent operators, sole proprietors, partners, and executive officers in the construction industry are exempt from compulsory coverage if they are engaged exclusively in home renovation work, as defined in this policy.
    NOTE

The exemption applies only to the individual(s). When these individuals hire workers, they are employers under the WSIA and are required to register with the WSIB to cover their workers.
    What is exempt home renovation work?

Exempt home renovation work means construction work that is performed

• by an independent operator, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, or an executive officer in a corporation and,
    • on an existing private residence that is or will be occupied by the person who directly retains the contractor (independent operator, sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation), or by a member of the person’s family.

Existing private residence defined

An existing private residence is a dwelling that includes

• a house, condominium unit, or apartment unit
    • a private residence that is used seasonally or for recreational purposes, such as a cottage

and,

• any structures that are normally incidental or subordinate to the private residence, situated on the same site, and used exclusively for non-commercial purposes. These include such structures as garages, sheds, fences, or swimming pools.

To satisfy the conditions of the home renovation exemption, the person directly retaining the contractor, or a member of the person’s family, is or will be an occupant of the private residence.

http://www.wsib.on.ca/en/community/WSIB/230/OPMDetail/24347?vgnextoid=309346e7324f6310VgnVCM100000469c71 0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ee158588e7a4e110VgnVCM1000000 e18120aRCRD

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Renovation means no new construction though, if you tear down enough or build a standalone garage etc you run into issues
    ~ ~ ~

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

When I called to inquire about it in the late fall and then again after Christmas, I was told that no new construction of homes was allowed, but that the construction of sheds, fences and free standing garages were covered under the exemption as they are situated on the site of a private residence and are being used for personal use only. I covered my ass in this area as I have tape recording of this conversation that the agent I was speaking to was aware of. I think that probably in the next 6-12 months they will probably come out with some clarification on this matter but who knows. It can get very confusing.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The one I spoke to said no to garages (I didn't ask about sheds and fences as we don't deal with them), we do a lot of new construction anyway so doesn't make a difference to me but I wish they could decide on one policy and stick to it
    ~ ~ ~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Xarinn View Post
    It is really simple once you get the hang of it, just a side note, if you husband is self employed and just works for home owners and not other businesses, he can chose to take an exemption from WSIB, if he works for other businesses though he needs to register for WSIB. My husband owns a contracting company and he has decided to take the home owners exemption. We have employees and we just pay WSIB on their earnings not on the earnings of the company as a whole. If you have any questions post and I will try to answer them
    His job is just construction. He owns his business, he is a tiler. He is hired by the bigger company(subcontractor) Most of the time is just him. Sometimes when he is really busy he will hire somebody(he wil call one of his buddys from the constrution tell them im busy will you help me after when the job is done he will pay them hst included). He recived a letter from wsib and his rate for this year is 7,33( last year was 7.25)
    From what I understand- all his earnings minus the expenses. What remains multiplied by the premium rate(7.33) divided by 100? Is that right? When I called wsib the guy told me that he don't have to worry about his workers, it is they job to pay their wsib.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

You take the earnings, divide that by 100 and multiply the total by 7.33 (and wow that is higher than I thought it would be for tilers)
    ~ ~ ~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    You take the earnings, divide that by 100 and multiply the total by 7.33 (and wow that is higher than I thought it would be for tilers)
    Thank you ) and I made a mistake his rate for 2013 is 7.51

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

He needs to make sure that when he has workers working for them that they do have their own WSIB coverage because even though he is paying them as a sub-trade, paying HST etc if they do not have their own WSIB then it can become an issue for him. Just ensure that you get a clearance certificate when ever he hires a buddy and there will be no issues.

Fallen Pixels, that is why I tape all my phone calls with the WSIB I have called before and been given completely different answers for the exact same question, we avoid new construction as I don't want anything to do with Tarion...lol

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I'm not at all knowledgeable about this sort of thing, but wouldn't it vary from province to province since WSIB/WSCC (that's what it's called here) is run by each province?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I am sure their is variation from province to province, I just assumed she was talking about Ontario because she called it WSIB and that is Ontarios workplace safety board...lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information