Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Minimun salary is 10,16$ per hours since may 1 in QC

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by idonovan View Post
    I work minimum wage and barely survive but I still understand why it is that way if you were paying more because someone was earning more they would end up paying more of there wage aswell and if you look at the math involved you end up spending more of a % of your check and therefore end up with less money. Its hard for me to explain but as someone who just finished macroeconomics I truly believe giving more minimum wage does more harm then good. I live it it sucks but it helps with staying alive while in school as student loans cover not much beyond school expense.
    I totally understand you. But if someone comes form a wealthy family and works just for his pleasure so he should not be paid the same minimum wages as someone who barely survives. Here should be a good balance, maybe a general minimum wages should be set up (let's say, from $9 to $11), and then an employer should decide how much to pay according to the social level of an employee.

In general, in my opinion, minimum wages should be set up according to the total household income of the employee. And along with that, sales taxes of the province should be taken into consideration as well.
    cath007 likes this.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Mia
    Female
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Last edited by Mia; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Relax, enjoy your coffee (tea) and earn money! Any time, when you want! http://www.clixsense.com/?5881505
    And earn Amazon and other gift cards as well, fast and easy! Anyone can!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/refer/zerehas

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Interesting opinion on setting the general wages, Mia. Only drawback is if employee is seen/known to be living with family in a better than average neighbourhood. What if parents decree "sunshine daughter/son" has to pay own way through school with work while living at home. How does the employer access that information? What if the parents' home is paid off but one or both parents cannot work and thus daughter/son is helping with expenses by working?
    Not a clear scenario but life happens and it's not always sweet.

Thanks for adding to the discussion!
    xox2010 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I totally understand you. But if someone comes form a wealthy family and works just for his pleasure so he should not be paid the same minimum wages as someone who barely survives. Here should be a good balance, maybe a general minimum wages should be set up (let's say, from $9 to $11), and then an employer should decide how much to pay according to the social level of an employee.

In general, in my opinion, minimum wages should be set up according to the total household income of the employee. And along with that, sales taxes of the province should be taken into consideration as well.
    The challenge with a system like this would be that the person with a family in need would never get hired. A business is looking to make a profit. If it has the choice of hiring one person who would be paid $10 an hour or a different person (both people with the same skill set and the same job responsibilities) for $12 an hour, most businesses would pick the $10 person to keep costs down. So good luck to that family person in getting a job. This would likely create a more difficult situation than what they currently face.

If minimum wage goes up, in comparison other wages also go up. When minimum wage goes up, the cost of everything goes up because the cost of delivering the product or service goes up. The person with a higher education level and a more specialized skill set expects (fairly so) to be paid more than a person working in a job requiring less skills set. So it becomes a chicken and egg issue.

There will always be high earners and some people that are struggling more.
    xox2010 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information