User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Seriously, am I cursed?!

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Good luck on your job search. Hope you find something soon.
    SFARAZ and paciad like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My guess is your just way too good looking for them. They are probably just jealous individuals that hate good looking people...
    paciad likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycoupons View Post
    My guess is your just way too good looking for them. They are probably just jealous individuals that hate good looking people...

Hahaha thanks, glad to know that at least I don't have to worry about my presentation.
    Shwa Girl and Candini like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I wish you best lucks as well, really! I moved to Canada a few years ago, thought it would be easy to find a job, I have 4 years university degree and used to work at a high ranked bank in my country. It was 2009 when I moved here and my husband got laid off cause the company couldn't find any contract, we was living in fear, we only had 6000 cash and we got to pay for the apartment, food, etc. I was dropping off my resume everywhere I could but didn't hear anything from them for about 8 months. My husband managed to work whenever someone needs him. Then I found a temporary job, warehouse sale for 2 weeks, made about 2000 that month. Then nothing, I was really really hopeless, so I do understand how you feel now, but at least you have a job right now ?

So I was volunteering at the church, and some people know me through volunteering, and when they heard someone was hiring they told me, that's how I got my first real part time job, I did my best, didn't mind working extra time without being paid. The manager saw that I am hard worker so she scheduled me for more hours. Then about 3 months later I got the second part time job, I managed them so well (with the understanding of the 1st manager, who gave me flexible hours cause now I have 2 jobs). Then the second manager, after 3 months, asked me if I want full time, I said yes. So now I am full time 41 hours and at the other place I am still doing 20 hours a week.

I'm a busy girl now, but I'm so proud of myself, I am not making a lot but I enjoy my work so much, I have good co workers, nice managers from both companies. Yes there are stress too due to work related, but overall I'm happy. I wasn't happy to pay tax at the end of the year either but this year I bought RRSP so I think I'm ok lol!!! One bad thing is I don't have time to cook any more, poor my husband!

Don't give up, pray, hope and believe you will get .

I'm thinking of going back to school next year, but in the mean time I'll save as much as possible, don't want to borrow money at all!
    Want Free Paypal money or Gift Cards? Here you go!!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thiennga

Thanks for being my referral!!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thien_nga View Post
    I'm a busy girl now, but I'm so proud of myself, I am not making a lot but I enjoy my work so much, I have good co workers, nice managers from both companies. Yes there are stress too due to work related, but overall I'm happy. I wasn't happy to pay tax at the end of the year either but this year I bought RRSP so I think I'm ok lol!!! One bad thing is I don't have time to cook any more, poor my husband!

Don't give up, pray, hope and believe you will get .
    Again, thank you and I look up to all those who work hard like yourself. Wishing you all the best, and if you decide to go back to school I hope you enjoy it!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am currently working two part time jobs but would really really just like one full time steady hours job that paid enough to cover bills. I've been searching for almost a full year now and so far nothing. I've had a ton of interviews but have only been offered part time or seasonal positions. I've been taking them because I need them but it's definitely not my ideal.
    paciad likes this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

thien_nga, you just showed the power of networking and the power of unpaid internships. Your networks from the church helped you get a job and the unpaid work allowed the boss to see you at work and how you handle yourself. And look at you now - more than 40 hours of work plus plans for school. WTG!!!!
    cath007 and paciad like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    thien_nga, you just showed the power of networking and the power of unpaid internships. Your networks from the church helped you get a job and the unpaid work allowed the boss to see you at work and how you handle yourself. And look at you now - more than 40 hours of work plus plans for school. WTG!!!!
    She didn't do an unpaid internship? An unpaid internship is required by law to be apart of a formal education process, also known as a practicum. Her employment was not apart of a practicum, making her unpaid work illegal. She put her manager and the business owner's livelihood at stake by breaking labour laws. She also put every other employee and potential employee of that businesses livelihood at stake by undercutting them and reducing required work. Why should we be rewarding slave labour, even if the person is willing?
    Last edited by SmartConsumer; Mon, May 13th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What are you studying? Just asking because it could make a difference as to what type of job you're looking for.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the easiest way to get a job is to know someone. So ask around - friends, family, neighbours, see who has something.
    paciad likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KAT_5998 View Post
    What are you studying? Just asking because it could make a difference as to what type of job you're looking for.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the easiest way to get a job is to know someone. So ask around - friends, family, neighbours, see who has something.
    I totally regret it now but I'm in the Arts. (Back when I applied, I applied for the Arts and for Business... I should have taken the business route.)
    Anyways, I'm double majoring in English, History, and minoring in Sociology. One more year to go and then I graduate. Afterwards the plan WAS to apply for teachers college (I've always wanted to be a teacher). With the way things are looking in that field I can't imagine how I'll get a position (without real close ties) so now I have my doubts towards that as well.
    In regards to that, I've done a lot of volunteer work in various schools around my neighbourhood and I do have the academic credentials, so the next best option work wise would be working with kids in camp settings, tutoring, etc. But everywhere I've applied they ended up hiring those who have graduated.

So I'm left back where I started.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by paciad View Post
    I totally regret it now but I'm in the Arts. (Back when I applied, I applied for the Arts and for Business... I should have taken the business route.)
    Anyways, I'm double majoring in English, History, and minoring in Sociology. One more year to go and then I graduate. Afterwards the plan WAS to apply for teachers college (I've always wanted to be a teacher). With the way things are looking in that field I can't imagine how I'll get a position (without real close ties) so now I have my doubts towards that as well.
    In regards to that, I've done a lot of volunteer work in various schools around my neighbourhood and I do have the academic credentials, so the next best option work wise would be working with kids in camp settings, tutoring, etc. But everywhere I've applied they ended up hiring those who have graduated.

So I'm left back where I started.
    You'll be a teacher don't worry. The most important thing is passion, which it sounds like you have. I know a lot of "idiots" would be the best word I have to describe them that recently graduated with their BA of Education and are now teachers. Everything happens for a reason and remember the only thing your cursed with is good looks and brains
    cath007 and paciad like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

World is a marathon of being at the right place at the right moment.The positive people get more chance,so I am not worry for you ,you will get a job,not as fast as you wished but kept going,it will pay off,first job when I was a 17 years old teenager I got it 1 time because of my social ability to present myself,I did have plan to search at others place but I got it so I was happy for the stress relief
    paciad likes this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

i know exactly how you feel
    I graduated my program in 2010 and STILL cant find work.
    Its either who you know, or you have to work for free (interning)
    Yea, that doesnt pay my bills.
    Of course I graduated just a bit after the big recession hits
    I volunteer once a month usually to keep my hands wet but other than that im working fulltime retail
    paciad likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I've been looking for any job for the past two months... I have lots of retail experience, plus I will be finished college in August but trying to find even a retail job is proving difficult. Wish you the best of luck!
    paciad likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Don't loose hope. I see a lot of people are in tough situations because of downturn in the economy. I am not saying this just to make a point. We have been in pretty rough times recently as well. My husband lost his job four and a half years ago and since then he has worked on and off whatever he can find and when he can find which is not very often. He has had a lot of second and third interviews. Usually at the good jobs he is then told to do behaviour and psychological quizzes and he has never made past those. Excuses are so stupid too: If he interviewed for a Managerial position, he is told that the position involves supervising staff but he is not qualified for it because the analysis showed he will get too friendly with them and not supervise properly. He is too laid back etc. If he interviews for a associate's position that he is too qualified and will leave eventually or some other such excuse. He has some health problems as well and his health has gone down so much in the last couple of years because of all the stress from trying to find something and a death of the close family member. Sometimes he is barely able to walk. I have a decent job but it is hard to meet all the expenses with just one income. So now we only try to buy necessary things. Recently, I started couponing and somebody pointed me to this site and it seems like I can learn a lot from here. You are young and starting, something will come soon, just be positive. Good luck again.
    paciad likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information