3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Rain all week, I am stuck in limbo with half the garden planted
    you're getting the rain we just had Patty... prepare for cold temps next
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yeah it went down to 4 last night a couple more cold night to follow then it looks good from there.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

It's all in the house at the moment. Tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, osteospermum, brought em all in, especially now that we are under a frost warning. Pouring rain and now frosty. I could have sworn it was almost june :D
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Patty-go plant the easy garden seeds because the water is on tap and you won't have to water!
    Glad to see your note that Oreo the cat is back home!

GoJays-will cut back the wood to check. Likely the woody branches only managed to tough it out under the pavers during the winter and some of spring. It's just that recently I saw "sticks" coming out from the pavers (and saw them as trip hazards) and realized what they were - so salvage time!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    they're probably leather jackets.. is this the guy?

they eat the roots of the grass in their larval form then they turn into this:

nasty crane fly.. they lay more eggs in the lawn and the cycle continues..

our lawn has never been infested to the point that we have to do something about them, but they're always there.. some websites recommend beneficial nematodes

try this site: http://www.crd.bc.ca/gardening/leatherjackets.htm
    or you can just google for leather jacket control, there are a thousand sites that offer some sort of advice.. good luck
    YES!!! Thats them exactly! Thanks GoJays...you saved me going out today to try and find one and take a pic of it.

I saw a youtube video on the nematodes, i kind of like that idea....environmentally friendly, and since I have a dog I don't want to use alot of chemicals on the lawn.

i am a bit relieved, I didn't want to put a whole lot of effort into getting the lawn looking good, only to have it destroyed by those nasty grubs.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by cookoo
    crane fly, so that's what they were! i thought they were either giant mosquitoes or insects related to dragonflies.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookoo

i always hand-pick them and feed to the hungry spiders.

I thought they were mosquito related too!
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Glad to help

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sun is out again...took these pics today:

Iris, Crabapple blossoms, Calibrachoa aka Millionbells...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Patty Smyth, Angela273 and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

love that iris, marstec.. i've never seen that variety before.. my batik iris is on the verge of blooming finally
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    they're probably leather jackets.. is this the guy?

they eat the roots of the grass in their larval form then they turn into this:

nasty crane fly.. they lay more eggs in the lawn and the cycle continues..

our lawn has never been infested to the point that we have to do something about them, but they're always there.. some websites recommend beneficial nematodes

try this site: http://www.crd.bc.ca/gardening/leatherjackets.htm
    or you can just google for leather jacket control, there are a thousand sites that offer some sort of advice.. good luck

Oh thanks I didn't know what those giant mosquitos were either! Explains why we can't grow grass in the yard, even after trying for 2 years! Dug it up and put down seed one year, some growth, but with a large dog its hard to keep it looking good. Then year 2 year dig it up and put down some new soil on top, add grass seed for shade. Looked good for awhile, then I noticed that the large dog loved to roll and scratch his back in a certain place on the lawn = no grass growing! sigh.
    I've kinda given up and have started to put more flower beds in the yard, much nicer looking and less grass to mow and hopefully less mosquitos.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Welll, bit of an epic failure on my seed starting indoors. But you live and you learn. Next year I will use the right seed starting medium, and not my soil from the garden and planters! AND I am buying some grow lights. Some of the plants started off a bit leggy. I find the flower type plants are a bit fussier, so will give them a go again next year and give them extra TLC and more time to grow. I would start flower seeds around March to give them a good start.
    Some of the veggies did ok, but the seeds my SIL gave me were old, so nothing really grew, so sad, cause what a waste of time. I had to go and buy tomato plants, and reseeded some peppers, the beans grew, as did the peas and cukes, but those were new seeds. I will most likely have to go buy some pepper plants too. I'm sure I would have had some decent sized plants to transplant if I had planted new seeds. Name:  IMG-20130526-00462.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  34.9 KB
    The petunias and dianthus sprouted but haven't grown too much. Although the daturas and passion flower vine are doing ok indoors still. It took them some time to sprout but they did! So will see how they keep doing. My coleus was a failure too, sad about those as I paid about $5. for the seeds! So I bought a couple of those and rooted some more from them to spread them around.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    Well still nothing else coming up in the yard. I did though start some seeds indoors as I saved some seeds from last year and want to see how well I do. I alsot gives me a reason to play in the mud early. LOL
    I just started most of them on April 9-10, and then some more yesterday.
    And I can't believe it I already have growth! Yah! Heres some pictures. I also found a good use for the plastic zippered bags that duvet covers and comforters come in. Even the plastic bags that pillows come in can be used for mini greenhouses.
    I have beans and cukes that are coming up, then in the rectangle container will all the little plants is Petunias. Then the other 2 small round ones have dianthis that sprouted! I am going to have tons of flowers to play with and plant this year. Will also probably do so baskets/planters for family/friends.
    I have besides the beans and cukes: tomatos, tons of herbs, onions, peppers, peas. Flowers: dianthis 3 kinds, datura, zinnas, marigolds 2 kinds, petunias: reds, burngandies, blacks, pinks, dephiniums, foxglove, begonia tubers, 3 kinds of lillies, pumpkins, a mystery seed (my sil gave me some seeds too) passion flower (this will be interesting) coleus, trailing plants, blue asslyum (sp?) Attachment 172735Attachment 172736Attachment 172737Attachment 172738
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    Welll, bit of an epic failure on my seed starting indoors. But you live and you learn. Next year I will use the right seed starting medium, and not my soil from the garden and planters! AND I am buying some grow lights. Some of the plants started off a bit leggy. I find the flower type plants are a bit fussier, so will give them a go again next year and give them extra TLC and more time to grow. I would start flower seeds around March to give them a good start.
    Some of the veggies did ok, but the seeds my SIL gave me were old, so nothing really grew, so sad, cause what a waste of time. I had to go and buy tomato plants, and reseeded some peppers, the beans grew, as did the peas and cukes, but those were new seeds. I will most likely have to go buy some pepper plants too. I'm sure I would have had some decent sized plants to transplant if I had planted new seeds. Name:  IMG-20130526-00462.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  34.9 KB
    The petunias and dianthus sprouted but haven't grown too much. Although the daturas and passion flower vine are doing ok indoors still. It took them some time to sprout but they did! So will see how they keep doing. My coleus was a failure too, sad about those as I paid about $5. for the seeds! So I bought a couple of those and rooted some more from them to spread them around.
    When I start old seeds I sandwich them between wet paper towel for a day first and put them in a ziploc. It usually starts them to sprout. That way I can see the ones that will grow before potting them, and dont waste time on the duds.
    I do that for the seeds with a tougher coat as well, they germinate faster. I forgot to water all the seeds I started this year and they all shrivelled up and died after a few weeks, so Im just going to throw the remaining seeds in the garden and hope for the best.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.
    Do you want to buy and sell Bitcoin? Sign up for Ndax to buy and sell bitcoin in Canada. Other altcoins available on the platform too! Quick, simple and secure.!. Have a look around. https://one.ndax.io/bfQb65

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My lilies are peaking out of the soil. Today I planted wave petunias, pansies and carnations in pots/planters. The weather has been up and down, cool, warm and rainy. Sort of a late start to planting.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Here are pics of all the hard work my DS's did for me this year. I wish I would have taken pics before all the elm seeds got in the mud. I swore last year I was going to start up an Elm tree nursery this year instead of trying to grow anything else!! LOL

So the DS's dug up mud inbetween the roots of the pine tree and then added some new soil and then planted the orange lillies around it, then some hostas around them.
    Then they added 2 orange geraniums and one lonely blue denim pentuna for now and 2 different coleus.
    On the far side of the bed they planted one of the villosa lilacs

Name:  Bed under Pine.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  45.0 KB
    In the large bed they dug out some clay mud, added in new soil and replanted the plants that were there:
    hostas, iris, orange lilies, Candytuft, peonies, spirea, strawberry yarrow, and 2 ground covers.
    Also put down a few morning glory seeds (reds and pastels) along this side of the steps and along the lattice fence behind the pine tree.
    I still need to have them edge the new bed under the pine. But they did alot of heavy work for me.
    Name:  Lrg Front Bed.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  48.5 KB
    Name:  Sm front bed.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  31.7 KB
    In the small front bed some of the heavy clay mud was dug out and new soil added back in. Then the plants replanted. Iris, spirea, hostas, peonies (weren't dug out), added in 2 small coleus, and planted some delphinium seed along the steps. Close to the downspout they planted the multiblue clematis, and covered its roots with a ground cover, and seeded some morning glories.
    Still not sure what is going to happen around the old pine stump. But a couple of small ground covers have been planted around it for now.
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Mon, May 27th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well 5 days of rain is over, got the 3 last boxes emptied and will paint them tomorrow if they are dried out . The rain has left my wave petunias in serious condition , almost rotted out . Hopefully not too late for them to recover.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Neighbourhood Irises have already bloomed.Our clearance Iris, bought during last year's garden season are blooming now.
    Iris x 4 in full bloom and it's the first thing you see coming up the front of the house. Didn't think they would make it to this year (squirrels and winter), but they are really beautiful IMHO.
    Like this:
    http://www.dungevalley.co.uk/Iris%20...%20Loop%27.jpg

Page 45 of 149 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 95 145 ... LastLast

Thread Information