User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Training cashiers is not my job!!!!!

Super Duper Smart Canuck happy_me24's Avatar
    Trading Score
    67 (100%)

I haven't had any issues with getting my points for the 20x the points events, but I NEVER get the GC....even though the register says that I should. It's sooooo freakin' frustrating. It's like they think that we are doing something wrong, or taking something from their store (btw, why do they care anyways???).

I just get tired of arguing too Jenny....they never learn. I feel like we should offer them classes.
    JennyFromTheRock likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyFromTheRock View Post
    It's getting so annoying!! I'm sure we've all been there too at the same store..... Shoppers Drug Mart!!!!

Seems like every weekend when there is a promo, I always have the same issue at least once. Today was no different!! Today I went to shoppers for the 20x's points event, I had my items on the counter and had them all rang through. My total was $51 before tax. I say, oh nice that was close to the $50 for the 20 points, the cashier agrees. I hand over my coupons and its the same thing I always seem to encounter.... "you won't get get the points if your coupons bring the total down below $50" Ughhhh. Here we go again!!!!!!

So I said, "yes, I will, coupons count towards the threshold"
    Cashier says "no, you better go get some more things if you want the points because it has to be over $50 after."
    Me.... "no, I'll get them"
    cashier "I can call a manager and check"
    Me "well you can if you want, but I will get them"
    cashier calls manager.... manager says, "no, has to be over $50 after coupons"

Ughh, now I have to train a manager AND a cashier?!??!?

Pull up the coupon policy on THEIR OWN website!!!

"Coupons count towards the promo threshold"

Cashier and Manager BAFFLED!!!

Me: "It wouldn't matter anyway, the register knows the rules.

So my total was $17 ( and change I forget ) ring the sale through, got my 11,000 points, half smirk .

I hate having to train employees on their own rules!!! Its getting to be a weekly thing!!! A few weeks ago with the double double promo ( $10 tim card, $10 SDM card ) I had to actually kick and scream to get my promo cards, even after the register said "issue promo" why aren't any of these employees trained on their OWN rules?!??!?!

I can't help but wonder how many people who don't know their rights and confront these people are denied promos because the cashiers aren't trained?? A while back a friend of mine was there for the $20 gas card promo and was well over the threshold before coupons and wasn't given a promo for the same reason cashier said "no, has to be $75 after coupons"

Why am I having to train people?!?! It's not my job!!!!

Thanks for hearing my rant!

On May 28 I went to 20x bonus shopping event via personal email invitation(I guess someone realized I didn't use my card on the May 25 event &wanted me to spend $$. The coupon actually stated that the $50 was after discounts etc so I didn't bother to argue as the 2x $4 Pampers diaper coupons that I used allowed me to get items I didn't mind getting(eggs).In this instance I would think it's fair to say the coupon verbiage over-rode the general cpn policy.I will always keep this in mind.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hey All!!

I haven't posted in a while but read this thread today and had to offer my 2 cents! lol. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, try to be patient with cashiers. As a couponer myself I realize it can be extremely frustrating to have a cashier that doesn't understand the process.....however, it really isn't their fault that they haven't been trained properly....and I'm sure most haven't. I worked in retail myself.....and with ZERO previous experience I received about an hour of training and a booklet to read. The store I worked at also subscribed to the Scanning Code of Practice, but not once in the entire time I was there was I trained or really told anything about it. I think many stores throw new cashiers on the floor in a "sink or swim" situation......which is really unfortunate. It always wrecked my entire day when a customer treated me poorly....or with irritation because I wasn't sure about something or needed to ask the head cashier/manager about it. While the customer may be right I'd always rather be safe than sorry and get the "okay" from one of my supervisors until I'm more familiar with things.

OP.....in no way am I suggesting that you treated the cashier poorly.....I just wanted to give EVERYONE a friendly reminder that in many instances cashiers seem to receive little to no training.....which can be very frustrating to them, as well as yourself.
    anastasia1009 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    120 (100%)

I had the same experience yesterday at SDM...although my OOP was $44 my cashier was holding up the line asking the other cashiers if I will get the points and they all said no and I said yes I will. She even asked me where I got the $1 royale tp coupons from. When I said gocoupons.ca she stopped everything to find a pen and write it on her hand. I have encountered this same cashier before and she always asks me the SAME thing, because I only (mostly) shop at Shoppers at 20x the points events or when they have something really good on sale.

So she announced that my total was $44 and the other cashiers scoffed and said I'm losing out on the 20x the points. When my receipt printed she shouted...Oh my goodness, she DID get the points. I calmly took my buggy and rolled out. They were all in disbelief.

I agree with Jenny, 20x the points happens I think twice every month (the weekend sale and the special Wednesday afterward), you would think they would know these simple rules of CASHING out by now. Hopefully now I will go to this same cashier who is somewhat more educated in this regard.

I have never shopped when they have those gift card events because I never have the cash to spare those weeks for some reason.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Speckled28 View Post
    Hey All!!

I haven't posted in a while but read this thread today and had to offer my 2 cents! lol. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, try to be patient with cashiers. As a couponer myself I realize it can be extremely frustrating to have a cashier that doesn't understand the process.....however, it really isn't their fault that they haven't been trained properly....and I'm sure most haven't. I worked in retail myself.....and with ZERO previous experience I received about an hour of training and a booklet to read. The store I worked at also subscribed to the Scanning Code of Practice, but not once in the entire time I was there was I trained or really told anything about it. I think many stores throw new cashiers on the floor in a "sink or swim" situation......which is really unfortunate. It always wrecked my entire day when a customer treated me poorly....or with irritation because I wasn't sure about something or needed to ask the head cashier/manager about it. While the customer may be right I'd always rather be safe than sorry and get the "okay" from one of my supervisors until I'm more familiar with things.

OP.....in no way am I suggesting that you treated the cashier poorly.....I just wanted to give EVERYONE a friendly reminder that in many instances cashiers seem to receive little to no training.....which can be very frustrating to them, as well as yourself.
    You're absolutely right.
    At most of my jobs basically newbies get 1 day of training with a manager/supervisor on cash and the next day your on your own.
    Sink or swim.. if they make it then good, if not then you better learn quick.
    We haven't really had to let too many people go before their 3 months at my new job, but part of the problem is, cashiers are a dime a dozen.
    and most don't stay past a year.
    The constant turnover of cashiers makes it very difficult to secure a strong cashier.
    Many times we just aren't given the extra hours to set aside time to train them. Unfortunately that's just the way retail is. and I agree it's not right or fair.
    You can try and explain to people how the retail world works but until people have worked it. They are never going to understand. at least thats been in my experience , it may vary by person.

If I had a nickel for every time something hasn't scanned and the customer said to me, ''Oh must be free then! hahaha'' I'd be a millionaire!
    Last edited by c_mcarthur; Sun, Jun 16th, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
    xox2010 and Speckled28 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My opinion, if you know you're going to get the points why argue? Just say "no problem" if they inform you that you won't get the points and the issues are avoided. Don't make your day or the cashiers day any longer than you need to.
    xox2010 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information