User Tag List

Page 48 of 149 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Got this one finally planted today and built the trellis for the cucumbers. This bed has tomatoes, cukes and peppers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GoJays and marstec like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

marstec, I purchased a gas plant last year hoping for the best.. i got the worst.. it didn't like me lol

Patty, it's beautiful! You're so handy, I wish you lived closer to me so you could build one here
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't have high hopes for a big crop this year but if it does eventually warm up and stop raining I may get some stuff.

Farmers here are very worried abut crops. Some were saying it was too wet to plant STILL and they may not get any crop.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I put pictures of the staining that I did to the raised bed crate in a post in the link below, about homemade wood stain. http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/358085-...-stain-canada/
    My DH asked the DS to fill the crate up with rest of the soil that was sitting on his driveway and getting in his way. LOL
    Then DS also spread the remaining soil around the backyard to try to AGAIN grow grass in a few areas. sigh. On a good note we are buying some 6-7ft cedars tommorow for a privacy screen.
    I got so much more done this year on the yard (having a back injury) than I did most other years. BUT that's because I didn't do any of the heavy work LOL. I just did design, flower picking with help from whomever came along with me, and supervision, and then my DS's, DH, brother, SIL and even a nephew helped to fix it up this year and they did lots!
    Not all at once but over the last 3 weeks I managed to finangle each of them into doing some work. I am so thankful for it all though because we will all have a nice yard to enjoy.
    Patty Smyth likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Some of my tomato plants have flowers on them. My green onions are also flowering...been ripping off those flowers in hopes that they will keep growing for a while longer this season.
    My boc choy had a flower last week (not a good thing, I ripped out the flower).
    Patty Smyth and itsmewhoelse like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

DONE!! Just need to re-sod part of the lawn.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    GoJays, itsmewhoelse and marstec like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    DONE!! Just need to re-sod part of the lawn.
    now that is awesome looking!
    I am also glad that I am not the only one who has issues with growing grass! grrrrr.
    Both the neighbour and I have said that its, try one more time this year then give up. Im just going to keep letting the gardens take over the grass areas.
    I don't want to spend the money on sod if that will die too. Im not sure what the problem is, ants, dog, other pests or just really old compacted earth in those areas.
    Most likely a combination of all, oh and the weeds!!

Here are pictures of my peonies that bloomed today! Name:  IMG-20130619-00305.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  57.8 KBName:  IMG-20130619-00306.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  88.0 KB
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My problem is my soil is clay and this doesn't allow for very deep roots so last year when we had severe drought it all died because I refuse to waste water on the lawn. I really should take off the top 6 inches but that would be too much work. I am going to take off about an inch and then put some special lawn soil then the sod, the remaining lawn I will just over seed and hope for the best.
    Mia001 and GoJays like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

my exact same problem, horrible heavy compacted clay mud! Impossible to grow in. I heard somewhere that growing potatos in clay mud helps it become softer, well never happened here, didn't ever get a good crop, and we added some new soil each year to the potato bed.
    Finally gave up and moved the strawberries to that bed this year, and then found seed potatoes on sale at my Safeway of all places 2 days ago for .99c for 2.5 kgs and figured why not try again. Now to find somewhere to put them too!
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Thu, Jun 20th, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    now that is awesome looking!
    I am also glad that I am not the only one who has issues with growing grass! grrrrr.
    Both the neighbour and I have said that its, try one more time this year then give up. Im just going to keep letting the gardens take over the grass areas.
    I don't want to spend the money on sod if that will die too. Im not sure what the problem is, ants, dog, other pests or just really old compacted earth in those areas.
    Most likely a combination of all, oh and the weeds!!

Here are pictures of my peonies that bloomed today! Name:  IMG-20130619-00305.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  57.8 KBName:  IMG-20130619-00306.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  88.0 KB
    the irises are beautiful too!
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    My problem is my soil is clay and this doesn't allow for very deep roots so last year when we had severe drought it all died because I refuse to waste water on the lawn. I really should take off the top 6 inches but that would be too much work. I am going to take off about an inch and then put some special lawn soil then the sod, the remaining lawn I will just over seed and hope for the best.

when we had our backyard worked, they put around 6 inches of yellow (poor soil IMO) and gravel underneath and the way they finish it transformed your backyard in a pool when the snow melted in Spring and on eavy raining days ( DH solved that )....so very hard to plant something, we have to dig out the gravel and put good soil.....that'S why Patty i ask you about your planting squares, they seems to be filled with a high quality soil.....did you buy bags of earth or did you have a truck of loose earth ? thank you .....i'm looking forward seeing your crops.....keep the pictures coming to show us the progress

BTW....to everyone, i'm shy to take and post pics of my backyard, eveyone'S is so well 'groomed' and neet.....mine is much on a wild side it shows how a lazy gardener i am

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    when we had our backyard worked, they put around 6 inches of yellow (poor soil IMO) and gravel underneath and the way they finish it transformed your backyard in a pool when the snow melted in Spring and on eavy raining days ( DH solved that )....so very hard to plant something, we have to dig out the gravel and put good soil.....that'S why Patty i ask you about your planting squares, they seems to be filled with a high quality soil.....did you buy bags of earth or did you have a truck of loose earth ? thank you .....i'm looking forward seeing your crops.....keep the pictures coming to show us the progress

BTW....to everyone, i'm shy to take and post pics of my backyard, eveyone'S is so well 'groomed' and neet.....mine is much on a wild side it shows how a lazy gardener i am
    Mia I uise various sources of earth.

First I used about half the dirt I took out of my large planters which was a mix of Pro-Mix, cow poo , then I bought many bags(60)of Triple Mix, also had about 8 bags of cow poo that I gt last year on sale for $1. My neighbor also had a small pile of dirt from a garden he had but no longer used. So it is all good dirt , 10 inches deep with the crappy clay soil underneath.
    Mia001 likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

We have a peonie (sp?) plant that I have supported with a tomato basket for 2 years. Now it has grown so tall that the heads weigh the stalks down. Unfortunately, the week that the peonies chose to bloom was last week when we were away, so the heads are all brown, the stems bent in half and it looks awful! I have to move a few plants that I planted too close to neighbouring plants. Our tiger lilies are blooming - all three blooms but right next to it, the bunnies bit the heads off all the day lillies! Our fern is doing well in the shade of the shed as is the bleeding heart. I still haven`t planted any annuals as I haven`t had time or the health when the weather has been good. The hostas are all overgrown - in need of separation and we have to move 2 giant aloe vera pots out into the driveway again for the summer. I'm really a "hit and miss" kind of gardener.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

All the seeds are sprouting already!!! Wooohooooo!! Radish, lettuce, beans, kale, soybeans. Kiera was all excited.
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

A few more pictures, flowers looking good. Grass not so good. Name:  Pine tree Bed June23.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  106.7 KB Front bed
    under the pine tree, really need to get some mulch on it and edged.
    Name:  IMG-20130623-00316.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  88.4 KBName:  IMG-20130623-00320.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  143.4 KB

This one has white dalia, new small villosa lilac, 2 fushias, dark purple and light purple, red nasturniums, coleus. Also planted sunflowers all along the fence on both sides of the bed. Name:  IMG-20130623-00315.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  122.8 KB
    Last picture is of the new side bed with new Emerald cedars in it. I added in a yellow columbine, 2 hostas from my garden, peonies, chrysanthemum x2, perrienal dianthus, and limelight hydrangea.
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Sun, Jun 23rd, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Natalka, Patty Smyth and GoJays like this.

Page 48 of 149 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 98 148 ... LastLast

Thread Information