Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By oscarandme
  • 1 Post By super_e
  • 1 Post By natalieroi

Thread: Writing a speech need direction

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

There is a wedding this up coming weekend and i am in the bridal party..my aunt is getting married and ask me to be a bridesmaid.She asked a family member to say a few words about the passing of her mother/my grandmother last aug to cancer but that person has suddenly decided not to come to the wedding unsure why.

So i am trying to put something together and nothing seems just right..the wedding is saturday.Do you know any websites i have tried google and i am not finding much maybe i am wording the search for but cant seem to find anything.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Well when I write something in an every day format - I always use the 5 Ws (like the show W5),

1. Who
    2. What
    3. Where
    4. When
    5. Why.

Can you call or email that person and ask for a copy of their prepared speach if there was one and say I will read it on your behalf?

What exactly do they want you to say about the passing of her mother last august? Just to explain why she is not there?

Ask the bride what to say? outlines? that is why you cannot come up with anything because you are not clear yourself.

Just say to bride, I am honoured to carry out this role and would like to know exactly what you would like me to convey to guests in memory of your beloved mother/my grandmother?

Example: My grandmorther (Name) was (Bride name) daughter and she was diagnosed in (year) with (name of cancer) and fought a long and difficult battle with cancer and unfortunately lost her battle last year on (date).

She would have loved to to be here to see her daughter wed the love of her life,
    her little girl on this beautiful day and share this special day with her and her new extended family.

Is she wering something special?

Did she have a favorite saying to lighten up the moment?

Is her husband/your grandfather still alive that he can ontribute ?

Let's start with this because I am really picking at straws here.

I do not know of a website but ..I will try if I can help. Is this your mother?

I would ask the bride-to jot down ideas to discuss and maybe fromt there we can work on it..sofar looks like it'syou and me and I don't mind helping jsut let me know when you have something either PM me or let me know you have added something.. Okay? Don't worry!! I'll help. I'm no pro by far but willing to help.

Do you have a slide show? photos? Maybe have a photo of her at the head table? that would be nice, framed.
    lecale and DianneS like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Keep it short.

Don't mention the word Cancer. And don't go into the details of how your grandmother died or what she went through with her illness.
    It is a happy occasion after all.

Say something sentimental like "I'm sure Jane's mom is looking down and smiling." or "Jane always hoped her mother would be at her wedding, and while she couldn't be here in person, she's here in all our hearts."
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Good advice super_e!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have just the same issue at the moment

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess writing a speech is the most difficult type of writing, because it presupposes public performance. You can write excellent speech, but can't represent it well, or vice versa, rather mediocre text can get ovations due to professional orator.

• As for the tips, I love those offered by Forbes:
    • Condense your theme into a 15-20 word epigram and build everything around it top-to-bottom (favorite method of John Kennedy by the way).
    • Have a structureOpening is very important, don't waste itHumanize yourself, share a lil story about you and show the audience you're just a human, just like them!
    • Keep it short, people hate long and exhausting speechesEnd strong, the final part of your speech must be impressing!

There were few times when I needed to speak in front of audience, but honestly I used assistance of services offered by https://omnipapers.com/ in writing it, I guess many people practice the same.
    Last edited by natalieroi; Sat, Sep 22nd, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
    Jez likes this.

Thread Information