User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree495Likes

Thread: QOTD: Fri 05 July: Worst gift ever!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I got a tin picture back in the 80"s in a used pizza box -one xmas from a family member -this same family member then gave both my kids at their weddings a flame pot - meanwhile my daughter lives in a condo -cant use it in -sold on kijij and got 10.00 bucks for her -they are very small
    anisa, Jezebel, Angela273 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

SHAME WOW on him! (But really, probably your 9 year old saw the ads on TV and thought it was "THE BEST GIFT EVER!")

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    My husband and I are not huge gift givers to one another for birthdays,we are more of buy something just because people. However when my 50th birthday came around he took our then 9 year old to buy me something......a freaking Shamwow. Not sure what the thought process was on that purchase but I was speechless. I graciously thanked them both for my little guys sake,but I still shake my head on this one!!I better not get the schticky for for our anniversary!!
    anisa, Jezebel, Angela273 and 5 others like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Ok. Maybe not what you were expecting Mr. Danger, but the worst gift was money.

As a kid, we would get a birthday card with $5,$10,$20. What makes it the worst gift was what the parents made us do.
    1. The gift must go in the bank. We must walk to the bank and the kid must go up to the teller to deposit.
    2. A thank you card must follow immediately. It must have a hand written comment. It was hard for kids to think of what to write.
    3. If parents and kid forgot the card, we must immediately pick up the phone to call to apologize and to thank the giver for the gift. This resulted in a 20 minute conversation about how is school and how big you are getting. For a kid, 20 minutes on the phone with this conversation was torture.
    4. We never got to spend the money on cheap candy and junk -- just what a kid wants to do. Parents said, everything we needed, they would provide -- this meant things like broccoli.

Wasn't I an ungrateful chid?
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Jul 6th, 2013 at 08:54 AM.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 9 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

As a kid, we would get a birthday card with $5,$10,$20. What makes it the worst gift was what the parents made us do.
    1. The gift must go in the bank. We must walk to the bank and the kid must go up to the teller to deposit.
    2. A thank you card must follow immediately. It must have a hand written comment. It was hard for kids to think of what to write.
    3. If parents and kid forgot the card, we must immediately pick up the phone to call to apologize and to thank the giver for the gift. This resulted in a 20 minute conversation about how is school and how big you are getting. For a kid, 20 minutes on the phone with this conversation was torture.
    4. We never got to spend the money on cheap candy and junk -- just what a kid wants to do. Parents said, everything we needed, they would provide -- this meant things like broccoli.

with us, the money went in mom's pocket, and we were told "the money is actually for the parents, not the kids"

wtf?

stealing money from children who don't get eff all is just evil.
    Jezebel, Silk, Angela273 and 7 others like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post

Bwahahahah. You'd hate me. I make my kids do all of the above.

Toys are all theirs to play with (and believe me they get a lot) but money goes into their savings account. One day they will be thankful to have a lump sum of cash to help pay for a car or a trip or something substantial.

I'm also very big on thank you cards!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Bwahahahah. You'd hate me. I make my kids do all of the above.

Toys are all theirs to play with (and believe me they get a lot) but money goes into their savings account. One day they will be thankful to have a lump sum of cash to help pay for a car or a trip or something substantial.

I'm also very big on thank you cards!
    Yes. I know parents mean well. But in the kid's mind, money is for toys and chocolate and games.
    anisa, Angela273, xox2010 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That is really awful. My partner told me very recently that his mother forgot his 16th birthday. I don't have children myself, but I frankly have a hard time understanding how one could forget their own child's birthday. I wish your family had been honest and apologized instead of trying to make you think that *you* had the days mixed up! Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    My parents forgot my birthday.....it was my 10th.
    I went the entire day waiting for a Happy Birthday or a surprise party or anything and got nothing.
    The next day I remember crying because I was so upset and my mom asked why and I flipped out.
    I then got a stupid friggin Alf doll later that night and they tried to tell me that I had my days mixed up.
    So now to this day I have a love hate relationship with my birthday.

And EVERYONE. Knows not to forget my birthday, or else! Lol
    anisa, Natalka, Silk and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Oh. My. Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    My husband and I are not huge gift givers to one another for birthdays,we are more of buy something just because people. However when my 50th birthday came around he took our then 9 year old to buy me something......a freaking Shamwow. Not sure what the thought process was on that purchase but I was speechless. I graciously thanked them both for my little guys sake,but I still shake my head on this one!!I better not get the schticky for for our anniversary!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Whoooa! Scuzzy move.

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    with us, the money went in mom's pocket, and we were told "the money is actually for the parents, not the kids"

wtf?

stealing money from children who don't get eff all is just evil.
    anisa, Jezebel, Angela273 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I'm not sure what the relevance of the cash gift is to the price of party favours, unless you expect guests to subsidise the cost of some-one else's wedding party. Which seems very "gift-grabby" to me.
    I don't expect people to dish out hundreds of dollars for a wedding gift. But I do find it particularly insulting that these people got a good meal and drank their faces off, and only gave $10 as a gift.
    tasha313, danger_dan and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Speaking of the weird gifts that kids want to give parents from tv commercials... it was a "frying pan" specifically made for flipping pancakes. Yep, my Mom got that doozy because my Dad listened to me. We used it once, didn't let the pancake cook enough on one side, so when we went to flip it the batter was runny enough to go all down into the coils of the burner. And that, was the end of that.
    anisa, Jezebel, Silk and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i love all the stories of hopeful children getting mom a gift that might mean oodles of treats

so cute, and i honestly don't blame the dads for going along with it. how do you tell a kid that their gift for momma might not be her dream gift, when it is clearly something the kid has been dreaming of every time one of those tempting infomercials came on tv.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sun, Jan 18th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^ oh my gosh, I LOVED my spirograph when I was a kid!
    anisa, Jezebel, Angela273 and 3 others like this.

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

worst gift I got was from one of my best friends for my birthday.
    She got me a nail clipper for my cats..

I opened it and was like oh.. um... thank you for thinking of my cats, but I actually already have clippers for them.
    She understood and returned it, and in exchange she bought me a Hairbrush.

She's always very strange about gifts.. this year she gave me a bag of Cadbury Creme Eggs.
    Yum but kinda weird LOL
    Silk, Angela273 and danger_dan like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information