User Tag List

Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    A nursery nearby had the one gallon pots for $79.99!

Once you get a bloom or two, I find that the next year, the number doubles and so on. Here is the wide shot:

I was a garden centre the other day and found a fern leaf peony it was about 2 inches high and they wanted $50! for it even with 30% off it was just way too much!
    GoJays likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ridiculous prices on the fern leaf peony plants. I refuse to give that much for one plant that may not even survive.

I have a delphinium that started out really well this spring, there are three or four spikes on it. It's rained too much and it's planted in a really boggy area and it's starting to die Stupid rain. Normally, this area is only boggy in the winter/early spring but it's rained so damned much this year that it's just not drying up. And that's where I planted my David Austin rose too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

It's been stinkin' hot the past few days. The garden is growing like crazy! Here are a few things blooming this morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have zucchini, potatoes, peas, and tomatoes flowering in my garden. I should be able to start picking some peas within a few days. I have some tomatoes already growing. I started growing potatoes because dh was willing to spend big bucks to buy baby potatoes. I told him that for the price of 1lb of baby potatoes I could plant a whole area of them. My potato plants are crowded, but I have 30 hills. I know how to raid baby potatoes and let the plant continue growing. I'll have to check on this year's potatoes in a week or so.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Jul 12th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I have a question about zucchini. I just have 4 plants in a barrel and the leaves are all going yellow but in the center I have new greener leaves coming out and there are a ton of flowers on them too. This is my first attempt at zucchini so I do not know if this is the normal process where they shed the older leaves and grow new ones. Do they require a lot of water ,what are your thoughts, anyone?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I have a question about zucchini. I just have 4 plants in a barrel and the leaves are all going yellow but in the center I have new greener leaves coming out and there are a ton of flowers on them too. This is my first attempt at zucchini so I do not know if this is the normal process where they shed the older leaves and grow new ones. Do they require a lot of water ,what are your thoughts, anyone?
    Sometimes some outside leaves on zucchini plants die off. They do not like being watered from above and will develop white areas on their leaves from being watered from the top. Do not over water zucchini. Once the zucchinis start to grow, watch out for flower rot. Prevent flower rot by making sure that your plants have enough calcium in the soil. I have added bonemeal to mine in the past and it basically fixed the issue.

Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Jul 12th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Sometimes some outside leaves on zucchini plants die off. They do not like being watered from above and will develop white areas on their leaves from being watered from the top. Do not over water zucchini. Once the zucchinis start to grow, watch out for flower rot. Prevent flower rot by making sure that your plants have enough calcium in the soil. I have added bonemeal to mine in the past and it basically fixed the issue.

Thanks , I also now realize they are too close together, oh well it was an experiment for this year.
    Angela273 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Yep, zucchini get huge too! I forgot at first and had my ds's plant some seeds in the square foot garden. Then a couple days later thought oh wait just one of those leaves will be 1 foot and provide way too much shade! We dug up what seeds we could and then for the stragglers that started plants waited for them to get a bit bigger then moved the plant to a bigger area. I then planted my pumpkin in the same area and it took off faster than the zucchini. So I moved one zucchini to the flower bed by the rhubarb, and have one left by the pumpking buts he's growing slow. Will see how they do too. I think that one or two plants are enough unless you love zucchini. My uncle requested I grow some so I did.
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I got corn at the market today it was awesome .

Junior Canuck fierce_angel_6000's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post

I had blossom rot (calcium deficiency), so wanted a quick and easy remedy. I had some calcium vitamins so stuck some calcium vitamins into the soil and watered with water-calcium vitamin mixture. That helped lots
    anisa, Patty Smyth and Angela273 like this.

Junior Canuck fierce_angel_6000's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm container gardening and have the following ripening: cherry tomatoes, yellow zucchini, green beans, baby bell peppers. I also have lettuce, various herbs, and radishes. Can't wait to eat them!
    Patty Smyth and Angela273 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wow ladies!! The pics are amazing. I am just thrilled to have my Chinese lantern plant back all thriving and taking over a good deal of the walkway!!! They will soon be turning all orange!! The rain was good for something, That and my Clematis was really flowery, but many have already died back now.

babies teach us acceptance

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

30 + degrees for the next 5 days , can't wait to see what results that brings.
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Name:  IMG_00000275.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  84.6 KB

I only have to balcony. Here is a petunia I'm really glad I picked up (yellow and purple) in my old rhododendron pot. The rhodo didn't survive th winter. Kept waiting for it to do something and at the end I planted some petunias and black eyed Susan vine to climb on dead rhodo branches.
    GoJays and itsmewhoelse like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

my new white lily that bloomed, cant wait the for the other one to bloom too. Name:  IMG-20130714-00517.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  119.1 KB

The veggie garden is pumping out the veggies, we have some carrots, beets, peas, cherry tomatoes, and a few jalapenos ready to go. radish were long done and we left a couple of plants to seed,and for the bad bugs to eat too. It was a very slow start then things just seem to be taking off.
    Waiting on more tomatoes, beans, cukes, onionns, , zuchinni, and pumpkins to ripen.

I have to recommend this herb to everyone who likes to grow them or who is looking for a strong fragrance for the garden, its a LIME basil. It is so fragrant, especially when you brush it or squish a leaf mmmmmmm. Now to figure out if I will use it to make body butter etc and/or preserve some too.
    GoJays and tobiwobi like this.

Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 ... LastLast

Thread Information