User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: UPDATE: I was wrong: *RANT* Edmontonians HATE people from Ontario

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    I realize you are just venting and have every right to voice your opinion.
    Having said that everyone has the right to respond to your post

I personally felt angry when I read your post. I know a lot of people that live in Edmonton. Mostly family but also some very close friends. All of which are some of the friendliest people you'd ever meet.

I think maybe if you take a deep breath you would realize that there are a lot of people in your community that would rather help you feel welcome rather than make you feel hated. You seem to have a lot of situations where you feel hated and unwelcome and that's sad. I don't understand, however, how you can know someone doesn't like you just because you have Ontario plates without ever having spoken with them?

Maybe your response to these people should be one of friendliness and kindness so that you turn their opinion of Ontarians around and when the next family from Ontario moves to your complex they will be met with open arms.

Either way I hope these incidents are very isolated and as the weeks approach you feel more at home and more welcome in your community.

I personal love people from Edmonton. In fact, my son is moving out there next week and I know a lot of people are anxiously awaiting his arrival.
    I fully agree and welcome your opinion about being able to respond and feel any which way you'd like about someone elses posts. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I welcome those that I may not have explored yet.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to meet your friends and the families that you know who are awesome people. I have found a few people who where friendly, and have had no issues with many of the people I have come into contact with - but I am also human and realize that one of my faults is remembering the things/people who rubbed me that wrong vs first remembering the ones who didn't. I am sorry for this fault in myself.

The reason why I know this particular fellow tenant in our townhouse complex does not "enjoy" our quiet company in the complex is that she was also giving the stink eye to my husband when he first moved here in June, and I have also seen her do the same thing to another family that also moved into the complex with Ontario plates. Maybe I'm just noticing it more b/c we know no one here and only came to work and do not plan on staying long. Like I said before, we choose not to get involved with our neighbours more then the occasional Hello, only bc we're not interested in any gossip and b.s. that comes with living in such close proximity with your neighbours.

I was actually floored when I was told by my husband that come of the native born Edmontonians believe that all Ontarians are from Toronto and EVERYONE from Toronto think too highly of themselves, are pushy, inconsiderate, and are not truely "Canadian". My husband just shrugged his shoulders and kept working, though he did notice when a few of his fellow co-workers stopped talking to him and also started giving him the "stink eye". Maybe he's just a better human being then myself and can let things roll of his shoulders a lot quicker then myself - I need to rant and express my opinion in the moment in the moment, either to my husband or anonymously online, then am over my issue once it is written down.

My husband and I are of the same opinion that we will not be staying in this town, but instead moving to one smaller (100,000 or less inhabitants) town as that is what we are use to and greatly prefer over a large city....even Windsor was a little too big for us. We're so use to being able to keep our car/house/garage unlocked when we're home, without fear of being robbed, that coming to Edmonton with the huge police signs in our neighbourhood telling the inhabitants to lock our cars/garage at all times b/c of the high theft rate really does not sit well with us. Hence why we won't be staying once my husbands contract is done.

I truely hope your son thoroughly enjoys his stay here as I am assuming there are a lot of fantastic people waiting for him. I also greatly apologize that I have made you so angry, and if I have made anyone else angry. That was not my original intent and realize after rereading my op, that I come off as exceptionally rude and mean. I am truely sorry for this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by nainai0585 View Post
    1) Just today, I was driving and following behind a woman who was impeeding traffic (going 10 below the posted speed limit)
    Really?! I don't know about Ontario.. but here, posted speeds are LIMITS, not MINIMUMS. Going 10 below the speed limit is perfectly acceptable.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by RonBC View Post
    Really?! I don't know about Ontario.. but here, posted speeds are LIMITS, not MINIMUMS. Going 10 below the speed limit is perfectly acceptable.
    When I was taking the drivers education course in Windsor, it was constantly drilled into me by the instructor to always go the posted speed limit, anything below is now impeeding traffic and you will be ticket for it as it is against the law (unless weather conditions prove otherwise). I thought this was the same law throughout Canada? Try having your same train of thought on the 401 - if your driving 80-90 kmh on the 401, you will either a) piss off 99.9% of the other drivers, b) cause a line-up behind you with A LOT of angry people, especially the portions that still only have 2 lanes and the transports suddenly feel like passing each other for 20-45 minutes, c)you could potentially cause a small/large scale accident because everyone else on the road is assuming you are driving the MINIMUM of the posted speed limit. Maybe things are just different in Alberta when it comes to driving....at least I can say there is A LOT more to see then in SW Ontario, you look sideways from Windsor and you can see London (my clients Scout leaders use to say this all the time, I thought it was funny).

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee09 View Post
    Sorry to hear it sounds like you're having a rough start of your life in Edmonton, I sincerely hope things will get better for you. I agree with some previous posters in that I truly hope these are just isolated cases of jerks that can be found most everywehere. I moved to Edmonton 15 years ago, lived there 10 years and never heard of any Ontario biases myself. Loved living there so your title "*RANT* Edmontonians HATE people from Ontario " threw me off, plus the "...out of this highly unfriendly and rude town" even though I did note you also did say "some people" at points. Best of Luck.
    I graduated in June and flew to Alberta.
    I stayed in Edmonton for a week. Had a really nice time and people at West Edmonton Mall, Staples, restaurants, hotel, airport shuttle dude, Timmys... everyone was really nice

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Are you by ANY chance walking around town with a Maple Leafs jersey ? Because for SOME people... that could do it you know ?

Cheer up, if you've encountered that many bad apples already then you've covered the allotted % of jerks and now everyone you meet is bound to be welcoming... it's just simple math

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    59 (100%)

I moved from Ontario to Edmonton too. I did not have that kind of experience unless when I try proving my superiority for coming from a more advanced city. I suspect some how you are conveying that from your attitude or body language may be unintentionally.

I find Edmonton way more rural but again its how people live here and they don't have to change just because of us. But that is also why it is much easier to do couponing in Alberta . I don't understand why would you try making that lady drive at "your" desired speed? I really don't understand your issue here. If you couldn't pass her then leave it specially if she had a child in her car too. Don't take things personally, try to learn.

As a matter of fact, it is actually much harder to drive here because many people don't follow the legal traffic rules. I remember a guy just jumped in front of my car expecting me to hit the breaks in green light in 60 km speed area with no stopping signs. His back was face road so I could suspect the least of his intention. Yes, I had never encountered some thing like this before and I hardly avoided a much possible accident but again I can't change the way things work here. Needless to say that I felt sick for the rest of the day that day but I try to learn from experience and that does help a lot.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sounds like you're yearning for Ontario, i'd move back and let hubby finish up his contract then reunite there.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Actually I am having a different problem, I am from NS and living in Ontario, have been here for almost 2 years now and when I am say I am from NS, which gets pretty obvious because of my accent, people dont take me seriously, dont realize I have a university degree and am decently smart. It could be me being nice trying to fit into this province but I get frustrated when people treat me like i am a teenager or in my early twenties, when I am in my late twenties, married with a 5 year old! I think it is nice that I frequently get carded, but I am over other parents and professionals speaking down to me. My parents were very well educated, and so am I because of them, I dont need to be treated this way. I dont know where every town is in Ontario but I am getting better. It is hard moving provinces and people not understanding anything about where you come from. I sympathize with you as I can understand.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't think that's an Ontario thing. I think it is because you look young (getting carded), so it is more ageism. Strangers talk to me like that sometimes and I'm 31. I also get carded. Toronto has so many different accents that people are so used to them and generally don't care (from what I've seen anyway). I hope it gets better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by krrosell View Post
    Actually I am having a different problem, I am from NS and living in Ontario, have been here for almost 2 years now and when I am say I am from NS, which gets pretty obvious because of my accent, people dont take me seriously, dont realize I have a university degree and am decently smart. It could be me being nice trying to fit into this province but I get frustrated when people treat me like i am a teenager or in my early twenties, when I am in my late twenties, married with a 5 year old! I think it is nice that I frequently get carded, but I am over other parents and professionals speaking down to me. My parents were very well educated, and so am I because of them, I dont need to be treated this way. I dont know where every town is in Ontario but I am getting better. It is hard moving provinces and people not understanding anything about where you come from. I sympathize with you as I can understand.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

When I was away at school in another city (in Ontario) I had several jerks from Edmonton make comments saying "you're from Toronto so you think you're better than everyone." They said these comments about me to my DH, who was my BF at the time. I was on a student council and didn't realize organizing a trip/party/outing/whatever and including everyone regardless of where they live means I think I am better than everyone. I sure didn't hand out application forms asking for home towns!

At first I thought it was because they had some bias against Ontario, but then I learned it's because those particular people are just jerks in every way

There's jerks everywhere, in every city. Your DH's coworkers may be rude, but it's because they are jerks. There are nice people everywhere too. You will find them too. So sorry you're having a bad time so far, but it will get better.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

My husband was in the military and we had to move every 2-3years all over Canada. We lived in Germany, BC, Ontario, Manitoba, and now Edmonton. Every province and town has its weirdos....it will get better over time, trust me..until then, smile and go and stack at SOF and LD..

CouponNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I went to Calgary for 4 months and the people were so friendly. They were so nice and seemed very laid back and welcoming. I had the best time in Alberta...I've never been to Edmonton though- so maybe it's different..hopefully it gets better, don't let people get to you- just enjoy the beautiful mountains

CouponNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by krrosell View Post
    I just want to say all the people from NS that I have met are some of the nicest, most down to earth people
    krrosell and quicktocoupon like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Thanks guys, having a tough day at work today... those comments made my day I still laugh though when Ontarians say they are going to the beach.... hehhe... my beach has salt water and a tide that goes in and out!
    pippinelkhound and DianneS like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

that is really unusual. two of my best friends moved to Calgary and absolutely love it and would never consider moving back to Ontario. Big city but with small town friendliness and they really enjoy the slower pace and easier commute. when they come back for visits they complain about the crazy drivers in the GTA. Give yourself some time to adjust. It is a really big adjustment at first. Courtesy on the roads always goes a long way even when the other driver isn't in the right. Life is too short.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information