User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Planning on buying a Xbox 360 and need help

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Expired on: Mon, Sep 16th, 2013
    So DH's Xbox-360 is slowly dying. The disk slot won't always open when you tell it to and sometimes it has trouble reading disks, and I'm sure there are some other issues. Its 8-10 years old. He says its been slowly going down for about a year and maybe has another year left if we are lucky.

So of course I'm planning on possibly getting him one for x-mas but I need SC's help since I know nothing of this type of thing!

He says that his new one would need to be one of the better ones - so I assume meaning more memory. He only plays first person shooter games. He does not use kinect or xbox live. We occasionally use it to watch DVD's.

I've looked on the walmart website and best buy and have come up with two different "sizes"? - 4GB and 250GB is there others?

What would be the best console for him to get in terms of memory/whatever the GB's are for?
    What are some general prices that I can expect - Obviously going to try and wait for the best time with Christmas coming for the lowest deal. I'm not looking for any bundles, just the console. Saw the 250GB one for $199 in WM anniversary flyer, should I expect it to go lower elsewhere eventually or will that price come up again closer to christmas - any ideas?
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

There is supposed to be a new Xbox coming out this xmas. That means the old one will go on crazy sale and the new one will be uber expensive. Best to hold off until then I think!
    uanoor, Aslan and PurpleBunny89 like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'd wait for the new Xbox "one" aka "720" that comes out in Nov

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    There is supposed to be a new Xbox coming out this xmas. That means the old one will go on crazy sale and the new one will be uber expensive. Best to hold off until then I think!
    +1. I'd suggest the new Xbox One, but it will be $499 at launch, with no guarantees concerning backwards compatibility. You could wait until the new Xbox is released, then either purchase a 360 new or used.
    Last edited by Aslan; Wed, Sep 11th, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: For Clarity.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    +1. I'd suggest the new Xbox One, but it will be $499 at launch, with no guarantees concerning backwards compatibility. You could wait until the new Xbox is released, then either purchase one new or used.

Thanks guys, had no idea there was a "new" one coming out. Whats the difference between this new Xbox and the current ones available?
    uanoor likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Not sure. DH reads all this stuff on slashdot.org. They have nerd news.

Here's a search about Xbox

http://slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=xbox

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Thanks guys, had no idea there was a "new" one coming out. Whats the difference between this new Xbox and the current ones available?
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Well the xbox one is the next gen so better graphics and such.

Personally I'm done with microsoft. Too much crap throughout the years and learning that the xbox one won't be backwards compatible just ended it for me [I have about 40 xbox 360 and 15 xbox games I play and enjoy regularly so I wasn't happy].

I'll be switching back to the ps family next year. But for now....

If your husbands xbox 360 is that old than it must be the original 'fat' white one.. I had the 360 2007 bundle xbox since xmas '07.. in 2010 is had issues with reading discs and such.. my dad found a guy on kijiji in 2011 and he checked it all out because i got the red ring..kinda.. turns out the xbox was completely FILTHY on the inside.. it was so bad he took pictures as proof to people when he'd relay the story! omigod.. lol. He even had to take it outside onto the balconey to clean it; it was that bad..lol. But back in march I had the problems again.. discs couldn't be read [dvds and games..new and old].. so i watched a few videos and took the machine apart myself and cleaned it.. oh yeah.,. it was DIRTY! lol.

But my dad went to easyhome and got me a 250gb xbox 360...so i gave my other one to my nephew.

The 4gb is only good for people who don't save alot of games or install games onto the harddrive or getting add-ons; etc.

My old xbox was 60 gb which they don't make anymore but it was just enough for me.

I'd wait until december, after the xbox one launch. The 360 should get a price drop after that. I'd go for the 250gb. But that's just me.
    Shwa Girl and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil.Kitten View Post
    Well the xbox one is the next gen so better graphics and such.

Personally I'm done with microsoft. Too much crap throughout the years and learning that the xbox one won't be backwards compatible just ended it for me [I have about 40 xbox 360 and 15 xbox games I play and enjoy regularly so I wasn't happy].

I'll be switching back to the ps family next year. But for now....

If your husbands xbox 360 is that old than it must be the original 'fat' white one.. I had the 360 2007 bundle xbox since xmas '07.. in 2010 is had issues with reading discs and such.. my dad found a guy on kijiji in 2011 and he checked it all out because i got the red ring..kinda.. turns out the xbox was completely FILTHY on the inside.. it was so bad he took pictures as proof to people when he'd relay the story! omigod.. lol. He even had to take it outside onto the balconey to clean it; it was that bad..lol. But back in march I had the problems again.. discs couldn't be read [dvds and games..new and old].. so i watched a few videos and took the machine apart myself and cleaned it.. oh yeah.,. it was DIRTY! lol.

But my dad went to easyhome and got me a 250gb xbox 360...so i gave my other one to my nephew.

The 4gb is only good for people who don't save alot of games or install games onto the harddrive or getting add-ons; etc.

My old xbox was 60 gb which they don't make anymore but it was just enough for me.

I'd wait until december, after the xbox one launch. The 360 should get a price drop after that. I'd go for the 250gb. But that's just me.
    Super helpful!

What does backward compatible mean? Meaning old 360 games won't be able to be played in the new machine? Will new machine xbox games be able to be played in the old 360?

I'm considering getting our current console checked out by the same people who repaired my cell phone when it had water damage in the charging port. Depends on the price of repair though as take into consideration how much a new one would just be.

EDIT: It is the old original fat white one

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

You need not wait for Xmas ..there should be Black Friday sales prior to that..even in Canada...I think its during US thanksgiving , I believe.

With increased duty free limits , lot of people might even get stuff like that from US .

The new Sony Playstation 4 is apparently much better than the new XBOX and I think cheaper too...its going to be 399.99 ( price confirmed ) and the new XBOX is going to be 499.99 (apparently)

The old XBOX should further drop in price when the new one comes out.
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Thu, Sep 12th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

If he is looking for a Sony Playstation 3 ..the console below is great .

But he will be stuck with all his XBOX games though

Its 500 GB capacity + comes with 6 PS3 games

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...856f76533aen02

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Super helpful!

What does backward compatible mean? Meaning old 360 games won't be able to be played in the new machine? Will new machine xbox games be able to be played in the old 360?
    As the new xbox one won't be backwards compatible, the games he has currently he wouldn't be able to use if he got the new xbox one console.

And also, the new xbox one games wouldn't be able to be played in his old console, he would need to still get the xbox 360 games.

Xbox is putting out games for xbox one and for xbox 360 right now. Just like PS is releasing games in the PS3 and the PS4 version atm.

If he isn't needing to get the brand new type of console and is willing to just have a new or new to him xbox 360 console, this is probably the best time to get one at a great price as the new one is being released.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you actually wanted something for video games, invest in a good computer/parts

a graphics card that costs the same as the new Xbox ONE, or ps4 is a lot better than what is in them

also plus, you get a computer ...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think we're straying off the original question: She wants a replacement XB360.

A replacement XB360, with a 250gb harddrive (which is likely better than what he has now - or at worst on-par) is $199 at Wal-Mart during their anniversary sale right now. FutureShop and Best Buy are offering the same deal (likely in response to Wal-Mart)

Everything he currently owns (games, controllers, etc) will be compatible with it, so you wont have any concerns there.

Also, if you are a Costco member, then watch (like a hawk) the video game display. Usually they are just place holder cards, but the prices on their current gen consoles have been dropping fast. Watch the prices that end in xxx.97 to note that it's on clearance. You will likely wind up with a bundle of some sort (extra games, controllers, accessories) but you wont care for the price you'll pay will still be below regular retail for a bare console. (I just bought a PS3 250gb with move controller, PSEye, Steering wheel attachment, and Little Big Planet carting for $169 at my local Costco. The bundle is $289 everywhere else, and a bare console is $199 everywhere else)

--

That being said, don't over complicate your decision by whatever "new" that might be coming.

First up, the Xbox One is going to require a whole lot more add ons and accessories than what comes in the box. An extra controller, perhaps -- but not to mention GAMES. If he has no games for the new system, then the new console is pointless. And expect most games to cost $60 apiece.

Secondly, NOTHING he has is going to be compatible with it. So (seeing above point) you're also going to need to replace whatever accessories, etc he has now with newer versions.

Lastly, my personal advice is to NEVER buy a console in the first stride of it's release, especially if it's not going to be compatible with your current items. It's a complete unknown, and it's success will also be a complete unknown. Give it at LEAST 6 months (more like 9) to see how it fairs with consumers, reviewers, etc. And allow them to realize some of the real-world bugs and glitches that will need improving in the second stride of release.

One final thought: The Xbox One has a lot of changes planned for it that make it more of a "pay per use" system than a typical gaming console. While Microsoft back peddled on many of these ideas since they announced them at E3, you can be sure that the notions are still alive and brewing in the minds of the developers. Once they get the console to market I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly migrate to that model. - BTW those notions REQUIRE an XBox Live connection. So if he doesn't use Live now, he may have to start if he gets an Xbox One.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Sep 14th, 2013 at 07:57 AM.
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^
    thats why i recommend just getting a computer that can play games....you get the games that are usually cheaper, and a computer...

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    If he is looking for a Sony Playstation 3 ..the console below is great .

But he will be stuck with all his XBOX games though

Its 500 GB capacity + comes with 6 PS3 games

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...856f76533aen02
    Quote Originally Posted by mcon View Post
    ^
    thats why i recommend just getting a computer that can play games....you get the games that are usually cheaper, and a computer...

The topic at hand is Xbox. Not a computer, Not a PS whatever. Xbox. Thats it. No other system input needed. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information