User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree291Likes

Thread: Am I the only couponer that still pays money??

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not a rant but feel kind of bummed. I was dumb enough to read an AMERICAN couponing forum *facepalm*.
    I know feel like a complete chump for not being able to get everything everywhere for free always. I feel like a fraud for still paying "sale prices" and buying things I don't have coupons for. I know that I'm saving tons of money just by paying attention to my spending, but I seriously think the "bragging section" has warped my perception on spending lol. Like if I've spent over $1/item im obviously doin something wrong *eyeroll*
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, of course you aren't!

Depending upon what we are shopping for, I just do the best I can with sales and coupons.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

you are not doing something wrong -we cant compete with the u.s -but you can stack out west -don't feel bad -sometimes we all buy things with a coupon even if its not on sale -we are all not purfect in life-reading the brag section helps us get better deals that we may have missed -but don't feel compelled to keep up with others stockpiles -they may have a family of 6 who knows

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanya View Post
    Not a rant but feel kind of bummed. I was dumb enough to read an AMERICAN couponing forum *facepalm*.
    I know feel like a complete chump for not being able to get everything everywhere for free always.
    Sometimes, we
    > have a coupon for an item
    > get bonus points for buying the item
    > find the item on sale
    > buy the item on No Tax day
    > and are able to pay with accumulated points (SDM points, Air Miles, PC points, etc.)

We can get a really good deal here in Canada, but just not every week.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

They get great deals but you can only use so many cans of shaving cream or whatever.. there also seems to be for lack of a better word.. some very 'creative' use of coupons... to each their own. .. some of it isn't how I like to coupon... I find that we can get some great deals here when combining sales, clearances, coupons and points. I am always amazed at what I get for free or nearly free. If you save $10 a week using price matching, sales or coupons, in one year you would have $520 ..thats doable and that $520 would feel nice to have :o) it all adds up.. just do what you can..
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Love reading people's brag here but then I feel sometimes I am the only one who is spending a lot of money weekly still. Then it comes down to what you are buying a lot of the time as well. I usually buy a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables and meat every week and I have not seen coupons for them. I see a lot of coupons for junk items and I usually buy some cookies and crackers occasionally but not on regular basis. I buy a lot of butter but only once did I have coupon for that, never had coupon for milk as well. It seems like only items I use coupons on are yogurt, soap, shampoo, deodorant.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

There are plenty of times I go shopping and have a grocery bill for over $50, and maybe only use one $0.50 coupons. Those are usually the trips where I'm getting fresh produce, phone cards, meat, cheeses, and bakery buns (my family is a little picky on brands when it comes to cheese, and where they get their deli meat).

Then there are trips (usually Shoppers Drug Mart) where I'll spend less than $50 by using $20+ in coupons - those trips I'm usually stocking up on certain items, and gaining points with promo events.

My feeling on it all:

It doesn't matter if you save $0.50 or $50 in coupons - any savings is good.
    And it could very well mean that you're buying things you need, instead of using coupons for things that you can use, but aren't a necessity.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I'd rather pay money for stuff in Canada like cheese and yogurt than get it for free. In Canada it isn't pumped full of hormones.

I spend $60 per week in food for two people. A lot of the brags here are not for full grocery shops. Read the breakdowns very carefully. Note they rarely include any meat/produce. Those brags with free items often include stuff like toothpaste/laundry soap/cleaning chemicals/air fresheners. So yes, their OOP is zero because those people only bought the free items in that shop and did their food shopping in a separate shop that you don't see here.

The brags, in my opinion, should be about helping each other save money by teaching others how to replicate the deals. Since you can't use coupons on meat or produce generally, why would they need to brag about that, right?

You also have to look at what those Americans were buying. DH lived in US for a few years and I would go visit. Americans generally don't eat like us. Just look at the products on their grocery shelves. Is free junk food a good idea?
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Sep 30th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    A lot of the brags here are not for full grocery shops. Read the breakdowns very carefully.
    ^ This

I post brags, but my brags are for good deals that I was able to take part in. I don't really consider a normal shopping trip as a brag, as it's nothing special. Just getting things on sale when I can, and using a coupon or two.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I always pay something...ALWAYS..lol. As long I get some savings I am happy.
    I don't even have a stockpile....but I don't really need one.
    for shame...I know. Don't look at me differently! lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think you got to do the best you can. My grocery bill is usually between 150-200 a week for 4 people, and theres rarely any coupons for products we use, but I'm not going to feed my family crap just because there's more coupons for crappy food and I can save money.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Everyone is still spending money. They just aren't bragging about the pork tenderloin they picked up for $2.99/lb this week at Sobey's, because there were no coupons and it wasn't free or almost free. But it was still a good deal, and will feed my family nicely.

I do use some food coupons, and they help to reduce my grocery bill. And a few months ago I started price matching, and that made even more difference in my grocery bill.

Don't think that because of the brags, people are providing all the food for the families for free. They aren't. And even on the American shows like Extreme Couponers, if you look at what they buy, clearly what you see is only the stuff they get good deals on. There are no fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy or meat in their carts. That doesn't reflect what they really buy on a normal shopping trip (or at least, I hope it doesn't, or these folks will be severely malnourished).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

In reality, the best way to save money is to only buy stuff that you actually need. Spending money on something you don't need, but that is "a good deal", usually actually costs more in the end. And remember, that most of the non-food items that people are getting for "free" are not actually free as they are paying tax of them.

My best tip for saving money? Don't shop (other than grocery shopping - and don't venture into the non-gorocery parts of the store). If you aren't shopping, and you don't see and item, you won't want the item, and you won't spend money.

When my step-daughter tells me how the new item of clothing or shoes she bought was a "great deal, cause it was 70% off", I remind her that she still paid the 30%. If it is a want, and not a need, there was no savings there. If it was a need, then yes, savings.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Haha, I really liked your rant. I like to save my receipts and tot them up because it usually says "you saved 25% today". It makes me feel better although sometimes I'll buy food that i wouldn't normally buy so it's not entirely accurate.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne1 View Post
    I don't even have a stockpile....but I don't really need one.
    for shame...I know. Don't look at me differently! lol
    Nothing wrong with this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information