User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By imagine
  • 1 Post By LimeFizzy
  • 1 Post By poppleton

Thread: Exchange on item purchased on 20x the points day?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Just wondering what happens to our points if an item purchased on 20x the points day is exchanged? Hubby picked up the wrong face wash, which we can't use due to its scent. Will they just do a direct exchange, or will we lose our points when they "return" the wrong one and have to "rebuy" the right one? Thanks!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

You will lose your points. If that product doesn't affect the 50.00 mark for points then you won't lose too many points returning it. Good luck
    Last edited by couponlady; Sat, Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've done this before. Shoppers doesn't actually "exchange", you have to refund the item and buy the new one.

I told the cashier my concern about the promo points and she was totally understanding. I made sure that the new item was the same price and she did a refund with no receipt so my optimum account was not affected.

Edit: depends on your cashier...if you're just exchanging the facewash for another in the same brand/range, the cashier may just let you take it without doing anything on the register. Happens to me with dove, cover girl items, etc.
    Last edited by imagine; Sun, Nov 17th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
    peachies and luckbealady like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I've done this before. Shoppers doesn't actually "exchange", you have to refund the item and buy the new one.

I told the cashier my concern about the promo points and she was totally understanding. I made sure that the new item was the same price and she did a refund with no receipt so my optimum account was not affected.

Edit: depends on your cashier...if you're just exchanging the facewash for another in the same brand/range, the cashier may just let you take it without doing anything on the register. Happens to me with dove, cover girl items, etc.
    Straight exchanging is bad. This affects their store on hand counts which then affects when the products come in because if it says they have 3 when they only have 2, it may not be ordered right away until the merchandiser catches it...months down the road. It hurts the store and ultimately hurts the customer too. All you have to do is ask for a no receipt return. Return your wrong product and put it on a gift card, then buy the one you want with the gift card. Simple.
    krysta lynne likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@limefizzy, good point to bring up!

While I agree it's better to do the paper trail way...the times I have done a straight exchange has always been at the cashier's recommendation. I've only ever done this for like items (ie. a different foundation shade). Definitely, the cashier should do the register way but if they say to just take it, I'm not going to argue with them.

For small value drugstore purchases like this, I don't think an inventory discrepancy of +-1 is material. Plus, a lot of people don't bother with hassle of going back to the store to exchange so I wouldn't think its a common issue.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    @limefizzy, good point to bring up!

While I agree it's better to do the paper trail way...the times I have done a straight exchange has always been at the cashier's recommendation. I've only ever done this for like items (ie. a different foundation shade). Definitely, the cashier should do the register way but if they say to just take it, I'm not going to argue with them.

For small value drugstore purchases like this, I don't think an inventory discrepancy of +-1 is material. Plus, a lot of people don't bother with hassle of going back to the store to exchange so I wouldn't think its a common issue.
    The cashier is not trained properly then. Each product has a specific UPC that is unique to each like product. Different shades have different UPCs. There are a lot of people that come back to return/exchange. +-1 over the course of a year becomes an even greater woe on the store as a whole come inventory time. Not arguing or anything just pointing out that it costs the store money doing it that way -- cashiers are instructed not to do that. One reason why returns are done in separate transactions rather than attached to purchases as well. And yes, I wouldn't argue with the cashier if they say go ahead; it's not my store.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses. I'm going to head in and see what they can do. Normally it wouldn't be worth the hassle, but it was a $13 facewash and that's expensive for us . I'll let you know how it goes!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They can refund the one you purchased then ring in the one you want and not use your optimum card. This way you keep the points and they keep things straight on their end, this is what my store has done.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachies View Post
    Walmart doesn't care as long as they sell the item in their store.
    Walmart doesn't care? Really? I challenge you to take a product that you bought at Shoppers that is sold at Walmart to Walmart asking them for an exchange. Tell them "I bought this product at Shoppers, but it's a hassle to exchange it there.. so I want to do it here". Let us know the outcome.

Ron.
    Last edited by couponlady; Sat, Nov 23rd, 2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: no need for a harsh comment

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

We were able to do the exchange without messing with the points - thanks all!
    luckbealady likes this.

Thread Information